• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New DVC Info on Mouseplanet

Happy Birthday Cat

<font color=teal>Wonders if the <font color=deeppi
There was some more DVC information on Mouseplanet today. Some of which I'd never heard before and some that I had heard and even some that I disagree with (Link) (no way SSR sells out by fall). But it is a good read. Below is the full text that has to do with DVC:

HBC

----------------------------------------------------

DVC rumor update

We've received some new information that appears to indicate that the rumor that we reported last week about a possible new Disney Vacation Club (DVC) resort on the site of the STOLport is incorrect. We had had some difficulty believing it ourselves, as the attempt to make it an Epcot monorail resort would seem to present a number of difficulties, including the location of the Epcot monorail beam so close to World Drive. In order to be able to host a monorail station attached to the hotel, the resort would have to be built right up next to the roadway, which would pose a number of operational difficulties.

What we've heard is a variation of an even older rumor, that the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary Resort would become a DVC resort. Now, prior rumors had indicated that the South Garden Wing would be converted to DVC lodgings, while still others indicated that a new DVC resort would be built on the current site of the Contemporary's tennis center. The South Garden Wing has already been refurbished into upgraded hotel accommodations. The tennis center is not in danger due to Reedy Creek Improvement District zoning regulations, which preclude new construction that close to the water. In fact, the North Garden Wing location cannot host new construction due to those same rules.

However, refurbishment of the Contemporary Resort is officially scheduled for completion this summer, yet no work has been done to date on the North Garden Wing buildings. The new reports indicate that the North Garden Wing buildings will be gutted down to the steel superstructure. (They can't remove the steel, because then it would be "new construction" and would violate the zoning laws. The old structures would be grandfathered in as existing structures being "renovated.") They'd then add two floors to the top and rebuild the interiors as DVC lodgings.

There's no word on whether the resort would have a separate front desk area, but it's more likely that it would use the Contemporary's front desk area, as is done with the DVC lodgings at the Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and BoardWalk Resorts.

As with the previous rumor, we do not expect the new resort to be announced until the Saratoga Springs Resort sells out. We expect that Disney is hoping that it will occur in time for the new resort to be announced at the fall press event in October.

It is always interesting to read these posts. This one seems to have much more information than in the past. :)

I personally think (my opinion) a new DVC resort will be announced later this year (2006). But SSR will not be sold out until well into 2007. They can announce the new resort before sales start. In fact, I would not be suprised if sales overlap so the sales staff does not run out of inventory. :thumbsup2

...looks like I'm not the only one who waits for the monday updates on mouseplanet (and allears) :happytv:

CapeCodFam said:
...looks like I'm not the only one who waits for the monday updates on mouseplanet (and allears) :happytv:

It's one of the only things that makes Mondays worthwhile.

HBC

Interesting. Makes more sense than STOL to me.

I also really like a four story rumor compared to a 16 story rumor. ;)

Thanks for the link, HBC. :thumbsup2

Sounds good to me!

I asked every guide I could find last week "what's up w/CRV?". Most just laughed. A few indicated that the next announcement wouldn't take place until SSR sells out - probably not until next year was their general consensus.

A few put their money on AK or a West Coast offering, some mentioned Hawaii.

I think they're throwing out red herrings. DH started to drag me away whenever we approached a dvc kiosk.;)

Happy Birthday Cat said:
As with the previous rumor, we do not expect the new resort to be announced until the Saratoga Springs Resort sells out. We expect that Disney is hoping that it will occur in time for the new resort to be announced at the fall press event in October.
Just as I suspected.

Bribrittmom said:
What does STOLport stand for? Thanks! I'm always confused by the abbreviations on this site.

It stands for the Short Take Off and Landing Airport. The landing strip hasn't been used in years on a regular basis for planes. It used to be where Disney Execs and VIP's would fly in and out of on charter planes. You can see it from the EPCOT Monorail on the left as you head toward EPCOT. It's easy to see now because of all the construction equipment and material that's there.

HBC

Happy Birthday Cat said:

I hope they mean 2008. I don't see SSR selling out by this year.

JimFitz said:
I hope they mean 2008. I don't see SSR selling out by this year.

That was one of the points in the runmor that I disagreed with. I agree with you that there is no way SSR is sold out in 2007.

HBC

I think it is possible they pre-sell a new resort and SSR Phase III simulaneously... Two-tier prices, "CRV" higher and SSR with more incentives. Get both ends of the market.

UUhhmmmmHMMHmmmm

the new DVC resort is now located in the boston area. Just deposit some of your points into my account min. 20 and I'll let you spend the weekend in my guestroom. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter