• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New ECV User, Long Time DL Visitor

bekkiz

DIS Veteran
Very, very begrudgingly, I am using an ECV on a trip coming up next week. I have been to the parks many times and for the first time in my life, I am NOT excited about going due to these stupid new health issues. But the trip was planned before things got bad and my kids are excited, so there you go.

I have never paid much attention to the ins and outs of the rides for people with mobility devices, or even noticed if there's an area for parking for the parade.

I would love any hints or tips! How does FP work? Where do I drive the thing? Pretty much give me the run down. I rented one from off site, and we're staying at a hotel on Harbor so I have the added terror of driving it in the crowds there.

I do not have mobility issues exactly, I am unable to stand up for more than a few minutes without suffering pretty severe consequences. If I'm walking, I actually last a few minutes longer but standing in line, even at the grocery store, is awful right now.

Idk parades but for the rest of the day- If you can fit the ECV there you can drive it there! Park it off to the side of wherever you happen to be (and remember to take the keys with you!) and you'll be fine. Use wheelchair return times at non-accessible rides at DLR so you don't have to stand in line. A CM can direct you in how to do this outside the attraction. POTC issues those at the attraction exit btw. If the train will be running when you're there: you can't get on/off at Main St, no way up/down the stairs, but you can board at all other stations.

A family member of mine ended up in a similar situation to yours (kinda, his is more permanent so delaying wasn't an option) & had a great experience on the ECV. Drive it around the parking lot of your hotel or something a bit to get a feel for it (it will take <2 mins, they're very easy). I suspect up front is essential for parade viewing or you won't see much, I do remember my fam member decided to try to stand on his ECV once trying to get a picture of something or other- for the love of god please don't do that- & he fell over (shocker I know! I'm glib because while he was bruised he was fine). Also you'll want to look into what the ECV procedure is for WOC since parking & standing is not an option for you.

I feel your pain... I'm planning my 3rd trip using a ECV. Hated to have to do it but because I need knee surgery I can't tolerate all of the walking. Most rides have a CM waiting before entering the ride lines & will direct you to where your to go so, you will be fine. For DCA all their rides are handicap accessible so, you have to wait in the regular lines with all the guests unless you get a FP for an attraction.

We're thinking of buying a travel ECV -- one that can fold or be disassembled. Does anyone know of a board like this one, but for discussing EVCs/scooters? Or have any recommendations?

I would highly recommend practicing before you get to the park. They are very easy to drive, until someone decides that 10 inches you are trying to leave to avoid hitting someone in a crowd is the space they need to get a 1/2 second ahead of you. They do not have "brakes", they rely on you releasing the accelerator to stop (it does stop quickly, but when someone steps in that space, it may not be quick enough.)

One suggestion since you are vets, determine when you are going, then meet there. Don't try moving as a group. So much easier to just meet my daughters at Haunted Mansion than to try and stick together (they can move single file thru crowds, and I can take a different route which might be faster on the ECV, but longer steps wise.)

I get a wheelchair every time we go now because of a back issue. Kinda like what you described. I can transfer to rides myself without any assistance, but I can't walk/stand for extended periods of time in Disneyland. (I usually can make it the first half day and we end up having to go rent one.) DCA is EASY PEASY. You can wait in lines with your family. Disneyland is a bit more complicated (but not exceedingly so). The CMs will ask if you can transfer yourself and if you say yes they'll just tell you when it's your time. Sometimes they will move your chair/ecv elsewhere for you so it's ready for you when you're done. I'm trying to remember where we had to do that but it was only a couple times. I haven't been for a few years and apparently now they give you a return time when you go to the exit instead of just sitting there baking in the sun. (Believe me, that was rough sometimes).

I will tell you..when you're maneuvering along the walkways, that's when it gets tough. People try to hurry and go in front of you (cutting you off) instead of waiting for you to pass and going behind you. It's pretty tough to stop on a dime and there were times they got nudged. I had one guy who did it so poorly that he wound up in my LAP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter