New category at AKL in 2007?

Rozzie

DIS Cast Member
just off the phone, and booked a concierge standard room for Jan for only $360 a night. The website shows a different (higher) rate. Yet 2 CMs confirmed the correct rate, and states it is a "new category" for 2007. I get a 50/50 chance for a savanna view, can only request it. Or I get a pool view.

I am way super confused. can someone shed some light? They say I have a standard with concierge service. Is this the way it used to be??? I have never stayed at AKL before, and it's DH's bday present.....just want to make sure I get it right!

:confused3

Concierge has pool or savannah views and its true you can ask for savannah but its not guaranteed. That rate is awfully low for concierge.
Concierge rates start at $435 in the value season and go up from there.

4greatboys said:
Concierge has pool or savannah views and its true you can ask for savannah but its not guaranteed. That rate is awfully low for concierge.
Concierge rates start at $435 in the value season and go up from there.

for real, i called twice and talked to 2 different CMs to confirm the price. They both told me the same thing. I just don't get it....

Rozzie said:
for real, i called twice and talked to 2 different CMs to confirm the price. They both told me the same thing. I just don't get it....

Did you maybe have a pin code on file with disney? If not and they are giving you concierge for that rate I would book it now.

4greatboys said:
Did you maybe have a pin code on file with disney? If not and they are giving you concierge for that rate I would book it now.

oh I booked it LOL. I didn't even ask about a pin code. Surely they would have said that when I asked about the price difference?

now I am scared to call back for a 3rd time, scared of what I will find! ;)

Rozzie said:
oh I booked it LOL. I didn't even ask about a pin code. Surely they would have said that when I asked about the price difference?

now I am scared to call back for a 3rd time, scared of what I will find! ;)

Good Luck! I hope it really is what they told you.

that's way better than the ap rate i got january 06 for con level. that's a great rate.

To the OP:

I booked the same level room as you for March 2007 about one month ago. I was very confused and asked about it on this board -- everyone said it could not be concierge if it was a standard, not a deluxe room.

I called AKL, AKL CL, AKL IPO and CRO. From what I could piece together this is a concierge room. It is standard size. There wont be any Deluxe CL rooms in 2007. It will most likely have a view of the savannah. It is less expensive (ours is a bit more than yours since we are going during Peak season) than the 2006 Deluxe non-CL savannah rooms. I was told by CRO that all the Deluxe CL rooms were sold out, but AKL said that they are not sold out, just unavailable.

They are making changes at AKL and this is one of them. I think the price you were quoted is rack rate -- the AAA discounts and other discounts are not out yet. This means you may be able to lower your rate even more when they come out.

After many phone calls, this is just what I could put together -- it may not be the exact "truth" of the situation. If you find out anything else, let me know!

mmmears--
thank you so much!! I thought I was going crazy. I have now called 3 times, and each CM stated as you have. It is a new category, it is a standard, not a deluxe, and that Deluxe CL rooms won't be availabe. They said a savannah view is a request, not guaranteed. One of the CMs stated, they are charging more for the "larger" room (deluxe). I have pondered this all night, but thanks to your post, I feel a little out of the dark.

Thanks again, I will post a TR to let everyone know what exactly the new CL AKL rooms actually are for 2007!! It is a great rate! :)

wow i went in march and paid 614.00 a night....... you got a great deal!!! just maybe i can talk the dh to go back since the rate is so low???? vicki

Rozzie said:
Thanks again, I will post a TR to let everyone know what exactly the new CL AKL rooms actually are for 2007!! It is a great rate! :)

Glad I could help -- I was really worried, too. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you. BTW the only people at WDW who seemed to know what I was talking about were select people at AKL, not even everyone there believed me when I told them the room category and price!

Have a great trip!!!

Rozzie said:
mmmears--
thank you so much!! I thought I was going crazy. I have now called 3 times, and each CM stated as you have. It is a new category, it is a standard, not a deluxe, and that Deluxe CL rooms won't be availabe. They said a savannah view is a request, not guaranteed. One of the CMs stated, they are charging more for the "larger" room (deluxe). I have pondered this all night, but thanks to your post, I feel a little out of the dark.

Just to add more support, I just got an email from one of the folks in the IPO at AKL and they told me that there is indeed a new category of concierge for 2007. They now are providing concierge rooms in both "standard" size and "deluxe" (slightly larger) size. Otherwise all else is the same.

Bob

However, until they gurantee the view I am not willing to stay there. I am not paying that much not to have a Savannah view.....

4greatboys said:
Good Luck! I hope it really is what they told you.
Wouldn't she know if it wasn't once she received her confirmation in the mail?? :confused3

I wonder if this is a sign that AKL is next for a refurb...... refurbs are usually done on a 5-6 year rotation, and AKL was opened in 2001, so 2007 would be the 6 year mark. Since the rooms are not booked, just "unavailable" it would seem so!
Sherrie

I believe they are up for a refurb. When I was just trying to get an idea of prices a few months ago I went online to book something for value season in December and it said there were no concierge rooms available. I panicked and asked my TA if there were going to be rooms available in January and she said they may be doing a refurb (that's why it showed no rooms available) and she would let me know the blackout dates.

Oh, lovely.

Just when I manage to pull myself away from the WL - which was under rehab when I was there in March, now I may be at the AKL while theirs is going on. :rolleyes:

When I was at AKL CL last month I did hear from a CM that CL rooms were going down for a refurb "by the end of the year". My guess is that they are waiting until after the holidays and will just place CL guests on 4th floor (reg, not deluxe rooms) instead of 5th and 6th floors (which I believe are all deluxe rooms) while they redo the rooms. Wonder what they will do with the lounge, I was told the lounge would also be part of the refurb. They were already rehabbing one of the suites on our floor (5th) while we were there - looked inside when we walked past and it looked like they were replacing tile. :smooth:

Aren't the Deluxe Savannah rooms on the 5-6th floors too? That's what we need, because we have five people. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter