NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

You don't need to bring anything except your laptop, and your power-source! The cable is right there on the desk on a weighted circle. I had plenty of cord to take it from the desk, to the chair by the balcony, to the end of the bed. I never tried to go further, but I bet it would have. It is truly easy to go online at the Swan/Dolphin. I thought I might have to have DH computer expert help me out, and I purposely hooked-up while he was napping, so I wouldn't have to listen to the, well, anyone with an expert around knows sometimes you don't want to listen to it! Didn't need to ask him a thing, and the night went on magically ever after. :)

Hope that helps! Basically.. IT IS EASY! Akuna Matata easy!

Debbie

Thanks Ozzie,

Yes, we're really enjoying it here - - lots to do, see and um, EAT (lol). Glad to see your countdown timer is approaching its end. Enjoy! :)

hi all,
Finally getting some summer weather here!!!!
Regarding internet access.... you need a network card in your laptop, wireless will not work. The network card allows you to plug in the cable into it.( different than phone line spot). The rest of the hookup is simple.

hope lisa is enjoying vacation!!! Can't wait to get her posts from the dolphin

am getting ready to go! i remember way back on this thread someone posted info as to the best rooms on cl at the swan (view etc) i have been sitting here going through posts and cant seem to find it! Is there a special area or view i should request if possible, or do all of those rooms have a "good view"?

ozzie--see you there! but i'm not sure about the 7am thing!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

i am going to email the swan tomorrow before we leave for pbh and us/ioa

there was also mention of straight a's report card perks for the dolphin--does this apply at the swan as well? (dd worked very hard this year and she would certainly enjoy the recognition!)

my brain is now in overdrive--sooo much to do!

have a great day everyone!!!

needabreak ~ Have a wonderful time! How many days left? I'll be headed down right behind you. Let me konow what room you do get. Sorry, I don't remember what rooms were posted as good view rooms.

ozzie~ I bought the Thornlo socks yesterday as you suggested. And, yes, you were correct about the $$ ($10.99 a pair). If they will help (particularly after reading hockeymom's blister problem), it will be worth the money spent. BTW, are you packed yet? :)

mouseteacher........thorlo's.....$$$.....they have gone up! Only socks I buy.....well worth it. I ask for them for Christmas and pick up a pair now and then. One at a time!

needabreak......About CL views....all I really know is that we were on the 12th floor west corner, facing MGM. Could see MGM, Fantasmic, canal, boardwalk, World showcase. I am not sure about this, but on the other side of the hall were the big suites....but I don't know if there were regular rooms there too. They would have been facing the Dolphin. Nice being high up though, as you have great views, even if there is a rooftop under you, or a parking lot. I asked for a balcony room, high up, with an unobstructed view of Epcot this time, with CL priv.(am platinum). We will see. But I would take a CL room without a problem. Got a jr suite last time, with CL, for being platinum. This time there is only two of us. Can't wait.

Ozzie, I'm sure you will get a Jr. suite with CL again! You are Plat SPG! Make sure you call a few days ahead and talk to the room controller. S/D treat Plat members very, very well!

I just came back from the Cape and stayed at a 4 point sheraton that was lousy. This sheraton makes me appreciate the S/D and all it offers even more! I could not believe we did not get any type of upgrade plus it was 235.00 per night! We did enjoy the Cape and plan to go back later in July and again in Aug. But we will stick with the tried and true and never go back to this overpriced Sheraton. No heavenly beds, loud wall unit airconditioners, only interior view window, bad, bad room! Not a very nice way to treat a Platinum SPG member?!

Mouseteacher, if you have a T J Max near you they sometimes have Thorlo socks at a great price. I agree 10.99 is high for socks but I'm still gald you got a pair. They are fantastic socks! Not much longer for you either, Mouseteacher! You will be in the magic! Hope you get a chance to meet DF (Lisa)

Ozzie, only 5 more days and you will be there!

Muffy

Okay, ozzie and Muffy (btw, Muffy, thanks for the tip - I am always in a TJ Maxx - avid shopper!) -I tried the socks this morning. I took our "demands-a-walk" Airedale for a long walk (I don't know who owns who LOL - she is so spoiled). The socks are very comfy and I love the padded areas. I will still cover the spots on each foot with moleskin that gave me minor problems last summer - just to be safe. I am walking everyday w/canine so I can build up for walking in the World.

Muffy, I, too, hope Lisa and I "bump" into each other. One thing I know is that every afternoon I will be at the pool while DH takes his afternoon nap - he does not care for sitting by the pool. I take my reading material and enjoy the solitude... well... as alone as you can get at a Disney pool. LOL However, I do enjoy the quiet time and the rest.

Also, I am sorry about the Sheraton on the Cape. If it was the one in Hyannis, I know of what you write. I am lucky since my best friend has a vacation home in W. Hyannisport and she is very generous with visits by moi!

I am so glad that no one will have the problems that I had! I will NEVER EVER go to Disney World again w/o mole skin! My blisters are no longer causing me a problem, then again, I am no longer putting hot miles on my feet!

I know I was just there, but I am so envious of everyone about to go to the world! I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Debbie

P.S. I tricked my DH into trying "beverly"! Ice Station Cool, though I have heard it is under rehab by some board members, definately was open the day we went through! We had never walked inside before. What an overlooked gem at epcot!

Hello again, all!

Just checking in to see what everyone is up to... I love reading the posts from you all who have recently returned. And I can FEEL the excitement from those of you who'll be on your way shortly...

I have a question regarding room requests at the Dolphin. On Glo's info. thread, she suggests contacting the hotel just a few days prior to check in (if I am reading it correctly), but I thought I read somewhere else that requests may (should?) me made WELL AHEAD of that, so they are in the system (or is this specifically for SPG?) I am an SPG member (THANKS to you all - I fee like I thank you guys a lot!!!) and am soliciting advice on when to make a request... IF I do make a request at all (haven't gotten that far, yet).

Another question regarding the Dolphin rooms in the "triangle" part. I know that many of the rooms (obvioulsy those facing the SWAN) have views of the Swan, BW, EPCOT, etc. Are there rooms with views facing out in the opposite direction (which would essentially be facing away from WDW property?) That is the only thing I can think of that I DON"T want!!! Once in WDW, I like to only "SEE" Disney World- as much as it is possible! It's all part of my "SUBMERSION IN MAGIC" plan, you see!

Does that question make sense? Honestly its been on my mind for a while, but I was never sure how to "ASK" it (I am a very VISUAL person and need to use my hands a lot for DESCRIPTIVE puposes!!

If anyone knows the answer, I'd love the MYSTERY solved!

Caitlin

WE ARE LEAVING TOMORROW!!!! I'm not even packed yet!! am spending the day running as usual--will pack tonight-i have never had so many vacation "LISTS" as i do this time! i am just now making some dinner reservations!

As usual, we packed moments before heading to bed for a few hours rest. We only left behind one thing, DS's sunglasses. I think it is a theme in our family, to forget a pair of sunglasses. They were bought day one, and we didn't have to remortgage the house to do so. :)

You're going to have a great trip! Make a reservation at Palio. We aren't big Italian restaurant fans, and we absolutely loved it! The veal is to die for; I forgot to ask for the recipe!

I am currently between browswers putting together my own "heavenly" bed. I thought we had a wonderful bed, until I stayed at the Swan!

Debbie

crc6 ~ I e mailed my request as soon as I made my reservation which was in late May for a late July trip. I called the Swan to have a written confirmation mailed to me and in the course of the call I asked if my Gold preferred # and my request were attached to my reservation. It was. I keep checking the spg site - "check your reservation"-and my reservation is there but when I click on "view detail" -it doesn't show me any detail. I will call the Swan again about 5 days before arrival. So, go ahead and e mail a request.

needabreak ~ have a great time!

Just booked the Swan for one night for my dh and I and booked club level. I see now that none of the club rooms have balconies. Is the club level worth the difference or would you prefer a "balcony" room? My guess is it will be too hot for a balcony in August anyway. Thanks

Does anyone who was just at the S/D have any updates on the renovations at the Dolphin? Thanks

Wendy,
It depends on your preference. I was a bit disappointed we didn't have a balcony on our CL floor when we went, but I got totally spoiled by the CL and I was in a jr suite and we needed the room! CL was so nice I didn't miss the balcony. It is possible to stay in a balcony room and walk up to CL...so you can do both. That's what I am trying for this time. I am calling tomorrow to check on status of requests.

Thanks Ozziewags. If you stay in a balcony room on another floor do you still get the CL treatment such as robes and turndown service? I'd rather have the "treatment" than the view. I look forward to your trip report.

We just got back from a great trip to the Dolphin. While, I don't know full status of renovations, I did see them putting in all new mattress on the first floor rooms. Also, we were on the 5th floor, inner east wing (does that make sense?), we faced the boardwalk and could see Illuminations "smoke". Anyway, while standing on our balcony, I saw a guy working on a room on the 5th floor of the main tower building.

Maggie

We are HERE! Wow...PBH/U.S./I.O.A WHIZZED PAST...:( .

I Want this vacation to SLOW DOWN!! :rolleyes: ;)

Well, I.O.A. was fabulous, as always. We saw each and every attraction. We took time to play, relax...and watch the world pass by. :) U.S. SHREK attaction is tons of fun. Emerils is still the same (awesome), as is the Nascar Cafe ( we did the $18 movie package). Bocce Ball is alive and well on the lawn by the Villa Pool. The SPA is TOP RATE. Be sure to say Hello to "Maria", the #1 pool waitress (Amanda is sweet too). Richard is an expert bartender. We had L.I. ice tea, cape cod cooler...(vodka,cranberry,lime and a splash of pineapple in mine!), a peach daquiri and some other frozen concoction fu-fu bev from the menu. We sunned, ate pizza, and fresh fruit (order this platter...delicious), and played volleyball with other guests. I also rode the slide!!

For ref: FOTLA is still the BEST! Use the NEW CHASE UNIVERSAL VISA CARD (you may apply in the park and receive nice black U.S. Backpacks), and obtain 10% discounts on all purchases (food included). AAA also offers the same! Remember to bring these.
Fill-out the card in the lobby for email updates, and receive a free SUITE UPGRADE cert. Security officer confirmed PBH is the most quiet & trouble-free resort. HRH experiences the most trouble with guests. JUST FYI.

As PLAT.LOEWS...we had guaranteed 4pm check-out! We received lots of goodies in the room, the cookies are heavenly. The Vino (both red/white delivered pro bono) was a nice surprise.

We had a great drive to VERO today. IT rained cats and dogs...visibility was zero! Check-in was trouble-free, resort is filled to capacity. Same people here, nice to see everyone. We have the same villa we always request, with some nice surprises in the room as well. The room keys are adorable, "Where Magic Lives" with TINK on the front. Very whimsical.

Had difficulty leaving the PBH...as it was SO PERFECT! We did not leave until 5 p.m., and contemplated staying longer. We will extend future stays to a minimum of a week. I know Happytrails knows exactly what I'm talking about. :cool: It's SO beautiful, stellar service and amenities. I requested an AIR PURIFIER in the suite...and it was there. I requested chenille throws in each room, and they were there! I requested some more items, and everything was PERFECT. It is on the COVER of Great Hotels Magazine for places to stay in 2003.

Now...we will immerse ourselves in all things VERO, BEACH and OCEAN. We are excited to be here...and begin another chapter of this well-planned, looooong anticipated sojourn. Dined in shutters this eve, had the tom/mozz w/vinegar & oil, pasta primavera (seafood)...incredible. We're off to a GREAT START!

I've missed you all! Things should slow-down a bit now...permitting me more time to post. Hope you are ALL having a fabulous summer. ;)

TTFN....DF on SUMMER SOJOURN '03 :wave:

Ahhhh, I can taste those frozen drinks by the PBH Hotel now. Such a great staff there - - pool and otherwise. PBH is a paradise withing itself - - especially in the Villa Suite.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and you're absolutely right; it's very difficult to leave this resort. I hope DW's CIGAR smoking wasn't the reason for your need to request an air purifier (LOL). Just Kidding! (Boy, hope she doesn't read this post)! Although, we didn't notice any odors in the suite, we did notice a small burn hole on the bedroom carpet (as the suites, we were told, are smoking optional) and brought this to the attention of hotel management. I'm still in awe of the amenities available there just for the asking, i.e., air purifier. The list is too long to mention, but it essentially comes down to ANYTHING you need that you would have in your own home.

Enjoyed your descriptive post, DF and look forward to future posts when you get the time. Enjoying the Magic comes first! We just returned from Chicago last night (yawn) with just enough time to do a quick laundry, re-pack and start out again this morning for the Lake's Region in NH for my sis's wedding tomorrow. Have a wonderful 4th everyone.

ma-s1-3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter