New DVC Time-shares

I'll have to dash over and take your poll because I know of a number of DVC members who WOULD NOT have stayed on site without DVC. I had vacationed in Florida for 12 years, stayed at Disney World once...10 years ago...before buying DVC. I will say the problem with the poll is that it is a poll of people who enjoy monitoring this forum, pool hopping, pin collecting and generally obsessing about Disney.

And at the other end of the spectrum I know people with children who regularly vacation in WDW but can't be bothered with DVC (why?...beats me, they stay in deluxe resorts at that).

And...this year I'm staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for 3 nights as well as using my DVC points. In fact many DVC'ers stay in Disney hotels for part of their stays to preserve points.

The point is that DVC effects have to be figured in their planning, and I wonder if they were...was it wise to open AKL in this market? Is there enough demand for AKL to thrive as a deluxe hotel given the high overhead involved in maintaining the animals and the grounds at a time that the market with the disposable income and the love of Disney is moving into DVC rapidly? AKL at $119 a night? as a deluxe? You can blame 9/11 the economy etc but that only goes so far....it's gotten old, frankly... I have a pimple-must be aan effect of 9/11...control the things you can, accept the things you can't and learn to tell the difference...I don't get the sense that Disney has.

A good sign of how sucsessfull the dvc is if you checkot there offers ( this is how we tried it out before we bought ) in preivious years there has been plenty but now there is none avalable it is selling well so there is no nead to push it that way any more.With DVC there could be more reorts built with half dvc and half retail as with wildernes lodge,beach club and the broadwalk they dont have to just a dvc resort they can be both. as with the value and moderate resorts there will allways be a market for the moderate but if pop century opens it would flood an over expanded value opperation from 5000 rooms to 10000 so there would more chance they will have to discount the rooms and so suck people from staying at the moderates the only way they should open pop century is if they get the Olympics and use the rooms as an athletes village

Regards Paulh

Hotels in NY are opperating at what discount to pre Sept 11?and California? and Miami? or Las Vegas? or the West Indies? or Asia ? or Europe? Airlines are cutting routes and seats on flight ALL OVER THE WORLD. This isn't a phenomenon that only relates to Disney or the US, it's happening all around the world. To claim Disney's execs should have forseen this downturn is disingenuous.

AKL was planned and built before Sept 11 as was Pop Century, they were planed at a time Disney was having record crowds and high occupancy ratios, had that trend continued and Disney been turning customers away people would be bleating about how Disney has dropped the ball and it was obvious 3 or 4 years ago they were going to need more and bigger hotels. It's easy to be critical with hindsight.

Originally posted by vernon

AKL was planned and built before Sept 11 as was Pop Century, they were planed at a time Disney was having record crowds and high occupancy ratios, had that trend continued and Disney been turning customers away people would be bleating about how Disney has dropped the ball and it was obvious 3 or 4 years ago they were going to need more and bigger hotels. It's easy to be critical with hindsight.

Disney's problems started long before September 11. That is/was an ancillary problem. Attendance was already dropping.

Forseeing these types of outside economic influences is very difficult, and figuring out their timing is near impossible.

However, being ready for such things is a completely different matter and there really is no excuse. Disney milked the good times by continuing to cutback, even during years with record attendance. Now they are paying the price when its much harder to attract customers.

Forseeing these types of outside economic influences is very difficult, and figuring out their timing is near impossible.

However, being ready for such things is a completely different matter and there really is no excuse. Disney milked the good times by continuing to cutback, even during years with record attendance. Now they are paying the price when its much harder to attract customers.

Disney's problems started long before September 11. That is/was an ancillary problem. Attendance was already dropping

Yes I covered that already, but I'll restate it. After the big Y2K celebrations it was always likely that Disney was going to have a quieter year. 2001 was sandwiched between the celebrations of Y2k and Walts 100 birthday celebrations this year. Some of Disney's biggest fall off is from foreign visitors, for many of whom a trip to Disney is a once if a lifetime trip that is planned at least a couple of years in advance, why go in 2001 when there are no BIG special events when you can go a year earlier or later and coincide your trip with a special event. Sometimes you need to look behind the black and white numbers to see there are some pretty obvious reasons to those falls in attendance.

Corporate America has become conditioned to expect rising profits AND a rising rate of return year after year infinitum, it ain't going to happen for ever. Sometimes you have a great year ( or a run) that can't be followed at the same rate of growth. The period after that growth is going to appear to be a slowdown, if investors bail out in those occasions a company can be left struggling simply because it couldn't continue to grow exponentially.

...wow and how convenient that those attendance figures fall after all of these bad decisions by Disney and Esiner. Guess that was just the luck of the draw uh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter