new blog: Is Magic Kingdom's "Skipper Canteen" taking on water?

WebmasterLeah

DIS Veteran
The menu doesn't appeal to me. I'm not exactly a picky eater, but I have never liked Asian and African foods. There are certain things I think are ok, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere. I agree with some of the comments on the blog that for the price I wouldn't want to risk not liking it.

The menu doesn't appeal to me. I'm not exactly a picky eater, but I have never liked Asian and African foods. There are certain things I think are ok, but I would rather spend my money elsewhere. I agree with some of the comments on the blog that for the price I wouldn't want to risk not liking it.
Agree. For the prices, would definitely rather spend my money elsewhere. I can get great Asian food all over by me at home, and some of the more "adventurous" items on the menu which I would not order anyway at places around home are too pricey here for me to want to experiment and not like them. I go to Boma almost every visit and love the mix of "new to me" African food and flavors, and other favorites I know I'd like, plus it has the lure to me of being at the stunning AKL, and the animals to see. So if I'm wanting African inspired foods, I'll continue to go there.

Just MHO of course, but I have ZERO interest in trying Skipper's Canteen personally. I do applaud Pete's well thought out and stated thoughts, though, and figure it's all just a matter of difference of taste, and opinion.

Last edited:

The menu was a chief problem with us. It doesn't look very appealing.

I also wonder if many thought it would be the restaurant version of Trader Sam's. And they are expecting the jokey attitudes of the Skippers. I've seen a review or two stating that the wait staff does not interact in a fun way with the guests. So that might be part of it as well.

I like having a restaurant that does not require a reservation months in advance but I know that I am in the minority on that score.

I personally think the theme of the restaurant is a bit boring...I believe that it should have been Tiana's in my opinion. With New Orleans inspired food with gumbo and famous donuts she makes (not sure how to spell them) I believe, like Be Our Guest, people want to be in a place where the movies take place. I believe it would have fit perfectly there, and could have even had a character meal or a meet and greet with Tiana, Louis, Naveen and Dr. Facilier could have met guests too.

Again I believe it's a cool restaurant, but they missed the boat by not doing Tianas...

I did a walk up to Skipper Canteen. Lunch for two including tip ran to $85 (two hot teas, two entres, two deserts). Food was OK but definitely way over priced. Restaurant is nicely themed and CM was attentive. Skipper Canteen could probably survive if counter service in Magic Kingdom wasn't so much better and less expensive. Price is what would keep me from going back.

Just watched Pete's review and for the most part I agree with it. The sustainable fish I had for lunch (black cod) was very good. The pork my wife had was well prepared but not as well liked. The selection of teas was excellent (chilly day in the park).

Last edited:
Check out Pete's thought on the restaurant too:

I agree with Pete on this.

When Disney started this restuarant they wanted to try something different. Everyone is so caught up in getting ADRs they wanted to have something available for people who don't have ADRs. While I think ADRs is somewhat part of the people I think the biggest concern for people is the menu.

The Magic Kingdom tends to have a lot of the same but as of late they have been trying to change that. For example Pecos Bill went from typical burgers to a menu that represented the theme more. BoG's menus represents that theme, and now Skipper Canteen like Pete said represents the theme of the jungle cruise.

I myself haven't eaten there but from the people I have seen who have, like Pete have all said it's very good.

I think we might see a few changes but I hope they don't change too much like Pete said, no dumbing down the menu.

I personally think the theme of the restaurant is a bit boring...I believe that it should have been Tiana's in my opinion. With New Orleans inspired food with gumbo and famous donuts she makes (not sure how to spell them) I believe, like Be Our Guest, people want to be in a place where the movies take place. I believe it would have fit perfectly there, and could have even had a character meal or a meet and greet with Tiana, Louis, Naveen and Dr. Facilier could have met guests too.

Again I believe it's a cool restaurant, but they missed the boat by not doing Tianas...
Looks for a New Orleans theme to be coming to Fultons possible after that goes under refurb in April. Tianas just doesn't fit in adventureland in my opinion. This theme works.

I did a walk up to Skipper Canteen. Lunch for two including tip ran to $85 (two hot teas, two entres, one desert). Food was OK but definitely way over priced. Restaurant is nicely themed and CM was attentive. Skipper Canteen could probably survive if counter service in Magic Kingdom wasn't so much better and less expensive. Barring a change in menu and prices, the only thing that could save Skipper Canteen, IMHO, is a bar. (Do we really want to add alcohol to the "Happiest Place on Earth"?)
Well BoG serves alcohol already so that would only be expanding it.

Looks for a New Orleans theme to be coming to Fultons possible after that goes under refurb in April. Tianas just doesn't fit in adventureland in my opinion. This theme works.

I think it fits with the Jungle Cruise and the whole swamp/bayou

Um......has Pete been making these short video commentaries for awhile? Have I missed them? Where are they?

There is no New Orleans Square at WDW which would be the best Tiana fit. But Adventureland no. Frontierland and Liberty would be a better fit with the Riverboat.

Oooh - LOVE this whole idea, I would DEFINITELY go there! And yes, I LOVE beignets, and usually make a point to go to POFQ to get them (and a muffaletta) during a trip, and soak in the atmosphere at this gorgeously-themed resort.

Um......has Pete been making these short video commentaries for awhile? Have I missed them? Where are they?
This is the 1st one I remember. Maybe this is where the was talking about trying to "flesh out the solo shows a bit more" at the end of last year. If so, I LIKE it!

I'd be contributing my money to this restaurant, but sadly, I love in Texas so I haven't been able to try it out, though I'm very excited to.

It does look pricey, but in my opinion, most Disney table services are. I think I've finally been priced out of 'ohana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter