new blog: Disney’s Limited Time Magic – Extra Pixie Dust or Unmet Expectations?

Enjoyed reading Nikki's blog. Some interesting points but since its only Mid-February I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude. At least for a while longer. So far I'm not impressed but who knows what is coming.

I do agree that many of the Disney promotions are over-hyped. Disney needs to focus more on the actual enhancement and less on the press releases in this area. Disney has always adhered to the "under promise and over deliver" philosophy in the way they run the parks. Its time to bring that to their press machine.

We were there for the "snow" in Canada. Honestly, most people walked by without even noticing it. Waiting to see what they have later on in the year.

I'm here now for what they're calling True Love Week. It's not really much. A bunch of red flowers in the normal hanging baskets, a sign out front, Cindy's coach is out, and supposedly the princes are around somewhere. I spent all day at MK and didn't see them. The special merchandise for this week is not much. One picture frame and it looks like they put all of the red Minnie items in with it on display. -shrug-

Great blog! I especially love & agree with the part about "Celebrating Bringing Back the Norm" It's so true! I remember going in early 2000 and there were a bunch of "retired" characters walking around - Becky from Talespin, Robin Hood, Launch Pad & Bernard & Bianca to name a few - and I have to say it was way more fun to walk around and find different characters than seeing Mickey & Pluto 5 times a day (I LOVE the fab 5, but I don't need them at every corner) I am hoping Disney is going to get this kind of positive reaction to long lost friends week and start bringing them back but I totally agree that, for the most part, the Limited Time Magic is mostly about stuff that used to be (or should be) the norm, maybe they will spice it up as the year goes on!

UPDATE: I just got back from five days at WDW during "True Love Week." My feelings have not changed. The castle had a "blushing effect" of red and pink lights on it at night; it also had a few hearts projected on it. That was cool. Cindy's coach was out (she wasn't anywhere nearby - they just had it out to take pics with) and supposedly the princesses and princes were around, but I did not see them. The color of the flowers along Main Street and near the castle forecourt were pink. As far as merchandise goes, there was a Valentine's Day picture frame and a light-up child's toy sold. The rest of the displays contained normal items that were sold all of the time. The difference? They were red and white. :rotfl2:

That was the extent of this special week. Although the park looked nice, I still feel that these are things that should happen anyway. We'll see what the rest of the year brings I guess. :confused3

You hit the nail on the head with this one. LTM is about as lame an idea (for the consumer) as anyone could possibly come up with. All Disney is doing is re-purposing cast members and decorations at no cost to itself, trying to make guests feel as if they are in the midst of some special magic. Yes, it may be true that expectations have been unrealistically raised, but that is what has happened. Most people care about three things:
  • Discounts
  • Discounts, and
  • Discounts
You can coat the castle in a pink birthday cake, or shower it with photos of smiling guests. I don't care one way or the other if all I can get is rack rate for my room. Perhaps Disney is trying out a new strategy of attracting 15% fewer guests per year who all spend 20% more than typical guests due to the lack of discounts. In the end, the bottom line rises. Who knows? But I know many, many Disney-philes and not a single one of them has been motivated by this current promotion. If anything, they are going (if at all) in spite of the promotion and not because of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter