Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the fastest way to get to Epcot? Is it quicker to take a boat to CR then monorail to Epcot or take the bus directly there? I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere- I didn't see it when going through the pages. Thank you so much!

We always do the bus and it's consistently just over or just under 20 minutes not including any wait time for the bus. If you were doing the boat to CR you'd have that ride time plus the wait for the boat. Then the walk to the monorail and wait for it. Then the transfer to the Epcot monorail and any wait for that. I don't think you'd be able to do better than the bus and most likely would usually take longer. It would be more of a boat/monorail journey than the quickest route.

Just returned from a fantastic week at the lodge! Thanks to this thread for building the excitement. The lodge still managed to exceed my expectations! We usually stay at the Poly, but enjoyed the lodge just as much! Responding to a couple of questions... WCC recognized my birthday just by noticing my button. We had the whole restaurant sing to me. Also, one morning we had breakfast there, and I had to leave before the end of the meal with my wiggly 2 year old. Keenan, our server, sent my husband with a cupcake covered in candles to our room and instructed him to sing to me when I opened the door. No other restaurant on property recognized the birthday, but WCC made it memorable! Our check in was very fast, less than 5 minutes at 10:30 a.m. I had done online check in. Our room was ready by noon. I had made no requests, preferring early check in. Now that I have had room 1164, we would request 1st floor, south wing overlooking the villas. It was quiet, and steps to the quiet pool, beach, boat rental, and main pool. It was also close to boat transportation and easy outside walk to lobby and bus stop. It did have a long interior walk to lobby, but we just stuck with the outdoor shortcuts. Check out was also 5 minutes, including checking backs with airline. We left at 4:00 p.m. And found this much faster than an early morning flight departure. A couple of details I don't remember reading in this thread... Free laundry in the villas building, picnic tables and tether ball on beach by boat rentals made an excellent breakfast picnic spot, the quiet pool has jets! Thanks again to all posters. Hopefully, we will return someday!
not to be snarky but...just an FYI it is not really "free" laundry in the villas section- it is supposed to be for DVC members only, our dues pay for this !

Yes! We are a family of 5 as well, and will "outgrow" the Lodge when our youngest, currently 1, turns 3 so I'd love to see more options for families of 5.

We would like to see this as well. Thanks to my parents, we took our first family trip to WdW last September and stayed at the GF. We loved it there and we loved being so close to MK. We have DS5, DS3, and DD1. We knew that next time we wanted to try WL because we love the theming. So as soon as we returned from wdW I started crunching the numbers to see how and when we could squeeze in a trip before DD1 turns 3. We were thinking May 2016. Then 2 weeks later we discovered Mouseketeer #4 will be arriving in June. (The GF must have been magical; you can do the math :)). So now we are thinking to try for Sep 2017 and renting DVC points for a studio. When the kids are older we will probably have to settle for a value resort suite, but I keep telling myself there will be many changes to come!

not to be snarky but...just an FYI it is not really "free" laundry in the villas section- it is supposed to be for DVC members only, our dues pay for this !

You'd think they ought to be able to do a lock on it that is keyed to open only if you are staying in the villas.

You'd think they ought to be able to do a lock on it that is keyed to open only if you are staying in the villas.
you would think you would at least need to swipe your magic band, but I guess not from previous poster's experience. I believe some DVC buildings may do this but sometimes the doors are left open so anyone can enter. I need to correct myself though - laundry area in villas is only intended for those staying in the villas ( not just us "members" as there are guests who rent from members as well as those who book the villas directly through disney)

Yes! We are a family of 5 as well, and will "outgrow" the Lodge when our youngest, currently 1, turns 3 so I'd love to see more options for families of 5.

We would like to see this as well.

Now, I will point out that, to me, the Cabins are similar to WL in many ways. (Although very different in others.)

They have the same frontier setting. The same incredible quiet. (Even more so.) The same "American" dining options.

Now, there are also huge differences. The Lodge is one enclosed building, whereas the Cabins are spread all over the Wilderness. The cabins give you vastly more space, for your "room".

Just saying that depending on what it is that you like about the Lodge, you might find the Cabins to be a fine substitute, maybe even better.

Yikes! I had no idea. I found the laundry by referring to the map provided at check-in. I saw no sign indicating it was for members only. It was definitely unlocked. Ironically, it took me awhile to figure out how to get the machines to work, because I was trying to insert quarters!

Now, I will point out that, to me, the Cabins are similar to WL in many ways. (Although very different in others.)

They have the same frontier setting. The same incredible quiet. (Even more so.) The same "American" dining options.

Now, there are also huge differences. The Lodge is one enclosed building, whereas the Cabins are spread all over the Wilderness. The cabins give you vastly more space, for your "room".

Just saying that depending on what it is that you like about the Lodge, you might find the Cabins to be a fine substitute, maybe even better.

Thanks for the tip on the cabins. I do think that will be an option when the kids are older as well. We like the rustic atmosphere. ..but I didn't like the idea of having to load kids in the car to get around the property or to the boats. But when they are older we won't have strollers and all the extra stuff so it would be easier!

Made our dining reservations for our upcoming August stay at WL. Man, what a nightmare! Website not working to allow you to do all the days of your stay, long hold on the telephone, things being glitchy for the CM too. I wish Disney could get a handle on their website issues.

At least its done, we got pretty much everything we wanted. Now I can pretty much relax, because that was just about the last bit of planning left to be done. Can't wait for our vacation.

Booked our flight this morning for our August 25 - September 2 trip to WL. Now time to start the ADR planning as our window opens on the 26th. Officially coming now and really excited for our first WL stay.
Congratulations and happy ADRs:)

Quick questions, are there any wait staff in the Territory Lounge to take drinks or food orders or is it necessary to take your requests to the bar yourself?
Sometimes there's only one waitress and sometimes two. Even with two, there can be a wait for service throughout your visit. I suggest not going to TL if you want to be served AND you are in a hurry. The ambience is wonderful and we love it there and go almost nightly, but we never expect stellar service. Go there to relax, take it easy, have a snack or meal from AP, maybe some beverages, but don't expect great service anymore. One of their best servers, LuAnn, who had been there many years, moved last year to DHS/BD, I believe.

Does Sturdy Branches have a hair salon? I was hoping to have my daughters hair done for MNSSHP this September at a salon rather than at BBB. We found BBB to be a bit hectic and the hairstyles to be quite limited when we were there last September.
They only offer massages/facials. Even the hair salon at CR closed years ago. The closest hair salon is at GF. The AK/DHS buses usually stop first at GF or you can boat to CR and monorail over to GF.

Just booked

Add me to the list!! Booked at WL, courtyard bunk beds Aug 7-16.

Now I get to stress out about dining and FP+ planning :banana:. Can't wait to ring that arcade bell.!

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary and we honeymooned at Disney. We have a brick too in front of MK walkway under the monorail. Last time it had gum on it - hope it's cleaner this time!
Congratulations! That is so cool that you have a brick:hyper::goodvibes, I wish they still offered them. I look at them every time I walk from CR to MK. I think the gum's been removed from yours:scratchin. I'll add your dates to the Log.

Anyone ever celebrate a birthday at the lodge?

We are eating lunch at Whispering Canyon on my DH's birthday (Easter Sunday). Wasn't sure if I should make a note on the reservation, or if they do birthday cakes.

We celebrating our DS's birthday during our last trip and had a mickey-head cake delivered to our room. But we were staying at Kidani so we had a fridge to keep the leftovers.
You can make a note on your ADR and they will usually bring a cupcake with a candle to the table. You would need to order a cake though in advance to be sure it was available, though they sometimes have them available short notice. There is a small fridge in the room where you could store a small cake.

Just returned from a fantastic week at the lodge! Thanks to this thread for building the excitement. The lodge still managed to exceed my expectations! We usually stay at the Poly, but enjoyed the lodge just as much! Responding to a couple of questions... WCC recognized my birthday just by noticing my button. We had the whole restaurant sing to me. Also, one morning we had breakfast there, and I had to leave before the end of the meal with my wiggly 2 year old. Keenan, our server, sent my husband with a cupcake covered in candles to our room and instructed him to sing to me when I opened the door. No other restaurant on property recognized the birthday, but WCC made it memorable! Our check in was very fast, less than 5 minutes at 10:30 a.m. I had done online check in. Our room was ready by noon. I had made no requests, preferring early check in. Now that I have had room 1164, we would request 1st floor, south wing overlooking the villas. It was quiet, and steps to the quiet pool, beach, boat rental, and main pool. It was also close to boat transportation and easy outside walk to lobby and bus stop. It did have a long interior walk to lobby, but we just stuck with the outdoor shortcuts. Check out was also 5 minutes, including checking backs with airline. We left at 4:00 p.m. And found this much faster than an early morning flight departure. A couple of details I don't remember reading in this thread... Free laundry in the villas building, picnic tables and tether ball on beach by boat rentals made an excellent breakfast picnic spot, the quiet pool has jets! Thanks again to all posters. Hopefully, we will return someday!
Thanks for posting about your stay. Those picnic tables are in a nice spot behind the marina.

Just adding - for emphasis - in case anyone missed it - the VWL laundry is for the use of VWL guests only, primarily for Studio guests who don't have a W/D in their villa. Frequently, villa laundry rooms are unlocked, like I experienced at BWV when I walked right in to take a photo for my thread. Oddly, the BWI laundry was locked:confused3

So excited! Just booked WL Cl 8/12-8/19! Can't wait to get back! Also just purchased AP last night just in time to beat the price increases which took place as of this morning. Now I am wondering if there will be any AP discounts offered during our dates!
WOOHOO! I'll add your dates to POST 1 and don't forget to add your APs to your MDX account;)

Made our dining reservations for our upcoming August stay at WL. Man, what a nightmare! Website not working to allow you to do all the days of your stay, long hold on the telephone, things being glitchy for the CM too. I wish Disney could get a handle on their website issues.

At least its done, we got pretty much everything we wanted. Now I can pretty much relax, because that was just about the last bit of planning left to be done. Can't wait for our vacation.
Phew, good thing you're done now. I always say I'm done, but I usually do a little tweaking.

WebmasterLeah posted a link in the Resorts forum to a DIS BLOG with wonderful photos of the four lobby teepee chandeliers being rehabbed. Our own Wood Nymph also posted her great photos HERE.

Just noticed you on the list for our days. Even weirder we're celebrating our 20th anniversary and we honeymooned at Disney too!!! Small World!
See you there! I found it freaky when I read yours. We don't have a brick but had a message on the wall at Epcot

I have a client who is looking to book a courtyard view room. Is there any chance of them seeing fireworks from their balcony? If so, where?

TIA!

I have a client who is looking to book a courtyard view room. Is there any chance of them seeing fireworks from their balcony? If so, where?

TIA!
You could do it from a South Wing inner courtyard view room. The higher the floor the better, because the other wing will be in the way, but the fireworks will be above it. Being further East towards the end of the wing should help too.

You could do it from a South Wing inner courtyard view room. The higher the floor the better, because the other wing will be in the way, but the fireworks will be above it. Being further East towards the end of the wing should help too.

Thanks so much!!

I needed a WL pick me up - love looking through the thread and dreaming of our upcoming trip - but my goodness, this was on page 3!!

:hyper2:

Anyone ever celebrate a birthday at the lodge?

We are eating lunch at Whispering Canyon on my DH's birthday (Easter Sunday). Wasn't sure if I should make a note on the reservation, or if they do birthday cakes.

We celebrating our DS's birthday during our last trip and had a mickey-head cake delivered to our room. But we were staying at Kidani so we had a fridge to keep the leftovers.

If you go to the Restaurant Board there is a gigantic thread about ordering a cake - the large thread is from questions, as well as people posting their experiences (I've been stalking the thread! DH will be having a birthday during our trip)

The last time we went to WDW we did take advantage of a custom cake, and if its something you want, then I would definitely call the number posted on that thread and order one. The simplest cake is called a "podium" cake it used to be about $12 and was a good sized cake. Like others said, if noted on your reservation/adr sometimes they will indeed bring you a cupcake or special dessert (I think I read at BOG they bring the "grey stuff")

ETA Link to the "cake thread" http://www.disboards.com/threads/official-disney-cake-chatter-part-iv.3261922/

:cake::D:cloud9:I'm stalking the cake thread too for ideas for an joint birthday and anniversary cake! So many neat ideas there and wonderful photos and descriptions of the cakes shared by othe Disers and all the info about the chefs and options they can do is helpful too.

Congratulations and happy ADRs:)

Phew, good thing you're done now. I always say I'm done, but I usually do a little tweaking.

Ha! I did just add one this morning. I'm sure it won't be the last time I got in and shuffle things about a bit. It's like a compulsion.

We are at WL week of 6/22 for four days. I am interested in knowing more about movies outdoors for kids at WL. When is a schedule published? In June, what time do you think they'll show a movie? Are they every night in summer? Too crowded, or not too bad? I would think my kids would like to do this at least one evening and I'm hoping I don't have ADR preventing this each night. So far I have ADR on just two nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter