new blog: A Theme Park Pet Peeve

Texas roadblocks! i.e. lines of people who are at the park together who insist on walking side by side reeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow so you can NOT get around them if your life (or FP+) depends on it.

When my family and I have been sitting/standing in our desired spot for the Parade for a LONG time and someone tries to push their way in or throw their kid in front of us at the last minute:(

This has happened to us at Disney and local parades, too. People are just plain inconsiderate everywhere you go. :mad:

I've seen a ton of complaints on Dis about parents who try to shove their kids in front during a parade. However I did have a magical experience at a parade at DHS. DH and I had been waiting in our spot for awhile and a couple of families with several little girls came up behind us. My 6'3" DH stepped back so the girls could see better. He doesn't care much about parades. I asked the parents if it was OK if the girls sat on the curb in front of me. They were so happy that I asked and I have a wonderful memory of watching these four little girls laugh and clap in delight during the parade. I certainly don't like it when people try to push and shove to get in front of me but if I can make someone else's day more magical that's what it's all about.

It's actually more of a consideration thing.... Have common courtesy

I agree - I was always taught that if you want to stop in the middle of a walkway, get to the sides so people can pass.

My big annoyance is when pushing a stroller, most people will open a bubble of space around you. I also intentionally stay a bit behind the people in front so my child doesn't accidentally kick them in the legs. Well, there are others who decide to use that small amount of space to try to push forward in the crowd. So the step directly into that space. Meaning I either have to put on the brakes or risk running into them. Takes me about 2 times of this happening each day before I just pretend not to notice and keep going.

Aside from the stuff mentioned, I would go with people using flash photography on rides and/or recording the entire ride.

I was on Pirates of the Caribbean one time and a guy in the front row recorded everything with his iPad. Guess they don't realize that it's a dark ride and their video is going to look terrible. Then you have the rides where people insist on using the flash on their camera over and over.

Aside from the stuff mentioned, I would go with people using flash photography on rides and/or recording the entire ride.

I was on Pirates of the Caribbean one time and a guy in the front row recorded everything with his iPad. Guess they don't realize that it's a dark ride and their video is going to look terrible. Then you have the rides where people insist on using the flash on their camera over and over.

THIS. I was at MK last week and on Pirates we had people using flash in BOTH the boats in front and behind of us...it was hands down the most aggravating thing I'd ever experienced at Disney. You'd think people would have learned by now that flash pictures in dark rides usually end up sucking...

1. FTC (Failure to commit) ride people. These folk hang out directly in front of the rides or in front of a restaurant trying to figure out if the ride/eatery is what they want to do, meanwhile blocking everyone else from actually getting on the ride. Either get on, or get out of the way.

2. TMD (Too Much Disney): It's the state in which a kid has just been to the park for too long and is tired and cranky. I don't blame the kid. It's the parents who fail to recognize that their kid needs a drink/break/snack/nap, and forces the poor munchkin to march on through the parks that makes me mad.

3. People who don't remember how many are in their party while getting on rides. OK, you came onto the ride with 3 people, chances are you will load onto the ride vehicle with the same amount of people. Instead, these folks always have a "deer in the headlights" look about them. Often #1 and #3 go together.

4. Unsupervised toddler-driven strollers. If your child is under the age of 16 (at least), they should not operate a stroller. Especially if they are 3-6.
Also, side-by-side strollers are annoying - I can't see how they are easy to operate, but people seem to love them, idk.

FTC is my biggest pet peeve though.

I also agree with the Poster about the Texas roadblock and the HUGE side-by-side

I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over it but I do see what the writer is saying. You are in line how long and it didn't cross your mind that you were going to have to tell them what you want and pay. My husband is actually guilty of this. He will wait till very last minute to get his wallet out, I'm always nudging him to get it out. I mean you know they aren't giving it to you for free. This next trip he will have the bracelet so this won't be a problem anymore. So while this wouldn't be enough to get me upset I do sometimes wonder what people are thinking.

I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch over it but I do see what the writer is saying. You are in line how long and it didn't cross your mind that you were going to have to tell them what you want and pay. My husband is actually guilty of this. He will wait till very last minute to get his wallet out, I'm always nudging him to get it out. I mean you know they aren't giving it to you for free. This next trip he will have the bracelet so this won't be a problem anymore. So while this wouldn't be enough to get me upset I do sometimes wonder what people are thinking.

My husband does this sometimes. Waits until we get to the front of the line, then proceeds to ask 'what's good' and have a conversation with the person.

I'm like, DUDE. Order your shiznit!!

My biggest one is people who are rude to the cast members when they are working so hard to make everyone's trip special.

Huge strollers. ReallY? do you need a stroller the size of a small car? its like a status symbol do you need Giant stroller to prove your parenting swaG?

I feel the need to defend people with large strollers. It's not a status thing, its a comfort thing...if my kids need a nap while in the parks, better they have a comfy stroller where the seats recline than have them screaming and crying. :goodvibes

Also, side-by-side strollers are annoying - I can't see how they are easy to operate, but people seem to love them, idk.
If you've ever pushed a front to back stroller you'll see that they push like a flat bed shopping cart at Costco. Side by side are much easier to navigate.

All this aside, I try to be very considerate with my stroller and aware of the people around me. However, if you cut me off or stop short I can't be responsible if your ankles get clipped. :rolleyes1

Mine is people trying to take pictures/videos with their iPads .. blocking the view of people behind them. Annoying!!

Agreed op. Not sure it tops my list but this is definitely a pet peeve of mine and certainly not limited to theme parks. Problem is some folks are, and will always be, completely oblivious to how they impact others.

Here is a list of my to 10 pet peeves at Disney:

1.) People cutting in front of and stepping on my stroller. Last year we rented a park stroller and as we were making the mass exodus from the park after the fireworks someone stepped onto the front part of the stroller just to get in front of us. Luckily DH was strong enough to hold it down or else it would have tipped over with my DD in it. We weren't going slow we were moving with the flow of the crowd. But I guess this person was in such a hurry to get in the long monorail line.

2.) People complaining about the crowds and the heat. It is Disney World. It is going to be crowded and hot deal with it or leave.

3.) People that expect to get a table at table service restaurants without an ADR and stand forever at the podium begging the host/hostess to find them a table.

4.) Tour groups that insist on staying together.

5.) People who take video and pictures with their iPads blocking the view of those behind them.

6.) People who cut in line saying they are trying to get up with their party. Everyone in your party should enter the ride line together. The only exception is long wait time and a child has to use the restroom.

7.) People who take forever with a character because they want to get the perfect picture of their crying baby with Mickey.

8.) People who want you to let their child jump ahead of you in a character line because it is their child's favorite character.

9.) People who try to get in the FP line when they don't have FP but they stand at the entrance blocking it and beg the CM to let them on.

10.) People who expect you to let their child stand in front of you for a parade because they got there at the last minute and expect to find a spot and you have been sitting on the curb for hours to get a good spot.

I could keep going.

I agree with the auther's pet peeve, with people waiting to the counter to decide what they want to eat. If 5 people do that let's say adds 2 mins more for each person, that add extra 10mins wait to the people behind them and it backs up the line even more. Please if you are waiting in line have it all picked out.

Another pet peeve of mine is crying/trantrum/unsurprised kids in restaurants or shows. Please if your kid is crying, do something about it, the rest of us our trying to enjoy our dinner. Also watch your kid, do not let your kid run around the restaurant. Disney provides great places for kids to run around in and that does not included the very nice restruant. We had a kid cry right next to us through out the whole and I mean whole fantasmic! show.... Not cool, take your kid out, they are too tried. So we missed parts of the show because of her inconsideration.

I have to add one more.

People who let their young children go thru the buffet lines unsupervised. I have seen kids touch the food with their hands then put it back. No one wants to eat something that your child's dirty hands and touched.

The last time we were in WDW, we repeatedly had people that would not stand in line behind us. Instead, they would stand beside us and try to cut in at the last second. Whatever happened to queuing up and waiting your turn?

It was particularly bad on Mickey's Philharmonic when the side lines stretched out to 5 on either side of the main line (like a pyramid), all the way up to where you enter the ropes. This was a few years ago, and I am hoping that when I take my daughter down the week after next, it won't be so bad. I am guessing it is wishful thinking!

OK, so as the dad of a little guy who loves to ride my shoulders, I'll bite.

What should we do with our kids who have stood with us for over an hour to watch the fireworks/castle show?

We've been stuck in areas where it is just rows of people and its imposable for the little guys to see anything—there really is no 'front row' during wishes. I imagine no one has ever gotten down to their level once to see how enjoyable it is looking at nothing but butts and handbags all around you.

If I put him on my shoulders, at least I'm only going straight up, and that late at night he is usually slouched over the back of my head like a 35 lb hat anyway...trust me I know. But if i hold him in my arms off to the side, wouldn't he be clogging the space at eye level between me and the next guy? At any concert, sports event or show I went to has the floor seating designed offset so that you can look between the people directly in front of you.

Not trying to start a fight, but in any of these shows where people are crammed in, the kids have the worse view out of all of us. Plus, with the stampedes right after, I prefer to have him on my shoulders b/c I know he cant get separated from me.

Would it be better for you if I had him on my shoulders before the show started, so that you could recognize that its not a good place for you to stand?

Trust me, after a long hot day of park trekking, do I want to add another heavy, moist, sticky ice cream fingers in my hair, heatmeizer to my shoulders? NO, but I do it b/c i'm there for my kids to enjoy the event as much as I am.

We (myself included) forget what the world is like for a 3 footer a lot of the time. A great example of this is how USA Hockey recently did an experiment at an adult tournament and "upsized" the rink and nets to give the players the feeling of being an 8-year old hockey player and the challenges they face on a full rink. Very fun video

When my family and I have been sitting/standing in our desired spot for the Parade for a LONG time and someone tries to push their way in or throw their kid in front of us at the last minute:(

THIS! and all the others especially park traffic courtesies, moving over, changing lanes in single file line vs a chorus line.
I think if me and my kids sat on the ground and pressed our faces up against the black fence (Epcot Illuminations) people would send their kids to stand on us... I BELIEVE they would.
We got there HOURS before the show and were right up to the fence in Mexico... and a little girl walks on our stuff and stand right in front of me.
Im sitting holding a 2 year old looking at the backs of her LEGS..
I just DO NOT ALLOW this.. LOL :rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter