New DDP- Servers not happy!

Wow did you hear wrong. The only way the severs "don't get the full 18%" is because its added to their paychecks. Lets say a server works 20 hours at $3(60 total) and received $300 in grat. Their paycheck would be about $280ish. The rest of it went to taxes.

There were no servers complaining about that. It was simply a case of the higher ups at disney seeing what other little tiny aspect they car cut to save them another quarter. They keep chiseling away at their cast members while filling their own pockets. It will come back to haunt them one day. Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he could see this company now.

Thier paycheck for the day, will be that much. Add that by 5 days. Not to bad. Roughly around 1500 a week.:rolleyes1

I haven't read all the posts here so I am not sure if this was mentioned but I think the servers wanted the tips removed because all those auto tips were not only delaying how quickly they got paid but they also had to obviously claim all those tips come tax time. We all know servers/waitstaff never claim all their actual tips but since these were automatic, they had to.

The sad truth is that the servers will most likely see a drop in income. I waited tables though college and many people just do not tip. Sometimes it is because they forget and sometimes it is because they are cheap or just picky. I would say for every 5 tables you have only two will leave a 15% or more tip. Some people cannot be pleased no matter how hard you try. The DDP cut out alot of these loses for the servers. I think it is really sad b/c this could cause some of the better servers to quit because they can no sustain the same income they had w/ DDP.

But, what did they do before the dining plan?

Plenty of people now are not on any kind of dining plan at all so it's not like they don't deal with this anyway.

I guess I'm not a fan of guaranteed gratutities and I worked as a server for years.

Let's not forget that the servers do NOT always get to keep their own tips--many pool tips with bar and buss staff, and occasionly with even runners and other servers.
Sure-a GOOD server who hustles and is friendly, etc can make pretty good money. That's fine. And that's precisely the kind of server I want!! Don't tip them properly (or pay a good wage) and the quality of the folks willing to do the job will decline. And we'll have a bunch of going through the motions deadbeats working as servers.

The real problem I see is that servers are taxed on every check for tips they receive or don’t .
Whether you tip or not the servers gets taxed on tips
Is that fare??
They will actually get a negative pay check where they make less money then they owe In taxes

The real problem I see is that servers are taxed on every check for tips they receive or don’t .
Is that fare??
They will actually get a negative pay check where they make less money then they owe In taxes

No, not fair to be taxed on something not earned if that is the case.

But, many people deal with "not fair" every day in their jobs.

I certainly hope Disney makes people aware the tip is not included. I noticed it is clearly stated on the brochure so that is a start.

I think WDW servers have it much better tip-wise than their "real world" counterparts--even with the changes. Very high table occupancy and higher than average menus prices have to impact their tips in a good way. Even the elimination of the DDP appetizer probably speeds service enough to get one more seating cycle in during a shift--and an extra set of tips. Do they work for their money? Absolutely, but I think most make out ok. Why deal with us crazy WDW guests otherwise?

As far as the changes to the DDP, it's obviously a money decision on the part of WDW higher-ups, imo. Reports indicate that people were easily spending more than the entire day's DDP cost at their table service dinners. A $40 DDP dinner costs WDW over $7 in tip. Even a $28 dinner buffet is a $5 tip. Cut out the appetizer too and that's another $5 to $12 savings for WDW. So, WDW has cut about $10-$19 of daily value from the DDP. That's equivalent to a 26 to 50 percent price increase! As much people may not like these changes, I'm sure they're going over better than raising DDP pricing to $55 per day for the same plan. It's really genius if you think about it...

I do hope that in light of the changes, people will tip appropriately. (Of course, that's not the same as a guaranteed 18% tip regardless of how well you do your job, but that's not how compensation works for most of us.) We eat out in the non-WDW, non-DDP world, so we are used to tipping. I think most people are. Hopefully, that will mean appropriate tips for servers from DDP guests in 2008 and beyond.

Their paycheck for the day, will be that much. Add that by 5 days. Not to bad. Roughly around 1500 a week.:rolleyes1

What are you talking about? You really think servers work 5, TWENTY HOUR shifts? A majority of servers at disney are part time, and thus limited to the number of hours they can work. They are not allowed to average more than 24 hours a week, so thats 3, maybe 4 shifts. On average they work 2 or 3 days a week.

My example was for a week if you haven't figured that out. I was simply showing how its true they don't get all their grat, but thats because it goes to taxes.

I wouldn't want to be a server at the first of the year. I'd imagine they will have to mention that tipping isn't added in the DDP and that will make some feel uncomfortable. I'd guess that thier overall tip rates will drop too.

I do think from a consumer point of view it could help in recieving better service. Now the servers know that the size of thier tip will be a reflection of the quality of thier service. I like this idea.

Our trip is Jan 1-7. I plan to make the servers aware that I understand the changes in the DDP as soon as they come to the table. Just a "We're on the DDP and are aware of the new changes so let's get started..." will do. Then they don't have to worry about being stiffed.

I like the idea of hearing feedback from servers. I'd like to hear some reports sometime around mid Feburary.

-international travlers that don't "know" they need to tip(although in the year 2008 I really find this hard to believe)

AS an international traveller ,I find it hard to believe that in 2008 you dont pay waiting on staff a decent wage so they dont have to rely on tips!
Over here they get a minimum wage and tips on tip if they serve you well!

AS an international traveller ,I find it hard to believe that in 2008 you dont pay waiting on staff a decent wage so they dont have to rely on tips!
Over here they get a minimum wage and tips on tip if they serve you well!

It's a last remnant of barbarism here in the US. We need some legislation to bring wait staff into the minimum wage category. They should never have been excluded in the first place.

The assumed tipping rate imposed by the IRS is in retaliation for those who didn't report their tips for many, many moons.

One of my pet peeves on tipping is that it is assumed that the tip is based on the total amount of the bill. Here in this part of Virginia, the tax on restaurant meals (all prepared and served at eating temperature food, even deli counters) is 11.5%. Now, I'll pay a fair tip on the cost of the meal, but why in heavens name should I pay a tip on the tax?

Wow did you hear wrong. The only way the severs "don't get the full 18%" is because its added to their paychecks. Lets say a server works 20 hours at $3(60 total) and received $300 in grat. Their paycheck would be about $280ish. The rest of it went to taxes.

There were no servers complaining about that. It was simply a case of the higher ups at disney seeing what other little tiny aspect they car cut to save them another quarter. They keep chiseling away at their cast members while filling their own pockets. It will come back to haunt them one day. Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he could see this company now.

Walt was cremated. He might be shaking.

We will use the ddp, but will still tip. I tip according to service, to a point. Start at 15% and go up from there, according to service.

It's a last remnant of barbarism here in the US. We need some legislation to bring wait staff into the minimum wage category. They should never have been excluded in the first place.

The assumed tipping rate imposed by the IRS is in retaliation for those who didn't report their tips for many, many moons.

One of my pet peeves on tipping is that it is assumed that the tip is based on the total amount of the bill. Here in this part of Virginia, the tax on restaurant meals (all prepared and served at eating temperature food, even deli counters) is 11.5%. Now, I'll pay a fair tip on the cost of the meal, but why in heavens name should I pay a tip on the tax?

I never tip on the taxed total--but I do use the taxed amount to figure my tip--where I live tax is 9.5% so I just double the tax to give a tip for very good service, round the tax up for subpar service. Of course for above average service I will leave a bit more--but 19% is close enough to 20% for me!

What are you talking about? You really think servers work 5, TWENTY HOUR shifts? A majority of servers at disney are part time, and thus limited to the number of hours they can work. They are not allowed to average more than 24 hours a week, so thats 3, maybe 4 shifts. On average they work 2 or 3 days a week.

My example was for a week if you haven't figured that out. I was simply showing how its true they don't get all their grat, but thats because it goes to taxes.

I see from your post you are very passionate, sarcastic. :lmao: Or is that confrontational, anyhow....:rolleyes1

My point. I do not feel bad about servers wages. I guess you could have summed that up from my previous post. Next time, be a little less passionate with your tone toward me. We don't want demerit' do we?:)

I'm wondering if all these people who are so concerned about the servers wages tip the bus drivers or CM in the parks who are also on pretty rubbish wages, yet get no extras. A Disney server can make a lot of money more in a day than the others make in a week.

Is that fare??

And does anyone know this for a fact? I find this very hard to believe! Please prove this one to me. :surfweb:

And does anyone know this for a fact? I find this very hard to believe! Please prove this one to me. :surfweb:

Yes only 8% on a buffet if there sale = 100 and they make 5 they loose money that day
stait from irs http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/industries/article/0,,id=98401,00.html

Allocation of Tips

As an employer, you must ensure that the total tip income reported to you during any pay period is, at a minimum, equal to 8% of your total receipts for that period.
In calculating 8% of total receipts, you do not include nonallocable receipts. Nonallocable receipts are defined as receipts for carry out sales and receipts with a service charge added of 10% or more.

When the total reported to you is less than 8%, you must allocate the difference between the actual tip income reported and 8% of gross receipts. There are three methods for allocating tip income:

Gross Receipt Method
Hours Worked Method
Good Faith Agreement
Employers can request a lower rate (but not lower than 2%) for tip allocation purposes by submitting an application to the IRS. Detailed instructions for computing allocation of tips, reporting allocated tips to employees, and for requesting a lower rate can be found in the

Every day i have to enter my total tips into the time clock if i dont enter 8% it atomaticaly rounds it up to 8% of sale if i go over the 8% the clock looks at me like I'm a dummie

most don't know about being able to lower to 2% thanks for maken me look it up may be i can get the 2%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter