New Bypass the Desk Check in

A few online check-in questions:
  1. When does online check-in window open up?
  2. Do you do it on DME?
  3. Does WDW send an email when it opens up?
  4. We don't have park tickets day of arrival so we will be hanging around the hotel for the day and aren't pressed for time. Are there benefits of online check-in besides being a time saver?
  5. How do you assign credit cards to your MB's? I understand that is done at check-in
TIA!!

1. 60 days from arrival
2. Yes , if you go to "Reservations and tickets" it will show your resort reservation and a link to online checkin will be available.
3. I'm not sure since we booked right at 60 days.
4. It's just an optional way , I think best for those that want to go direct to their room and don't need to speak to a CM. We are doing it because we are arriving late ( 7pm arrival) and want to head to MK as much as possible that night which has EMH from 12m-2am. It's definitely at your discretion.
5. It will ask to assign a credit card for incidentals. If you need to assign multiple , skip online check in so the CM can assist you at the desk.

5. It will ask to assign a credit card for incidentals. If you need to assign multiple , skip online check in so the CM can assist you at the desk.

Thanks Astylla, great reply and information!

I do have a follow up question to your above reply. I am unclear if linking a Credit Card during online check-in automatically links it to all Magic Bands? Or does it just link the CC to the room? I expect that we will link only one CC to all the bands so if it does that's great.

Thanks Astylla, great reply and information!

I do have a follow up question to your above reply. I am unclear if linking a Credit Card during online check-in automatically links it to all Magic Bands? Or does it just link the CC to the room? I expect that we will link only one CC to all the bands so if it does that's great.

I'm not entirely sure but it appears on my end to link it to the room and all MB attached. This works fine with DH and I . It asked me to set a pin for us which I did.

I haven't been at the resort yet myself , however answered with all the information I've read and personal experience during my online check in.

A few online check-in questions:
  1. When does online check-in window open up?
  2. Do you do it on DME?
  3. Does WDW send an email when it opens up?
  4. We don't have park tickets day of arrival so we will be hanging around the hotel for the day and aren't pressed for time. Are there benefits of online check-in besides being a time saver?
  5. How do you assign credit cards to your MB's? I understand that is done at check-in
TIA!!

As to #5: I *think* I was able to do this via MDE before arriving. Even if I wasn't, I don't remember it ever being an issue - at most I stopped down at the concierge with our MBs once and it was fine.

According to MDE our credit cards and PINs are already linked to our new MBs - it will be amazing if they actually work the first time, I'm hoping they do!

Separate Q of my own - if I've already done online checkin, when do I ask about the possibility of a paid (or free) upgrade?

I got my room text at half past noon. I won't be in Orlando until midnight.

Yes, you can assign a creedit card and establish a PIN (or acknowledge that you will use a previous PIN) when you do your online check-in.

If you are looking for an upgrade, you'll have to go to the front desk when you arrive and ask for one. If you are going to arbitrarily be assigned a free upgrade, then you will receive the upgraded room number when you get your text.

If there are any questions you want to ask, anything unusual you want to do (like set up multiple room charges) or any reason you might want to change your assigned room you will need to visit the front desk.

If you don't want to hear about your room number until you actually arrive at the resort, then skip the online check-in and do it the traditional way.

Last edited:
I got the email saying I was eligible. Will be looking for my room number via Text. Plan on getting off DME and hopping right on the MK bus.

Does online check in increase the chances of getting your room early? We are staying at BC for the first time so I was thinking it may be better to check in at the desk. We are flying in the night before and will be arriving at the BC fairly early the morning that we check in.

I did Direct to Room last week at POFQ and it was perfect. When I booked on the phone with Disney, I booked a Garden View Room and made a general request for "convenient to the main building." I did not mark any requests during online check in, but did give an estimated arrival time. (My plane wasn't getting in until about 3 pm so early arrival wasn't an issue.) When I got off the plane, I turned on my phone and there was the text with my room #. Since this was my 3rd stay at POFQ, and I was in Bldg 2 again (where I stayed last year), I knew at once where my room was. When I got to POFQ, I walked straight there, MB worked fine. I had a great location, Bldg 2, 2nd floor, the side facing Bldg 3 and the fountain courtyard. Turned out to be an extra-good location considering that the bus stops were operating out of the Building 3 parking lot during some temp construction.

I didn't have the dining plan so can't comment on that. And I agree with MrKnight, I wouldn't do this at an unfamiliar resort, or if I had some very specific requests. I know my way around POFQ, though, and there really is no bad location there, so any time I stay there, I will do this.

Does online check in increase the chances of getting your room early? We are staying at BC for the first time so I was thinking it may be better to check in at the desk. We are flying in the night before and will be arriving at the BC fairly early the morning that we check in.

I don't know, but when you do online check-in you tell them what time you anticipate arriving, so maybe it would increase your chances of getting in the room early? My plane lands at 9:15 AM my next trip, so I will find out I guess.

it does because there's an option you can pick that says early check in is important to you.
they will try to fulfill any other requests you have as well but they will find rooms that are available early before all else.
i checked off early check in but i also requested 50's section lake side at POP and i got everything i asked for.

you also let them know an approximate time of arrival and departure when you do online check in so that allows them to do their best to have your room ready when you get there.

personally i put an approximate arrival 30 minutes earlier than what i did expect to be there to try to ensure my room would be ready.

Can you bypass check in at the front desk if you are renting dvc points? I know that the dvc member has to make room requests for you so I wasn't sure about the online check in.

Let me know if you find this out for sure. We are renting DVC points in September at AKV. Although I have linked my resort reservation to MDE account and it looks like any other reservation, so I'm hoping we can check in (and make room requests in the process) like any other reservation.

Wonder why the CM that meets the bus doesn't have welcome packets to give those who have done online check-in. That would make more sense. So , if you want this packet (with map), is there a separate line at the check in desk inside for people who have already done the online thing or do you have to wait in the same line as those who have not already checked in?

Also, if you have to drop luggage at bell stand, they automatically deliver to your room when the room is assigned or do you have to pick the luggage up when you return to the hotel to get your room?

Let me know if you find this out for sure. We are renting DVC points in September at AKV. Although I have linked my resort reservation to MDE account and it looks like any other reservation, so I'm hoping we can check in (and make room requests in the process) like any other reservation.
I'd like to know too!

Can you go straight to the park for rope drop without having to go to the resort? Would our magic bands be active with our park tickets? We're planning on staying offsite the night before and it would be great if we could just drive straight to the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter