NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

good morning all

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE POPPINS FAMILY-glad everyone is doing well-baby kirk is beautiful!

a quick question-if you have spg card and then get ae card from starwood-u are what? gold preferred? if you then have reservations for club, what upgrade would you hope to get? i know the answers are probably on the thread somewhere but i have been on for hours and can't find--thanks

The Starwood Amex cc may get you a gold level member. You need to call spg and let them know you have the Platinum Amex and wish to be gold preferred. If you have paid for CL, gold will most likely get you a view or a balcony.

Hello again all,

THRILLED to see the boards back and those darling pictures of the newest Poppins. He is so precious, thanks so much for sharing those with us!

Also thrilled to see those counters keep moving down, down down (its finally here HockeyMom!!! and DF, too!! - You all must be "flipping out!"- in a good way!)

Judirain, if you are out there - that is the most ADORABLE picture (sombrero!) I love it! Thanks for the giggle. Whenever I am in the Norway pav. at WS, I always have a picture taken of myself with the horned viking hat - long blonde braids and all. It is a always hilarious shot, and fun to look back at the many different pics from the different years.

Anyone ever done the karaoke at Kimono's? I didn't realize this "treat" was avaiable at the D. until recently... Wondering if any of you all had checked it out (why do I have a feeling the answer is "yes!!")

Have a great Friday everyone, and to all those whose trips are IMMINENT (!) Have a WONDERFUL, MAGICAL time!!

Caitlin

I realize I have been using the same HUGE smiley face for my posts, but there isn't another option for "happiest!" after happy and happier! Now, someone get that Alice Cooper song out of my head!

My counter is speeding up! I now can officially find the suitcases! I have had the carry-ons out all through winter for out of town hockey tournaments out of town, but the large suitcases, well, they're stored in my daughters room, land of huge closets. They could be anywhere!

I love that sombrero picture! What a cutie! We also put on the Viking helmets in Norway!! My husband is over half Norwegian and lets just say he is proud of his heritage! (I know "The Vikings" by heart, and usually will make comments about how they used a King sized 300 count thread sheet, in striped pattern, for their sails).

Off to call the kennel, find suitcases, and keep singing "Schools Out" in my head! Have a wonderful weekend!

Debbie
I finally emailed my room requests this morning. I hope I didn't wait too long!

What a cutie!!! AWWWWWWWWWWW is right!!! Baby Kirk is adorable!

Our trip to the Dolphin was wonderful. It was hot, but not too much rain. When it did rain it was great to cool it off a little. It did rain a lot the last night we were there.

I booked through DU with the $139.00 rate. We had a King corner room with 2 balconies. FANTASTIC!!! Room # 4170. We had a great view of Illuminations and Fantasmic. We enjoyed them every night.

We ate at Tubbi's, the Fountain, Kimonos, and Gullivers. They were all fantastic!!! The chocolate chip cookies are huge and delicious:D

It was the 1st time for my daughter to go to Gatorland and she really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty dirty, but that is to be expected. We also enjoyed EPCOT, MK, Crystal Palace, and the Beach Club Character breakfast.

Check-in was a breeze in the SPG line. Our room was not refurbished but I could hear some work going on ... it was not loud or bothersome though.

We had an exciting experience the last night ... we watched Illuminations on our big balcony. I was in my PJ's since we had an early flight the next morning. It was a great way to end the trip ... and when we tried to get back in the room ... THE DOOR WAS LOCKED!!! My DD5 started to panic. She is usually quite adventurous but this scared her. It was so dark on the balcony and nobody was walking by. I yelled as loud as I could when I saw someone across the way ... but Fantasmic music was quite loud ... and I don't think they could see me too well in the dark! But a few people heard me, and I want to thank the lady on the 8th floor ... she said she was calling security but it was busy, but she would keep trying and keep checking in with me.

Then I could hear knocking at the room door ... but I had the dead bolt on and the other lock (the bar). I was wondering how they would get in but I didn't mention that part to my daughter!!!

After 45 minutes security opened the door! They were very apologetic and concerned someone was in the room. The lock must have just swung into the right position. The funny thing is, the lock never worked before that moment! Security sent up chocolate chip cookies and milk on a silver tray. Then the fire department arrived! The patrons at the hotel did a great job making sure we could get out of the balcony!!!:D IT was certainly a memorable time at the Dolphin.;)

The Dolphin is still my DD's favorite resort (AKL is a close second). The food at Gulliver's Grill was even better than I remembered. It was American Buffet night and the prime rib and pot roast were succulent. I want to go back for the seafood buffet and test that display of food.:D

The corner King is the greatest room ... although my DD says she will never go out on a balcony again!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Even with writing down your balcony locked adventure, you can still feel your excitement of your vacation bubbling through! I can't wait! We leave in two days and a wake-up!

Debbie

Such excitement!! :eek: I would've freaked a little myself............but when you have your child with you.......you have to stay in control. Sounds like you did.

Other than the lock, your dolphin room sounds wonderful. Thanks for the room tip. Is that the room you booked, or did you put in a request? Did you rent a car? (can't remember if I asked you that before)

When I took my 5yold son last September (right before he started Kindergarten) we also went Monday to Friday. It was just enough time for the two of us to do the things he wanted to do and then he was ready to come home. He missed everyone!

I liked your restaurant reviews too........I'll have to save them in my file.

MaryG - your neighbor
;)

crc6 thanks!! I know the viking hat you are talking about. I also have a picture of my DD in it. We had so much fun trying on all those hats.:p

kellir,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.....what an adventure. So glad you had a great time.
Debbie....start counting the hours! Isn't the last day a great feeling?

Baby Kirk is such a precious bundle!!!

Robin and family - he is gorgeous!!! Robin, how is it that you look so good after all you have been through? Gee, my last one is 21 and i still haven't lost all the baby fat!!! lol

Thanks so much for sharing. Caroline

Originally posted by Mouseteacher
My, ozzie and hockeymom, we all are early risers! :)
I'll say! DD and I watched "Scary movies" (old ones...black & whites), until 2:20 AM! We didn't even see the time passing, and I posted a quickie on the thread at around 1:00 am (popcorn break!). Are you guys REALLY UP at 4:29?!? :p

Mouseteacher...I wanted to thank you for the kind words regarding the $500 scholarship award (I'm still in the clouds on this one!). As you understand the "mechanics" of the $$$ it takes to make this system work...such a BONUS is "PENNIES FROM HEAVEN" (LITERALLY!). With no funding/support from the state...it's so precious to receive a philanthropic award Directly from the Parish. Makes it even THAT more special! ;) Thanks, again.

*YES...one week from today, in fact: RIGHT NOW...and we'll be in ORLANDO! It will be 8:00 pm, and we'll probably be just checking into the resort. Since we land around 6:00-ish...and get the rental, etc. ~ I'll just be settling-in. :p I'm getting VERY EXCITED, and WILL definitely get the LUGGAGE OUT this weekend....I PROMISE! LOL!!! :)
*I did order a new swimsuit...a denim tankini from Spiegel. With a % discount, it was less than $50. A nice splurge and BD gift to moi! (MY B.D. is 06/28...I'll be at the PBH for "MY" day!) I thought it was adorable, and it fits so nicely (COMFY). Very "young", yet not too "Risky"! LOL. What do you think? (NO...that's not me). :P
0581991.jpg

needabreak...Please follow MOUSETEACHER'S advice, and call SPG. Inform them you are "PLAT. AMEX" (period...no need to say Plat. AMEX SPG, as some have been denied by giving too much info~LOL), and would like to be upgraded to GOLD PREFERRED SPG. :) It may definitely get you some upgrades or perks depending on availability. :)

crc6~Caitlin...Wonderful FUN @ "Karaoke at Kimono's"night! You'll enjoy this TREAT!

KelliR~ Gatorland? I'm thinking of stopping over there as well. Was it worth the $$$? Dirty...do you mean "LOTS OF DIRT", or the OTHER dirty? (LOL). :p

Sounds as if you had a spectacular time in the Dolphin. I was ROTFL about the "EXCITING" event of your last evening. Wow...that's something to "write home about". :p I'm so glad other patrons were able to assist you. I'm sure the cookies and milk were a nice touch at the end of the adventure. ;)
*We had a similar adventure years ago at the Old Key West resort. We rented a Studio, and DH wanted to show DD & myself the size of the HAILSTONES falling into the courtyard area. He called us out, and I accidentally "closed" the door behind us...locking us all outside! Lightning...and HAIL were all around us, but DH recalled the patio door being unlocked. He went downstairs to some guys staying in a room below, (we had met them the day earlier), and they let him through their studio and out to the balcony, where he "climbed commando style" up the tree to the railing and onto the balcony. The guys marveled at his bravado and skill (me too!), and the ease/speed with which he accomplished this task. We were back in the room in minutes. :cool: Thank goodness he was there, or DD and I would have had to summon security...etc. (LOL). These adventures prove to be some of the BEST memories we keep/share. :)

lovingthemouse..."losing the baby-fat"...LOL. It took me YEARS (or so it seemed) to lose all the baby-weight I gained with DD. Whew! She was three before I was in a Bikini again (LOL), and here in Cali w/ocean...that's really saying something. :p I agree...Robin looks FABULOUS! ;) And Baby KIRK is a real "Looker", and EASY ON THE EYES (even at his tender age). :)

I love all the HAT stories! How wonderful...I too try on all the hats with DD & DH. Last summer, I FINALLY bought a couple of the hand-made masks hanging on the wall in the little shop in Italy. I have admired them for years, and love the Ball-Masque mystique of these pieces of ART. I have them in my China Curio in a Beautiful Blue Cobalt Tiffany piece. They are a constant reminder of WDW...like so many items scattered throughout my home.

* ROBIN...on another note, is there a PLACE (Target, MACY's, Babies R Us, etc.), where you are REGISTERED for BABY kIRK? A place I could possibly access online? Could you kindly let me know if there is...and send me the #, info, etc. It would be a pleasure for me to send a little something for you and baby KIRK! If not...you could give me your address (via PM), so I could at least send a card, etc. Since we do not live close enough to throw a beautiful "shower", at least we could do one via this thread (in a WEB WAY!). The birth of a baby is a precious gift, and I believe in CELEBRATING the arrival of your newest addition. Especially since you included all of us in on all the aspects (both frightening & joyous) of the entire pregnancy/birth! I feel a special "connection" to you & BABY KIRK (& your fam) through this forum. Again, the photos are priceless. Thank you. Always, Lisa XO;)

OHHHH! Love the pictures of Lil' Kirk!!!! What a precious bundle of joy!

Speaking of precious - notice my new avatar???? LOL!!! ;)

Question:
Do you guys ever send a package ahead to the S/D? I have done this to other Disney resorts like the GF and it has always worked great. Any tips here?
Thanks!

:D Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful info i've received the last few days--have been overwhelmed trying to plan the perfect vacation-i'll be at us/ioa staying at pbh and then to wdw-

df-do i call spg and tell them amex plat or the hotel? was just approved online a couple of weeks ago and havent received the card yet-should have it in a few days i hope!

mouseteacher-ws hoping to book a room and have upgrade that included club access-however when i called to make res they told me to book club as rooms are fewer and maybe change when i get there-do you think they would let you pay a lesser rate upon arrival? i myself doubt it but as we are going in july during a very busy time i didnt want to take the chance of not having club access-i'm just hoping it is worth the extra $-my teens do eat a lot!
ps-mouseteacher-i noticed you said you and dh were going this trip w/o sons! Are there going to be any parties north of boston around the 24th of july ? LOL--jk!--my kids finished school today and i say--THANK GOD! it has truly been a long school year!

oh and df!!!our original vacation plan this year was to go to so. california--i just didnt know where to start! am definitely going to do it next june/july-may ask for some advice if that's ok with you?

thanks again to all!

needabreak~Of course...it's always OKAY to ask for any/all advice. I'm happy to be able to help in any way I'm able! ;)

Please call SPG directly and tell them you have the AMEX PLAT CC. ALSO...please call LOEWS FIRST and inform them once you are upgraded to GOLD SPG, and they will MATCH SPG (giving you GOLD LOEWS for LIFE!). This may help you obtain an UPGRADE at LOEWS PBH as well. Be sure to ASK the associates at the front desk of the PBH for an UPGRADE (anything available). They are SO nice there, and try to accomodate all guests. I'm PLAT. LOEWS, and in the past they have always tried to offer the best room view, etc.

Yet, for the past few years, I have simply reserved the Villa Suite we love in advance. We enjoy the continuity...and the comfort of "knowing" we are in the same suite. (LOL). We do this at the Peabody CL, Disney's VERO Beach resort Villa, The Dolphin...and even on the CRUISE LINES! We also do this around here...in so many resorts. We find something we LOVE, and stick with it. Makes it easy, and comfortable. ;)

Wise of you to book CL, especially during July (w/teens it's a bargain). I know CL is full/popular, as our friends are experiencing a difficult time reserving CL for their stay (in Mid July). If you want it...you've made a wise decision. If you get there, and the teens do not like/want it (hard to imagine), you can always cancel it...and they will drop the charge/fee.

Please, let me know when you are ready to plan your visit out here. :)

hookedup~Yes, I've sent packages to all the resorts I've visited, including the Dolphin/Swan. I've even "ordered" packages from my room (laptop), and had items shipped to my resort. I've always received them without any problem. I usually call the shipping department, and let them know I'm expecting a package. The concierge calls and lets me know as soon as the parcel arrives. They also deliver it to my room (so proficient)..pro gratis. Of course, I tip! ;)

Call ahead and alert the shipping department manager of your impending arrival. Ask them to HOLD the parcel until you arrive. I've also done this with great success. Hope this helps. ;)

DF ~ LOL "up at 4:29 am" / not quite that early - EST it was 7:29. BTW, I love the old-time, b/w, scary movies. For that matter, all the old (30s and 40s) b/w movies. DH always teases me when he sees me watching! Last night, I rented "maid in manhattan" - cute. A fun movie for a cloudy Friday night in Boston - AGAIN. :(

KelliR ~ What an adventure - knowing that people are always nearby would keep me from losing it as well as staying calm for my child. In years to come, it will be one of those wonderful family stories you will always tell.

needabreak ~ OKAY OKAY :) everyone has been asking the same question - party?!! This is the first time we will be leaving them home by their choice (they are 18 and 20). I live in a very close knit neighborhood so DSs KNOW they can't get away with a thing. LOL Besides DDad and DBro live close by too! With that said, we do trust them since they have never caused us any pain or disappointment other than the minor teenage issues. We have been very lucky and breezed through the middle school and high school years and first two years of college unscathed considering the stories I have heard from others. And... as I have told them, be careful or our beloved canine (who thinks she's human) might tell us tales ;) :p ! She's sort of like Nana from Peter Pan - but is an Airedale not a St. Bernard.

Re: CL I agree with DF. If CL is important, I would reserve it. It is terrific with teenagers in tow as we found out last summer. I believe we were lucky to get CL as a comp b/c it was late August and a very slow time for the resort. I don't anticipate that comp coming our way in July. I'm hoping for an upgrade to either a balcony or a view --- or dare I hope for both?

HAPPY WEEKEND everyone.

Good morning everyone...
Just so you know.....it is 7:30am here in the midwest! Muffy figured out that webmasterPete is on marinetime!

mouseteacher......I know how you feel about leaving dss at home. I also trust my ds, which is good now that he is away and I have no control.....but I always tell him that parents can't choose friends for their kids, but if I could I would have chosen the same friends he did.....so lucky that way. It was a pleasure playing travel agent for them.....what a memory they will have. They are scattered at colleges between IL, MO, and KS.

needabreak........I will echo mouseteacher and DF about CL...if you really want it, reserve it. Sometimes you get lucky, but it is not guaranteed, even with a card. Be sure to call SPG and the hotel and get that SPG number on your ressie, asap. Then fill out the requests on the Swan website.

Help...I spent yesterday making a powerpoint of our disney trip to put on a cd for each one in my family.......any ideas as to what music to use? I think "small world" would drive them crazy. It was over the Christmas holidays. Can't decide.

#1hockeymom......time is getting closer....this one is for you.....enjoy:

margaritas.jpg

ozzie ~ I was just playing a Disney CD while mopping the kitchen floor! A definite song and certainly the trademark of all things Disney - When You Wish Upon A Star. Perhaps used at the end of your CD to wrap up the memories of beautiful family trip. LOL - I KNOW that Small World would drive my family crazy except for DH. He insists on every trip to do that attraction - he says that is what Disney is to him! DSs look at him askance and shake their heads. ;)

I am lucky to re: DSs friends. They spend a great deal of time at our house and I would certainly have picked them for my sons' friends. Great kids - many live right in our neighborhood so they have "grown up" together and we know their parents. Their main passion in life is watching and playing sports. As I write this, older DS with 3 friends are in Philly hoping to have seen the Sox play last night - they were rained out. They are headed home today.

Thanks for the drinks! I own that stemware! That must be my margarita! Thank you very much! I technically own a version on the right, although mine says royal carribean if you turn it around! :)

The scary part of our "early" posts is the fact we all had slept in that day! I'll be on vacation time within one week. Don't plan on seeing any posts from me any time before 10am!

I am a fan of any movie made from thirties till during WW2. I don't have any favorites, just casually watch them when I notice they are on. TCM tends to have many choices. I love the propaganda side of them! Watching them and trying to see the movies from the viewpoint of a person back then, and seeing "this is what they wanted people to feel/believe/know" just intrigues me so much! ack! I turned into my father!

Cute bathing suit! May I please have a body to fit into it? Word of advice... NEVER go back to college in your thirties if you don't have a fitness plan to combat the sit on your butt all day long studying, plan!

Love all the kid pictures! Thank you for sharing! Df>>I forgot to give congrats to your daughter for her great scholarship! Good for her!

Dog has his shots, fish have their feeder thing, cat is giving us dirty looks and the kennel is all arranged. I still need my nails done, hair cut, and.. what am I forgetting.. oh yeah.. PACKING! I am not too worried about my dd, she's a perfectionist when it comes to packing up her things (what 17 year old girl isn't?), but my son is another story. If it is wrinkled, and says something hockey related, he's probably wearing it. I need to tape the words "this is a shirt, it has a collar, it is cleaned and pressed WEAR IT!" DH tends to wear what I pack him, no worries there! We once packed five hours before leaving for an early morning flight. We even got a cat nap in at 2am! I can do this!

Leave in a day and a half. Which one of you am I hiding in my suitcase? This was the first official day of summer vacation, and not because it is the first day of summer! No more teaching for a month and a half! WOO HOOOO! It is a great feeling knowing I am free for a bit. Need to recharge, then I'll be raring to go (and begging) in August!

Have a great week everyone! I know I will!
Debbie

Me first....me first! (much be a teacher thing) I want to be the one you pack in your suitcase! I'll bring the margaritas! Woohoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter