New ECV's appearing at WDW

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
Nice to see some new equipment coming in!

Source: Orlando Parks News

New ECVs Being Introduced at Walt Disney World Resort
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 | Posted by OTPN Administrator

A new model of Electronic Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) is in circulation around the Walt Disney World Resort (some of the first ones were spotted at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom in the past few weeks).
While the overall look of the new ECVs will appear to be familiar to previous users, they include some interesting changes that simplify the controls and will even allow Guests to charge their mobile devices using a new USB port.

Here's the complete list of the new and improved features available on the new ECVs:​
        • New brake location. The brake lever is now located in the back of the ECV, above the right wheel;
        • Handles and controls. The lever on the right moves the ECV forward, while the lever on the left moves the ECV in reverse. Gone is the small button that Guests had to push in the past;
        • LED battery gauge. When flashing, the driver should restart their ECV;
        • USB charging port. Note that this port will only charge devices while the ECV is on.
Guests that have a hard time walking around the parks will surely find these changes to be very positive.​

1) Something tells me
. . . EMS and First Aid is going to get really busy!
. . . this could be called Permanent Employment for Lawyers
2) People with ECV's are used to the controls on their own units or units they rented in the past.
3) Now, WDW is asking those folks to unlearn,
. . . and, to use different hands for different forward and reverse.
. . . and, to reach for the brake
4) Going to be awfully confusing to a lot of people.
5) I can visualize ECV's riding up the backs of legs for people in front of the ECV.

1) Something tells me
. . . EMS and First Aid is going to get really busy!
. . . this could be called Permanent Employment for Lawyers
2) People with ECV's are used to the controls on their own units or units they rented in the past.
3) Now, WDW is asking those folks to unlearn,
. . . and, to use different hands for different forward and reverse.
. . . and, to reach for the brake

4) Going to be awfully confusing to a lot of people.
5) I can visualize ECV's riding up the backs of legs for people in front of the ECV.
The comment in the article about the brake is a misunderstood item by the person who wrote the article.

What they are calling the 'brake' would actually be the control lever that allows you to either have the ECV in 'use mode' or in freewheel mode, so it can be pushed.
The brakes on an ECV or power wheelchair on continually on unless the throttle is engaged. If the driver is not engaging the throttle to go forward, the brakes are automatically on.

The described new controls are more similar to my personal ECV as well as many common models from offsite vendors. The previous were odd to me and these seem more "mainstream". Hopefully should be less confusing unless a person's sole experience had been with the previous Disney ECVs. I still rent from offsite as I need the ECV to get around the resort but wish I had the USB port!
I don't bring my own as it is too difficult to manage at airport. I've never actually disassembled and reassembled it and am not sure that I could physically do so even though it is very small -6" shorter than the GOGO Sport that I rent.

I have rented the old park ECVs, from Apple Scooters and just rented one of the new park ECVs last week. The new ECVs are much better than the old ones. They have a tighter turning radius making going through the lines much easier. They are still much slower than the rentals (which is fine) but have a better battery life than the old park ECVs. The controls are almost identical to most outside rentals. I think people will adapt quickly and find the new ECVs more user friendly. Also, they seemed to have more leg room. (I'm just shy of 6 foot).

I have rented the old park ECVs, from Apple Scooters and just rented one of the new park ECVs last week. The new ECVs are much better than the old ones. They have a tighter turning radius making going through the lines much easier. They are still much slower than the rentals (which is fine) but have a better battery life than the old park ECVs. The controls are almost identical to most outside rentals. I think people will adapt quickly and find the new ECVs more user friendly. Also, they seemed to have more leg room. (I'm just shy of 6 foot).
if you have any pictures, they would be greatly appreciated.
I had heard they changed before this thread, but the only picture I have seen was very blurry and only showed part of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter