New Dining Rules

I wrote an email to Disney about this program being at the expense of loyal Disney guests (AP and DVC). I'll see if I get any response.

I am so angry about this change that I can barely find the words to type.

The last time we went to WDW, we had planned our trip for almost a year. (Yes, I'm a Disney nut.) One week before we left, they announced there would be no more early entry mornings. They may also have announced changes in park hours in general, but I'm not quite as clear on that. Anyway, we were devastated. Our touring plans and PSs had been made according to what had been published previously, and now everything was turned upside down with no time for us to adjust.

Our schedule continued to feel "off kilter" throughout the trip. We couldn't get up in the morning and go to the park, and several of our PS times had to be changed at the last minute because, for example, the Coral Reef no longer opened for lunch at the same time.

For the first and only time, I came home from WDW feeling a little disappointed.

Gradually, I got over it, though, and even bought into DVC. Again, the countdown began, this time at 500 or 600 and some days.

Now, here we are at 130 days out and we discover, all of a sudden, that because we bought a piece of the magic, we will not be able to make PSs in 10 days as expected. In fact, there is a good chance that the restaurants and the times we wanted may not be available by the time we're "allowed" to call and "reserve."

Maybe I'll adjust, but right now this feels like the straw that broke this particular camel's back.

This was in another thread regarding this topic on the DVC Board.
I just spoke with Bambi at WDW travel who is aware of this change and was reading off of a paper she just received to me. She is unsure "why we are all upset"

50% of the restaurant capacity will be open to "package guests" at 180 days. 50% of capacity will be released at 90 days. Per Bambi, "our chances are still as good as ever to get a PS". I guess her math skills need some work, in my mind it is as if there is only half the chance.

I am waitig for the supervisor to express my displeasure and be routed to someone who may be able to take our calls and e-mails.

I'll keep you posted

Originally posted by SAWYERMAW1
Just talked to Disney Dining. She confirmed this would go into effect on 8/4 as reported but would exclude Cindys.

So is CRT still 60 days out?

So what is exactly the deal with Cindy's? Is it still going to be a 60 day thing? Or is it relegated to the 90 day time?

I think it's very irritating that they KNOW this policy goes into effect on August 4th and won't even release the details to people who want to make their plans in accordance with the new rules.

If you know there is a change, publicize it BEFORE the change goes into effect so we all can plan accordingly.

There...end of that rant for now.

"I disagree."

Not anywhere in what you posted did you disagree with my post.

"I would agree with you if this was a perk that was going to package members that didn't impact dvc reservers, but this does impact them because it is a limited resource (tables), and those booking a package are at an advantage to DVC members."

And this has what to do with people no longer buying DVC?

"But this PS policy is different because it could potentially impact me. It doesn't just let somebody else get a perk that they paid for, it could potentially mean that it impacts my vacation. It means that using my DVC points is a disadvantage. And that seems a really poor way to treat the people who have made the bigger commitment."

Would this have prevented you from buying DVC?

"I'm all for capitalism, and I agree that it is wdw's right to do what they want, but I think it would be a stupid thing for them to do."

And this disagrees with me how? I did not indicate whether it was smart or stupid. I just said it was their right. Looks like you are agreeing with me on this part.

Does anyone have any guesses how this will affect the Fantasmic Dinner Package? Will it be the same 90 day window?

:confused:

I have sent emails stating that I'm unhappy that WDW would treat loyal DVC and AP owners this way. I spend just as much, if not more, on my trip without a package. I'm unhappy that I have to wait an extra 90 days to make a PS for Chef Mickey, LTT, and R&C. This is the biggest slap in the face Disney has thrown.

Originally posted by tink2
Now, we booked our room with the Disney Club. In the past, I've heard that a room-only res. through Disney Club was considered a package- will this count?

The way to tell the difference is if your confirmation number is 8 digits (WDTC) or 12 digits (CRO).

All Disney Club discount rooms are booked as a "package" thru WDTC because they add on passes to the sports complex or something equivalent.

My first reaction is, it's just a meal for heavens sake....

I can see why they're doing it. They want to encourage package sales and they're trying to cut into Universal's business ( you that other park that everyone threatens to go to when Disney ticks them off???)

As far as DVC members go....You knew going into the deal that certain terms and conditions could and almost certainly would change over the years. When DVC first started, room discounts were unheard of. Reservations made under 1 year were tough to find. Now, you can practically reserve the day before you leave and the bargains available are incredible. That certainly makes DVC much less attractive than it used it. But, that's just the way it goes and it's the risk you take when you buy a timeshare.

Still, if you're willing to put the cash up front, over the long term you get an incredible deal. I doubt this will effect one single DVC sale. Besides, if it's really that horrible a change...sell your DVC interest.

As for AP holders (which we are), our savings and perks come in the form of really attractive room discounts, along with other minor dining and tour discounts.

So, why not a perk for that group who is willing to buy higher $$ packages?

Along with wanting to encourage package sales, the trouble they have with dining reservations, particularly CRT may have led to this. People have decided this is such a tough to get reservation that they have 10 people calling on the same day, make multiple reservations then cancel or they go through some broker that grabs up reservations to hand out as they see fit.

Maybe if everyone wouldn't get caught up in the crazed frenzy to get CRT reservations, they wouldn't be so hard to get.

Sorry, I can't get worked up over this one...

I booked a room only reservation with WDTC and apparently it is a package - includes free mini golf - not that I asked for this mind you - Half the time I get so confused when booking ressies with WDW. I didn't find the room rate any higher because of this "package." How does everyone else book their room only ressies?

I am waiting for potential discounts, like everyone else. I think the only PS I am wondering about would be CRT as all the other ressies are pretty easy to come by... if CRT isn't included, all the worrying is probably for naught.

I just got back fof the phone with Disney Dining and the lady I spoke to said that they will not have any information on if any of the MK resturants will be participating in this til probably Sunday or Monday. They are still in the discussion phase. She said right now it's more of the ones that are 120 days out are the ones becoming available monday. I think we are all getting different answers and until monday we probably won't have a definite clue as to the complete impact of this decision.

Originally posted by peachgirl

As far as DVC members go....You knew going into the deal that certain terms and conditions could and almost certainly would change over the years. When DVC first started, room discounts were unheard of. Reservations made under 1 year were tough to find. Now, you can practically reserve the day before you leave and the bargains available are incredible. That certainly makes DVC much less attractive than it used it. But, that's just the way it goes and it's the risk you take when you buy a timeshare.

Still, if you're willing to put the cash up front, over the long term you get an incredible deal. I doubt this will effect one single DVC sale. Besides, if it's really that horrible a change...sell your DVC interest.

It would never affect my decision to purchase DVC, that's true. I don't care how much other people pay for their room,s DVC will always be worth it to me.
I have no problems with other perks non DVC members get, whether it be room discounts or whatnot.
However, this is not just a perk for package guests, this is a detriment to DVC members. Package members get something(PS) we get something taken away(PS availability).
I rarely even make a PS, it's just the point.

So, why not a perk for that group who is willing to buy higher $$ packages?

Sorry, I can't get worked up over this one...

You know PG we usually agree. Not this time. As a DVC member Disney will make more money of off me based on the fact they have my money and can invest it. I think your facts are wrong also. DVC is a thriving portion of the corporation and although there are good deals out there for the casual visitor DVC continues to sell. I'm not sure that this will effect A DVC sale but it will affect where some DVCers eat. Thus a loss of revenue for the restaurants. Also, the "sell your DVC" is childish.

As I stated Disney has more of my money and will have a longer time to invest it.

MY DW made a comment to me about this:
If all these people making reservations through Disney travel get all the good times first......then that is absolutely not fair. That would be like being able to put a reserved sign on the sidewalk at 12:00 for a 3:00 parade.

I'm sure you would get worked up about a reserved sign at something you enjoyed for a select few.

However, this is not just a perk for package guests, this is a detriment to DVC members.

True, but it's not something just DVC members are losing nor is it something they were ever guaranteed to start with. I just don't see the particular link between this change and DVC members or AP holders.

I suppose the FTP was to the detriment of DVC and AP guests as well. But, I don't see anything wrong with offering special benefits to other guest. I just don't see where every decision Disney makes has to include the caveat that it can't cost DVC members in any way.

In business, loyalty means $$$'s. I think they're trying to create more loyal guests. They already have the DVC'ers and AP holders.

Originally posted by ripleysmom
"I disagree."

Not anywhere in what you posted did you disagree with my post.

OK. I'm glad!

True, but it's not something just DVC members are losing nor is it something they were ever guaranteed to start with. I just don't see the particular link between this change and DVC members or AP holders.

I didn't mean JUST DVC memebres, but all non package holders.
We were guaranteed a CHANCE to make our reservations just like everyone else..and by changing it we are losing that chance.

I understand about Disney having DVC members and AP holders in their pocket..and I just think it's a crappy thing to do to the most loyal guests Disney has.
I'm confused as to why people can't see that. :confused:

Let me say some more about the dvc thing. No, I'm not worked up over it, no, I don't think they have changed anything from our understanding when we bought. My point is that it makes it less desirable to book a room using dvc points. Would I not buy DVC? I would seriously have to re-consider adding on points. Why? Because if I decided that we wanted to stay an extra weekend a year or something, then this is a reason why it might be better to just go ahead and reserve a room, rather than buying more points. So yeah, it would make me less likely to add on at saratoga springs. It surely wouldn't encourage me to. It isn't something you lost, it is something that makes dvc points less attractive, if you can't call the same time that people booking through WDTC can. I think that they could make it so that the PS we book through MS could be the same date.

And, yes, I think it is taking some of your best customers for granted - cutting them out of a perk that you offer only to package buyers.

I doubt this will effect one single DVC sale.

Well, then you'd be wrong ;) . We have been all set to add on another 100 - 150 points to our contract. We were just waiting until the raise from dh's promotion showed up in our bank account. That'll happen on Friday. With this new wrinkle though, we've decided to wait and see what the final changes end up being. If DVCers aren't included in the ability to book reservations further out, we won't be adding. I don't think that we're the only owners taking a wait and see approach right now. Since add-ons from current owners account for a very significant percentage of DVC sales, this definitely could have an impact - especially since the furvor about SSR doesn't seem to be at the same level as BCVs was when it began selling.

You are right that we won't sell our membership, or stop going to WDW completely, but we're already planning not to buy APs next year and visit HH instead. For the first time in a long time, I have no plans for a visit to WDW after our October trip this year. Since we've averaged 5 trips/year for the past two years, and usually bring other family members/ friends to WDW with us, Disney will have less of our money in their pockets.

I understand that Disney is a business, and needs to have new marketing strategies to entice new customers, but as others have said, you just don't do this at the expense of your loyal customers. You don't see Universal changing their perks to the detriment of their AP Holders or returning customers. I have always seen Disney as a company that sets the bar for other companies in customer service, guest relations and customer satisfaction. I'm not seeing that now, and more than being angry, I'm disappointed.

Hopefully, when the "final" word comes out on the changes, we'll find that Disney Dining has not forgotten those who have been loyal customers regardless of the tourism slump. JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter