New Birth Certificate Requirements Question

I am glad I gave my sister the money to get a passport book in February (and it only took two weeks). Our father's first name is a single initial along with his middle name. And to top it off the last name on her birth certificate is spelled wrong (fixed a year later but my parents never got a new birth certificate).

She had no problem getting a passport once all the documents were in order. Today it probably would have been really difficult.

This is my situation exactly, as far as my dad's first name being an initial. I'm hoping it doesn't make getting a passport difficult!

So, now that the rules have been amended regarding using a birth certificate as the primary form of citizenship documentation, I have a couple of questions:

1. My husband's birth certificate only has his parents first name, middle initial, and last name (no middle names). The MO department of vital statistics says that they cannot issue a new birth certificate to add the middle names, unless the parents originally gave their middle names when they had him back in the 70s. So...when he goes to get his passport, is the birth certificate with just middle initials going to be okay, or should he try to get a new birth certificate with the parents' middle names? I have looked and looked, but I cannot find any information on what the US State Dept. considers a 'full name.' Does it mean just first and last, or is middle a necessity now?

2. My nephew, who will be traveling with us, was also born in MO. His BC also only has the parents' first name, middle initial and last name. My sister is refusing to pay for him to get a passport or even a passport card, b/c 'this is going to be nephew's last trip,' and she doesn't want the expense. PLEASE don't turn this thread into a debate of passport vs. BC...I just want to know what to do if she cannot get a new birth certificate for him that has both parents' middle names on it??

3. Both of my kids and I have a passport card. I'm assuming this will still be valid for travel this October, since they don't expire until 2013. Does anyone know if any rules for passport cards has changed, or will they still suffice as our primary citizenship document (not planning on bringing bc's this time, but wanted to be sure that the card was still okay).

Sorry for the length of the post--just wondering and hoping you could provide some clarity! :thumbsup2

I took a look at the law itself. It doesn't specify what the full name entails.

I'm with everyone else that thinks the middle name won't matter. If you really want to cover your bases, you may want to get ahold of a baptismal certificate or medical records.

b) Secondary evidence of birth in the United States. If the applicant cannot submit a birth certificate that meets the requirement of paragraph (a) of this section, he or she must submit secondary evidence sufficient to establish to the satisfaction of the Department that he or she was born in the United States. Secondary evidence includes but is not limited to hospital birth certificates, baptismal certificates, medical and school records, certificates of circumcision, other documentary evidence created shortly after birth but generally not more than 5 years after birth, and/or affidavits of persons having personal knowledge of the facts of the birth.

I don't think you'll need that secondary evidence though. :)

I doubt they mean middle names. Full name is just first and last. My mother's parents don't even have middle names, and she got her passport fine.

Thank you sooo much for posting this! We are sailing on the Dream in less than two weeks and are using birth certificates. After I read this, I noticed my husband's bc does not include his parents names! :scared1: We have sailed three previous times and never had a problem. It looks like he has the shorter version of his bc so he is off to get a certified copy of the longer version today!

Thanks again :)

Eileen

They have to have options for those that don't have all the information. My mom's birth certificate doesn't even have her father listed at all.

Believe it or not, not all birth certificates are issued with the parent's names.:confused3 In an attempt to make passports more secure, they are now requiring this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter