• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, I'm back from Birmingham and no longer have over 1000 posts. What did you guys do to me when I was gone? Geeeeeeezzzzzzzz.

Northwest Airlines was very pleasant. No upgrades available. Every plane we were on was filled to capacity or only 1 or 2 seats open in coach. Never realized Madison to Detroit to Atlanta and back would be so popular. But it was a good trip all in all. No complaints on my end and I am terrified of flying. Although I should send a thank you note to that check-in guy in Atlanta who had to tell me the plane we were getting on was going in for repairs in Detroit..................I could have lived without that info!

Thrifty Car Rental - good experience. Chrysler product. $39.50 per day unlimited mileage. $5 extra for 2nd driver. Lots of city/tax surcharges though. Ended up at $110 for 2 days. (We did the insurance waiver). We filled at local station rather than let them fill at $4.35 per gallon.

Residence Inn in Birmingham was good - excellent breakfast -nice accomidations.

So 3 thumbs up. Things to remember for those of you travelling! We'll be at the Swan (OF COURSE!) next trip but I'll be remembering Thrifty and Northwest Air!

Will someone please find the rest of my posts?

jgates.......Glad you had a good trip. We are both anticipating visits to the Swan!

You won't see your missing posts....many, many posts were lost while Alex was doing some maintenance the other day. They won't be put back up. Some people lost thousands! I only lost about 50 or so.

Thanks for the link, Glenn. Very nice bags indeed (Fab deal, too)...now you need to get packing! :p I'm really one to talk (or write) LOL. I wait until the LAST minute to pack...with high energy in an overdrive~panic mode. I make a list WAY before I pack...so it's like a "fill in the blanks" kind of packing (painting by number)...;) . Enjoy!

jgates...WELCOME BACK! Are they offering any meals on NWA in coach? I flew on NW from LAX to DET, (and then to NY), and they only offered meals in FC. The folks in coach received a "snack" (terrible). Also, no inflight movies or magazines. They told me they "Scaled-back" after 911. If I would have known this...I would have flown Delta. Live & Learn. :p

Great to hear about the trip. It certainly sounds as if everything went very well. Not a bad deal on the rental. I absolutely LOVE the Residence Inn, and always rent the two-story penthouse. It's just the cutest layout, with the loft area and two full baths. I also love the Fireplace, kitchen, etc. Oh...you make me want to go and make ressies!

NEXT TRIP=SWAN! :) All other travel experiences always make me appreciate the SWAN/DOLPHIN so much more. We love all the places we visit...but the S/D are SOoooo Special!

So sorry about your missing posts. I have heard Alex had some problems...sorry yours was in the mix. Take care, and relax before unpacking. Glad to have you back "safe and sound." ;)

NANCY...are you still out there? It's been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is okay. Miss you. TTFN....:)

DF99,
I'm so excited! Just wanted to let you know I was able to get upgraded to Gold spg on my first request. As suggested, I kept it simple and gave no details... I just stated I had a Plat. Amex. and wanted to upgrade to Gold spg. I had no problem. Checked my spg acct online an hour later and it already read 'gold'!
Thanks again for your suggestions and encouragement

Sofifi97

Originally posted by sofifi97
DF99,
I'm so excited! Just wanted to let you know I was able to get upgraded to Gold spg on my first request. As suggested, I kept it simple and gave no details... I just stated I had a Plat. Amex. and wanted to upgrade to Gold spg. I had no problem. Checked my spg acct online an hour later and it already read 'gold'!
Thanks again for your suggestions and encouragement

Sofifi97
What WONDERFUL news Sofifi97! I'm so pleased to read you were successful, and without any stress/problems. Now...You are GOLD SPG! AWESOME!;)
Thanks for posting this info...so many have experienced difficulty lately in obtaining this upgrade. Perhaps others will take heed of your insider advice, and "keep it simple/brief~offering no details." ;)

Hi everyone :wave: hope you're all fine and dandy

I just noted on my reservation confirmation with Swan and Dolphin direct that I have a Deluxe Room with Balcony booked - at the Discount rate !! Do they have these rooms recently renovated on teh 3rd or 4th Floor does anyone know?

I was really pleased I hadn't noticed this before. If I upgrade to Gold, which I can as I have Platinum Amex Card, what further free upgrade could I get?

That said I would be more than happy to have a refurbed room as long as it's a deluxe Queen with Balcony - oh unless they have any King Deluxe with Balconies - do they?

Originally posted by dreamflight99
jgates...WELCOME BACK! Are they offering any meals on NWA in coach? I flew on NW from LAX to DET, (and then to NY), and they only offered meals in FC. The folks in coach received a "snack" (terrible). Also, no inflight movies or magazines. They told me they "Scaled-back" after 911. If I would have known this...I would have flown Delta. Live & Learn. :p

Being a marketing educator, I honestly believe the airlines hunt for excuses to cut service. It's almost like the oil industry and their "the wind in Saudi Arabia was hotter than normal today - raise prices - oh you say it was colder - raise prices." They are becoming way too cost focused - and damn if we aren't flying the ultimate air "bus" next week - SouthWest. Rattle Rattle Rattle - its time for the cattle call - all aboard.

www.overstock.com is a great site. Really good quality stuff and great prices. I've bought everything from jewelry to clothing to travel gear there. Love it so much - now I'm a stockholder (YIKES I sound like a vacuum saleperson or worse hair club for men.)

- Glenn

Fantasia sam...How great to read you were upgraded w/o even asking! For better answers to your questions...could you please tell us if you have reserved the Swan or Dolphin? :) Some of the rooms in the Swan have been recently renovated. Yes, some King rooms have balconies (Nice deluxe "Corner Kings" w/extra Turret Balcony at the Dolphin), and some of the Deluxe Queens at the Swan have been renovated. ;)
For a list of all the amenities GOLD SPG will afford to you, please visit www.spg.com and take a look-see!

Glenn...How funny you are (are you also a writer for Monty Python?) LOL! :p You are RIGHT ON the mark about the airline industry. If I fly across the country, I certainly would like a movie/meal. Thank Goodness I always travel w/Vaio, and a panasonic portable DVD player (With BOSE noise reduction acoustic headphones)...so I watched my OWN flick on the NWA flight. I was in FC, and the meal was comp to a TV dinner, placed upon a plate~a complete waste of $$$. Now...on Delta, it's a different story, entirely. Movie and food was astounding in FC (as always), and worth the king's ransome. In fact, I just reserved our 2003 flights in FC on Delta (NS LAX-MCO). Have fun on SWA...they are the proverbial "business commuter" out here on the W-Coast! They alao happen to be the only airline which reported a PROFIT after 911. Loyalty tends to be it's own reward. :)

Thanks again, for the nice link. I'll pick up some useful things for our next trip to WDW & the DOLPHIN. I'm knee-deep in reservation confirmations and planning! Keeps me in the MAGIC year round. ;) Now...get to packing! Your minutes are ticking away...have you made a check list? :)

DF 99 you're right, the planning really does keep you in the magic.We started planning in Feb. and I'm glad we did. We only have 2 weeks to go(since we're leaving on the 2 not the 5th) I'm so excited:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc not to mention the kids--I think my DH is actually getting excited too!!He should be, he's getting 3 1/2 weeks off from work!!! On the other hand, I'm going to be working on my vacation. I don't mind this kind of work though;)

We won't be at the Dolphin until 12/20-12/27. I'm bringing my lap top so I'll try to keep you all informed. I'm just hoping for one of those corner king rooms. It'll really make our magical time better if we had a little extra space for the week. I wish we had enough points to upgrade to a suite-but not this time.Just a side note--We have used our ax for everything since Feb. By the time we leave the Dolphin, We will have 40,000 points.Hopefullly we'll have enough to go back and use our APs before they expire:p

Well back to packing--so far we only have 15 suitcsses:rolleyes:

Two quick questions and a thanks for all the great info.

Does the Swan have the great balcony/corner rooms? I keep seeing posts for them for the Dolphin.

I made my ressies through DreamRes and forgot to give them my spg number, just mentioned I had a card. Who do I call/e-mail to get this information to the Swan?

Thanks

Hi everyone. Mind if I join in?? We are staying at SWAN for the very first time for New Years!!! I am sooooooo excited!!! Please tell me all the wonderful things about the SWAN that you can. I am devouring every post made on it and have read this entire thread LOL.

What we have requested which is on our confirmation is 10th floor MGM view. Since we have small ones (8 and 4) we might not be able to do the parks for NYE. The lady that made our ressies suggested this room so that we could watch the MGM fireworks from our room. No balcony just the window. Im assuming this is in the main part of the hotel as the wings only go up to the 7th floor correct?

Wheee! I am excited for you disneywith6kids! How wonderful (3 & 1/2 weeks total?!), especially this time of year. You Never know of the MAGIC which awaits you upon arrival. ASK at the desk if they could PLEASE upgrade you to a JR. SUITE if they have one available, or if not...at least a CORNER KING? It NEVER, EVER, Hurts to ASK!!!

Planning early is the BEST way to ensure a smooth and problem-free trip. Feb, eh? We both believe in the 7-8 month window MINIMUM! :p And, as you agreed, the "planning" maintains the daily dose of MAGIC necessary to cope in the REGULAR world! LOL!

So good to read you're bringing the laptop, and will try to drop a few lines from the Dolphin. I'll be eagerly awaiting for the week of Dec. 20! ;) I too (LOL) use AMEX everywhere I used to use cash (post office, gasoline, grocery, cable bill, phone bill, Dr.'s, etc.). It's all a "wash" since I pay AMEX the cash...and gain MUCHO points in the transfer! It's so funny too, as subliminally I think of the "points" adding up as I pull away from the pumps after a $35.00 fill-up! :p

Have fun packing! 15 suitcases?! Wow...and this year we scaled ourselves down to 2 each on the way there (plus carry-on) and THREE each on the way back. I bought some extra luggage (I do this every trip now) and gave it to family members/friends/charity after returning. Enjoy the weekend! :)

lvs_eeyore...WELCOME! Feel free to join in this fun and lively group of DISers.;) Congratulations on your upcoming FIRST stay at the beautiful WDW SWAN over NYE! The Swan is a Majestic Property with "graceful" architecture. It is a bit more "romantically subtle" in appointments/decor than the colorfully Whimsical sister "Dolphin", and offers more solitude. You should be pleased with the accomodations.

The Swan does not offer the "CORNER KINGS" you are referring to in your post. These are only in the Dolphin. The 10th floor overlooking MGM offers a GREAT view. You can see the Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster, as well as the Sorceror's Mickey Mouse! The windows are truly balcony sliders without openings (meaning they run down to the floor, and are the same size/configuration as the sliders). With all this Glazing, your little ones can curl right up to the glass for a FRONT ROW view of the MAGIC! Yes, you'll be in the Main bldg. and will probably have a view of the Dolphin too, etc. The Swan is understated elegance at it's best. You should be very pleased with this property. ;)

Actually now Im a little concerned. The glass runs to the floor?? Is there anything say to keep a small child from running into the window and breaking it out?? Yes I know Im paranoid but with two young boys you have to be where safety is concerned ROFL. Im also a little height nervous so I probably wont go anywhere near the window if its to the floor. That would freak me out too much.

It was WLD who asked about the king rooms. We cant do a king room because of the kidlets.

I have read so much information about the swan and dolphin on this thread. WHEW!!! I considered staying at the Swan and Dolphin for this summer and then changed my mind. My husband is a teacher so I know he gets a great rate. Are these resorts as magical feeling as the WDW owned properties? I really wanted a room there overlookin MGM or EPCOT, and I didn't know which resort offers which views. Also, is not being able to charge to your room an inconvience to anyone? I mean from the parks that is. Please let me know. With the great rate we are being offered, it would be silly of me not to consider these resorts.

Originally posted by dreamflight99

Actually DF, I don't believe they had ANY meals. Each flight was rather short. Madison to Detroit was 56 minutes and then close to 2 hours from Detroit to Atlanta. We did get YUMMY butter flavored pretzels as a snack - I saved a package of those and I may order online! They were SOOOO good. (Takes so little to satisfy me!) I was very happy with the drink selection - water, several types of soda, 3 kinds of juices I believe, coffee.

But the prices were great! We just ended up scheduling this business trip 3 weeks out so when I was attempting to fly us directly to Birmingham, we were running up around $431 per person - that was changing airlines 3 times!!!!!!!!!!! By flying into Atlanta- no airline change and we dropped to $176 per person & we arrived in Birmingham quicker driving than by changing flights 3 times! (And home 2 1/4 hours earlier). I took a book to read so I was content.

Look like 11/26 is an E-ticket night. Anyone ever taken part in one of these? Worth it?

Sorry S.M., you were posting same time as me! Near the beginning of this thread there should be a link to the old thread (of which many posts may now be missing!) also. If you read thru the 120 pages (ha, ha) there is more info!

Seriously, if you have a Swan room, facing the parking lot side, you will be able to see the back of the Boardwalk, top of the Epcot Ball and over to MGM (ToT, Fantasmic Stadium, EarsWatertower). We were on 12th floor near the center and I don't know that you could see much if you ended up down on the lower levels. There should be a ton of view info in here from Dolphin from DF99.

As to the magic? That varies sooo much from person to person. My fav parks are MGM & Epcot so it was very magical to me to be able to walk out, climb on the Friendship boat and be there in minutes. One of us (DS-18 yrs) could leave the park and go to the room, etc, while DD & mom stayed there. We walked to the Boardwalk a couple of evenings to watch the street entertainment and eat Nachos at ESPN. There are Disney merchandise stores right in each of the hotels. (I think Dolphins is bigger). Everything was SOOOO convenient. Other people feel it severely lacks the Disney magic.

Charging to the room was not an issue for us. I'm sure if I had it I would love it, but my DS has a credit card on my account and he just used that - both had an ATM card if we needed more cash. DD (9) was always with one of us. We did use the package delivery to the room on a daily basis - it is SOOO nice.

Hi RobMax - We LOVED E-nites. I wish they had them at every park! In fact the day we went (Fri nite), we didn't even go to the MK until about an hour before closing. We went and got our armbands right away then fought thru the evening parade crowd. Grabbed a spot on the path up to the Castle and watched from back there - not front and center but no body mass pushing you either. As soon as parade was by us we barreled back to Pooh and Dumbo as park was still technically open. No way would I wait 2 hours in line for Dumbo, but DD really wanted to go on-we were on in minutes cause everyone else was full-speed out of the park!

Regardless, we went on Splash, BTMRR, Buzz (about 5 times), AstroOrbiter, Space Mtn (2 or 3 times) and ???? - seems like there was something else. We accomplished soooo much in that period of time. Tons of people were asking us (as they were being told no-they could no longer go on rides) what our armbands were for. Next time I'll type up index cards explaing it so I don't waste time telling everyone!

It was so relaxing out of the summer heat. I LOVED IT!

ME read through 23 pages!!!! I tried. I really tried. There is so much going on in the threads that are not totally Swan and Dolphin related, that I decided to cut through and just go for it!:o

Thanks for the information. I had told my husband that I didn't think that you could see from the lower levels, but customer service wasn't that much help. Are the 12th floors up concierge? It doesn't matter that much for us, but I feel strange doing concierge knowing all the character breakfasts we have planned. I don't want to waste money. Oh well I really want the view. I might go back over the pages and see what other information I can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter