New Cruiser - I have no clue!

Wow! Thanks for all the tips! I was starting to stress over what all I needed to bring for my cruise next month. It's my first cruise ever and you really helped a bunch! :worship:We are driving to the port, so I was wondering what time we needed to be there that day to board? :confused3

Thanks everyone! That's why I love the DIS!!

And now for more questions...

What are standards for tipping? And who all should be tipped? Do you tip cash, or how does it work if it is charged to your room? Do you tip at the time of service (like when room service is delivered, leave a tip everyday for house keeping, tip at the table at the end of dinner, etc..) or in just one lump at the end of the cruise? My daughter will be taking part in the kids activities...do the counselors get tipped? Counselors are not tipped in the kids club. Some people bring them snack food but I have never found this necessary. Tips are given out to the 4 tipped positions on the last night of the cruise. Your servers may not be there for your last breakfast so its just easier to get it done the night before. It's one less thing to worry about on the last day. Tip for everyone in your party, even your kids regardless of age. And finally, if you buy alcoholic beverages by the pool or at the bar please note that they have already tipped themselves 15%. There is a line so that you may increase the tip but there is no requirement and you won't look bad.

My mother will be going with us, and she is a smoker. I read the DCL rules, but what is respectible? Are there designated spots? Will it bother the neighbors if she smokes on the veranda of our cabin? I don't want her to offend anyone.Smokers are limited to very few spots on the ship. They may smoke on the starboard (right) side of the ship on Deck 9 and 10. Please note that they may not smoke near the Mickey Pool no matter what side of the ship they are on. DH personally refuses to smoke near the Goofy pool as well. There are too many kids running around and he is afraid that he may accidentally hit one with a cig so he will only smoke in the adults only area on Deck 9. Smoking is also allowed on Deck 4 (starboard) from the hours of 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. only. The hour restriction is new. Smoking is also allowed on your verandah. As you will probably not be in the room that much than I wouldn't worry too much about offending others with smoke. The ship is moving so unless someone is seriously chain smoking your DM shouldn't seriously offend anyone with a cigarette now and then. And remember, you also paid a lot of money for that verandah. Your DM can smoke an occasional cig out there. Sorry, but that's a pet peeve of mine.

For dressing for dinner - are we talking nice sun dresses or ball dresses? For men, is a suit and tie necessary? Nice sun dresses are certainly acceptable. A suit and tie is nice but certainly not necessary. DH wore button up shirts and black pants every night. He did dress up for Formal night but that was on the 7 night and people dress up more on that cruise.

Where do you get the magnets from? I see people design their own...is there a place to order them from or some way to print at home? There is a magnet design thread on this forum. Hang around enough and it will pop up to the front page. Don't be shy about asking people to make magnets for you. The creative people are really very generous!!

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll think of more! :thumbsup2

And for the photos (I didn't feel like quoting that post), they are sold by "credits" now. You either buy the photo outright - $10 for a 6x8 or $20 for the 8x10, or you buy credits. I can't remember the price but it may have been something like $149 for 20 credits, $199 for 30 and $249 for 40 (something like that). Anyway, a 6x8 is equal to 1 credit and an 8x10 is equal to 2 credits. Most character photos are 1 credit except for when they are in speciality costumes. So Jack Sparrow will be an 8x10, Formal Mickey and Minnie are 8x10, Minnie by the pool in the gazebo will probably be a 6x8.

They usually swipe your KTTW when you take photos or they have this new photo recognition software. You can see your pictures on line at a little photo kiosk. This helps you figure out what you like and don't like. Plus they are displayed in the slots in the photo shop.
You can also purchase a photo CD. I didn't price it out for us so I can't tell you the price. The price for this also varies depending on the length of the cruise.

Pictures are always my biggest expense so I try to budget for them. You can also get Christmas cards done on the boat as well. We did this last time and they came out really nice.

Enjoy your cruise and ask any questions you like.

Wow! Thanks Allison, you really broke it down for me!

So I'm a little confused about paying for things not included in the package, like alcoholic beverages, room service items that are extra $ (like bottled water), and items at the shops on ship. Do you pay cash at the time of service, or do you charge it to your room and settle up the last night?

And since the tips are authorized all at one time on the last night, is there a "check out" procedure the night before where you do this?

Thanks!!

Wow! Thanks Allison, you really broke it down for me! Glad I could help.

So I'm a little confused about paying for things not included in the package, like alcoholic beverages, room service items that are extra $ (like bottled water), and items at the shops on ship. Do you pay cash at the time of service, or do you charge it to your room and settle up the last night? You pay for everything with your KTTW card starting in the terminal (if you buy something at the little shop there). Every time you go to the store or buy an alcoholic beverage or a smoothie or room service items with charges you will give them the card (okay room service is just billed to the stateroom). It is the exact same thing as swiping your credit card at a store. We only use cash on the boat to tip the room service people. We usually don't order items that cost to the room so we usually just tip $2 to $3 depending on how big the order is.

If you have a credit card linked to your account then DCL will charge the card when your bill reaches a certain amount and then again on the last morning. If you never reach that amount than your card will be charged on your last morning and the bill shoved under your door before you awaken. Surprise!!! :scared1: :lmao:

And since the tips are authorized all at one time on the last night, is there a "check out" procedure the night before where you do this? On your next to last night, you will receive a sheet with tipping guidelines. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, yes tipping is optional. However to me service would have to be mega bad before I wouldn't tip. Okay, now on with the procedure. You get the sheet with the guidelines and the 4 envelopes for the tips. The envelopes are pre-printed and "Stateroom Host/Hostess" "Head Server" "Server" and "Assistant Server". They do not have these people's names, just the position. You can put cash in the envelopes for the tips or you can go down to guest services and have them charge your KTTW card with the amount you request. They will give you "tickets" back. They look like a movie theater ticket for lack of a better description. You keep one side and place the other side in the appropriate envelope. This helps the staff claim their tips at the end of the cruise should there have been any mix up somewhere along the line.
I always do the GS route. I also go down the day I get the envelopes. It saves time because everyone is doing it the final day. I figure my card is getting charged anyway so I may as well take care of it.

Thanks!!

I hope this helps. Ask away. I don't feel like working this afternoon. :lmao:

I am taking the plunge and booking our very first cruise vacation. We have decided to change our DW trip to a May 2011 cruise on the dream. I am very excited, but don't know where to start. This board saved me last year planning our DW trip. There was so much to learn and plan before we left ( I am so glad I did, the vacation went smoothly). I know there is not as much planning involved on a cruise vacation, but is there anything I need to do (besides planning excursions)? Thank you for your advise!! CAn't wait to see what cruising is all about!

I am taking the plunge and booking our very first cruise vacation. We have decided to change our DW trip to a May 2011 cruise on the dream. I am very excited, but don't know where to start. This board saved me last year planning our DW trip. There was so much to learn and plan before we left ( I am so glad I did, the vacation went smoothly). I know there is not as much planning involved on a cruise vacation, but is there anything I need to do (besides planning excursions)? Thank you for your advise!! CAn't wait to see what cruising is all about!

You're correct that there is a lot less planning for a cruise.

I would suggest that you read through the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum (if you haven't yet). There is a lot of great info there, and at the links referenced in the thread.

I'm going to merge this thread with another thread that's already started so the OP can get the same info.

These are some really good tips!! We are also going on a first time cruise this fall. Thanks for taking the time to share all of this. We will certainly be using this for our very first cruise!

You are welcome! I am so glad that I took the time to type all of this up after our 1st cruise as I now can go back to check to see what I need to bring for our 2nd cruise in March - LOL! :cool1:

Tinkermom3, thank you so much! I copied all your tips into a Word document so I can refer back to them later (we don't sail until June 2011). Thank you!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter