New DVC Members! We need suggestions!

Tinky624

Mouseketeer
We just signed up on our Disney Cruise! We got home today and are excited to learn more. Please give us some suggestions, and personal experiences being a DVC member. Hope to learn and chat more about DVC. Thanks

DVC is the BEST thing we ever did--and although we purchased our first contract 8 years ago, I'm still learning something new almost every day thanks to these boards!! :)

Congratulations and WELCOME HOME!!
:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

DVC is the best time share program available in terms of flexibility and ease of use. Having said that, it is best used on DVC resorts and if you intend to go every year or two - it is fantastic.

Welcome home!

Especially since you live so close, as we do, the primary advice I would offer is
s-l-o-w d-o-w-n!

You are going to be making a lot of trips, so take your time and enjoy the DVC difference. I'd recommend that you plan at least one day each trip (even if it's only a 3-dayer) to just relax at your resort.

Another suggestion I'd make is enjoy WDW in all seasons, and take advantage of the special events they offer. For example, we're not flower people particularly, but we went in May just because we knew the weather would be moderate and the crowds would be less than other times of the year. We ended up loving Flower and Garden, and a May trip will be on our schedule every year now.

You can also take advantage of your proximity by just doing spur of the moment trips. Got nothing to do next weekend? Take a guick trip to WDW. I certainly would never recommend buying DVC for spontaneous trips, but they are often doable if you live close by.

Enjoy!

The biggest difference DVC has made in the way we vacation is that we know we will be back, so we don't feel the need to "commando tour".

We spend more time enjoying the resort.

We spend more time at the pool.

We spend more time relaxing on our balcony.

If we go to a park and it is crowded, we can leave and go play mini golf, or go shopping, or even explore the Orlando area a bit, go to Celebration and so on.

If you have kids, often the DVC has kid-related activities around the pool or in Community Hall.

Without question, DVC is the best purchase we have ever made.

Disney Doll said:
The biggest difference DVC has made in the way we vacation is that we know we will be back, so we don't feel the need to "commando tour".

We spend more time enjoying the resort.

We spend more time at the pool.

We spend more time relaxing on our balcony.

Without question, DVC is the best purchase we have ever made.

I'll second that!!!!!

It sounds like we made a great choice! We live only 2 hours away and we would like to do last minute trips for weekends here and there! Thanks for the input and if anyone has anymore advice please share. Thanks again!

We joined on our DCL too!!! Was Brian still onboard? He was such a doll - really worked with us to determine best amount of points/affordability with us - ended up doing 170 pt. We love the extra points given to us and will take full advantage April '07.

You made a great decision. I bought sight unseen in 1999 and haven't regretted it all. :thumbsup2 The first time I went to WDW, not with DVC, we did everything commando-style, not being able to enjoy it because I wanted to take so much in. Now, I know I'm going back so if I don't do something there's always next time. I also love the flexibility :love:

I love that you have this in your siggy!
Please stand clear of the doors - "Por favor, mantenganse alejados de las puertas"
My dh and I love to mouth these words to each other every time we board the monorail! :rotfl2:

Welcome and congrats

We just returned fro mour first trip home

Treated DM and DsF to a 2 bdrm ( we took the master) It was so nice after all my mom has done for DW DD and myself to give them " best vacation we ever had" .We travel all the time with them even to WDW 2 other times.

DsF is not a parks person so he stayed at the resort pool in the AM then would just meet us at the waterparks in the afternoon .

It was nice to know we already had our next trip books so I wasn't in the mode to rush anyone .I still get up at 6 am and if others were awake they went with me and DD if not they just called and hooked up later in the day.

We loved SSR have it booked for DEC .Hope to get a small 3 or4 day Oct trip in at POP ,AP or maybe rent some points) and start to stay at the other resorts.

The PAP discount was great and we already used the DDE card to cover the cost of that as well.

If not for the DVC I don't think we would be making such long term comitments as we can now.I like paying monthly and not worring about comeing up or paying off our trips.

We first bought 220 points and used them for studios so they would last. It was when we started staying in 1 bedrooms and added on points that we really began to enjoy DVC. The studios were nice but just nothing to compare with the "Welcome Home!" feel of the 1 and 2 bedroom units. My advice would be to try a 1 bedroom when you can and see how much it enhances your stay.

The DCL cruise sucked us in too! :goodvibes
We dined with two couples from FL who were DVC members. The night before, the folks behind us at Fantasmic were DVC and couldn't stop talking about it. I don't think we ever really understood the whole process until talking with these couples. Funny how good old word of mouth is really what sold us.

DH and I bought when we were at DLR in May. We were walking back from riding splash mountain right when the park was closing (such a nice walk, it is like you have the whole place to your self, there was hardly anyone around!!) We saw the DVC sales rep "closing up shop" for the night and stopped to chat. Well we booked our "tour" for the next day and *poof* pixiedust: we are now members! Neither of us have ever been to WDW (well I went to Epcot when I was 14, but that was :eek: almost 20 years ago!!!). We have only seen a model of what a 1 BR in our home resort (SSR) looks like (besides online pics of course). We are planning on going home for the first time early next year :jumping1: We hope to take a trip to a Disney Resort at least once a year, so it made perfect sense to us, even though we had never seen it. Our Vacation Guide, Jerre, was wonderful! :thumbsup2 She was so nice and patient with all of our questions. We never felt pressured to buy, it was a pleasant experience!

I agree! I just joined in May and we did a two night stay at OKW in June. (DM and DF live about an hour from WDW) It was SO relaxing. We knew we were coming back in November, so when it got hot, we went back to the resort. I went to the pool, DF sat on the balcony and watched the golfers. DM sat in the AC and read. Then, we all went out to dinner and the fireworks later.

Since I go to Florida at least 2 times a year to visit the folks, and we all LOVE Disney. I bought the points to spend a few days each visit at the parks. Mom and Dad are older, and can't do "the commando tour" anymore so this works out great.

Even though I LOVE WDW, my DH and I are using it to go all around the world, which is so cool we have that flexibility and options with DVC. We went to Aruba, been on 2 cruises, and are planning on going to HI soon and some other Caribbean islands. :tigger: :mickeyjum

BCV2002 said:
Even though I LOVE WDW, my DH and I are using it to go all around the world, which is so cool we have that flexibility and options with DVC. We went to Aruba, been on 2 cruises, and are planning on going to HI soon and some other Caribbean islands. :tigger: :mickeyjum

DH and I would like to do some other traveling too. We hope to make use of some of our points for that too. But we always have to get to Disney! :love:

I think you will find that your DVC experience will change as you have kids, as they grow up and as they move on.

We first joined DVC when our kids were young. Early on, the parks were a big hit. When we took our first cruise our older DD ruled the teen club while our younger DS was in the group for the younger kids. As they grew older we enjoyed HH (our home) more and actually haven't been back to the parks in years. Our second and third cruises both kids were in teen club and it was nice to see them bonding. Now with kids 18 & 21 we are doing more trading out - went to Hawaii, went to Atlantis. Kids don't want to go on cruises anymore because they are too old for teen club and don't want to hang out in the bars (son's not old enough anyway). Both kids will be off to college this fall and DH and I plan some long weekends - probably HH, maybe in one of Orlando venues. I want to trade out again for Grove Park Inn in Ashville and would like to treat my brother's family to the resort that's near Branson, Mo. (having a senior moment - can't think of name). When/if our kids start planning their weddings (hopefully a few years off), I would love to be able to hand them the book and say "You have 300 points to spend on your honeymoon, anywhere you want."

So, enjoy! Make the most of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter