• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Dumbo interactive area - what would Walt think?

To me this is really disappointing...I was hoping that the interactive queue would be for adults also. I travel alone or with another adult, what am I supposed to do, watch other people's children play while I just sit there?

Yes. And be thankful for the AC and that you aren't in sweltering heat but to face with another Disney visitor.

I think back to the time or two we have been to Disney in the summer...... and can't help but think I would have willingly waited on Dumbo for a very long time in a place like this. Now that my kids are older and we travel in December, it doesn't matter as much...... but I'm sure glad all the parents of little ones get to experience this.

I have to say when I first saw the two pictures posted everywhere I was underwhelmed. Then I saw the video and was overwhelmed! They did a super cute job and my DS5 already has staked claim to the building on fire.

It seems totally fun for the kids and a bit stressful for me! My two year old will want to play and I fear she will get toppled over by bigger kids. My five year old will want to play in there all day. As we go during slower times I can see our ticket buzzing after a five minute wait and all heck breaking loose... So, I will wait for the reviews once it opens and how other parents are managing it.
During the peak of summer it appears to be a godsend...it is November I am wondering about!!!

I personally think it's a great idea. From what I've seen at the parks (and I've only been once), there is a ton of waiting and not too much interactive parental enjoyment goes on during that time (at least not with my family). I also have 2 kids on the autism spectrum, and waiting is not their forte at all. This would a be a godsend for me.

JMHO :goodvibes

I hear ya! I can't wait to see this!

One of the "Little Touches" that WDW does so well.

They could have slapped up another tent-based mega store. They didn't. They created a space where -- I believe -- she stated so very well in the video that families could "re-balance their energies." Sure, parents can sit there and text to their hearts' content, but the same could be said about any air conditioned or shaded space within WDW.

I have cooked in the full sunshine waiting in line with three sons over the years at Dumbo's old location. This is a fantastic addition, somewhere families can return AFTER they ride Dumbo, if their children really enjoyed it.

Where are small children more likely to have a fit: frying in the direct Florida sun, crammed into a long line, or running about and having fun in a cooled space, while waiting? :confused3

Walt was an innovator and was always moving forward and wanting to see the next step. I think he would love this.

Walt was also a father and while he did design Disneyland to be a place where adults and kids could have fun together, I'm sure he was not so shortsighted as to think that parents (and kids) wouldn't get tired and need a break from each other occasionally.

Just because the parents might spend a few minutes regrouping away from their children does not mean that the vast majority of the day won't be spent having fun with their kids. In fact, it would be more beneficial since there would be fewer heat-related meltdowns. And really - this is just a slightly more modern version of the wait for the Winnie the Pooh ride (where the kids can also run and play while the parents wait).

Walt was also a businessman. He would know that happy customers are return customers. And nothing makes a parent happier after pushing a stroller all day than to sit down and enjoy the air conditioning for a few minutes!

I think Walt would be amazed at what can be done with today's technology and express a wish that they'd had it when he was just starting out.

One of the "Little Touches" that WDW does so well.

They could have slapped up another tent-based mega store. They didn't. They created a space where -- I believe -- she stated so very well in the video that families could "re-balance their energies." Sure, parents can sit there and text to their hearts' content, but the same could be said about any air conditioned or shaded space within WDW.

I have cooked in the full sunshine waiting in line with three sons over the years at Dumbo's old location. This is a fantastic addition, somewhere families can return AFTER they ride Dumbo, if their children really enjoyed it.

Where are small children more likely to have a fit: frying in the direct Florida sun, crammed into a long line, or running about and having fun in a cooled space, while waiting? :confused3

that whole "re-balance the energy" thing - sounds a little new agey to me. Walt wouldn't have liked it.

:rolleyes1

I don't have kids but I think it's an adorable idea. Well done Disney!

As for the notion of Walt being upset at kids playing while mom and dad chill in the AC, it's such an invalid argument that I won't even deign to explain why it's invalid.

Re-balancing energy might be new-agey but frankly it's sometimes necessary.

Besides who here really knows what Walt would like? The way I see it, no one does.

Re-balancing energy might be new-agey but frankly it's sometimes necessary.

Besides who here really knows what Walt would like? The way I see it, no one does.

Sorry, it was supposed to be sarcasm, but that's not allowed here on the dis, so sometimes it's hard to convey the proper emotions. :rotfl:

So yes, I agree. No one knows what Walt would like. :)

"I'd sit there on a bench, eating peanuts, watching them ride the merry go round."

i'd like to think that walt would take delight and find relaxation in watching them ride (or play in a play area) rather than be a smart phone zombie parent.

I think it looks fabulous and we're all really excited to see it.

As for the parents-ignoring-their-kids issue.. if a parent is apt to ignore their child in favor of their phone, they're going to do it wherever they are, whether it's at a playground near their house or at Disney. If a parent enjoys playing with their kids, they can play with their kids while at a local playground or at Disney - even in this queue. I can just see my kids.. the big ones will want to show me everything they're doing, and the little ones will need supervision. My kids love it when I pretend that they're running me over with the wood cars at the playground, so I'm sure they'd love it in the fire truck in the Dumbo queue. If I'm tired, I can take a break, and if I'm not, I can play with my kids.

Disney is providing a place where parents can play with their children if they wish to do so. It's up to the parents to actually do it.

I think Walt would really enjoy it. :)

I would like to reference a favorite quote of mine I used to say when I gave the Keys to the Kingdom tour (substituting Disneyland with Walt Disney World)

One of Walt Disney’s most famous quotes is, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

I'm sure Walt's kids had more energy than he did. Spending time with them didn't mean doing every last thing that they did. Certainly not back then.

There is something to be said for progress. Besides, I think some kids might just appreciate sitting down in the cool climate for awhile.

I starting to think the phrases What would Walt Do and What would Walt Think should be banned from the Dis. It seems anytime someone doesn't like something, they are quick to throw out Walt wouldn't like it, or Walt wouldn't do things that way. Can't we let the poor man rest in peace, without using his name to try and shore up our own points of view?The video also shows families playing together, parents don't have to just sit their and watch their children play. Isn't this taking care of what so many posters thought was a big problem? Keeping kids happy in line out in the heat? Now you can play in the air-conditioning while keeping your spot in line. Sounds like a win-win for everyone.

Walt hasn't trekked miles around his completed parks in the FL August heat. If he had he would LOVE it.

:thumbsup2 I am SO tired of reading "what would walt think?" sheessh. it's as if , when someone says that, they think they are saying "what would Jesus do?".

ps, I think walt would think it's a great idea! more kids riding per hour, and having fun while waiting? who wouldn't like that?:confused3

We were there today- I didn't realize it was brand new! It was interesting- we waited in a line, then got a pager and the kids got to go play. We didn't get to see how the end of the process worked, though, because it started pouring and thunder and lightning, so they shut down dumbo. They told us we were welcome to stay and play, but we had to leave a while later for our pirates league reservations.

My kid had a good time, but like someone else said I can see a problem happening when it was time to go. I watched more than one mom, pager going off, trying to track down her kids and convince them it was time to go!

I just saw the video of the new interactive waiting area for Dumbo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4M0kaTg1Y&feature=em-uploademail

I was rather surprised to hear the show producer say that it would give parents the opportunity to sit and enjoy the air conditioning while their kids play.

Isn't that exactly what Walt Disney was trying to get away from when he designed Disneyland? Didn't he want a place where parents and kids could do things together rather than Dad sitting on a bench while his daughters rode the rides?

I can see it now. A bunch of parents sitting on the seats reading e-mails, sending texts and playing on their iPhones while their kids are off running around unsupervised. Then, when the pager goes off, the parents will be trying to drag their kids, who are busy having fun, out to ride the ride. I remember when DD was younger and it took us half an hour to get her out of the Dinoland digging area with her screaming and crying because she didn't want to leave. Somehow, I think the same thing will happen here. The play area looks like a lot of fun. Kids aren't going to want to leave.

Thoughts?

You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter