New bariatric patient going to WDW help

rissa1224

Earning My Ears
I will be at WDW the week of Feb 25th. I am a 1 month post op bariatric patient- will be almost 3 months by the time I go. My surgeon gave me special cards for restaurants if I chose to go, and obviously disney is a huge one! LOL Will the places we go eat take the cards, which explain my stomach only holds 3oz of food and to allow us to order a smaller portion at a reduced price, so I can order from the kids menu or get a kids price for buffets? Its a special diet request card.
We are paying cash (going with Make A Wish who gives us money for food). I can only eat 1/2 c to a cup of food at a time. Why would I pay $15+ for a meal I can have only a few forkfulls of? I hope they will accomodate. Anyone have bariatric surgery and go also?

I would love an answer to this as well. We are going in April and my Dad is 1.5 years out of surgery and still only eats about a cup or so at a time. We were going to add the DDP to our stay this time, but Disney wouldn't concede anything for my dad. They said he would have to pay full adult price for his plan. I'm not sure how they will handle it at each restaurant once we are there and he presents his card. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this.

I suggest sharing an entree' with someone else. I would completely Skip all buffets and of course dessert and drinks. Too much temptation really in that anyway. ;) My husband and I had no problem sharing anywhere we ate in September. Portions are plenty big for one person and will be plenty for you to nibble on. And remember to carry your water with you and any protein supplements your doctor suggests. You should have no problems. :thumbsup2 If you have any other questions let me know, I am 8 months out myself and 10 lbs from goal. Though I am perfectly happy where I am. ;) Good luck on your journey to a healthy and happy new you!! :cool1:

I went a year post surgery and was able to order off kids menu, as long as not on DDP. Trouble is kids menus are very limited and often pizza or nuggets. After a day or two figured out it was just easier to share a meal with my son or husband or just get an appetizer. I brought protein powder with me and usually just made a protein shake for breakfast. I also looked at menus online before trip to figure out the best places to go for me. Have a fun trip,and congrats on your surgery:cool1:

At fixed price restaurants you will pay based on age, not how much you eat. This has been reported many times on the disABILITIES! board. At the fixed price restaurants, you're paying for the experience as much as you're paying for the food (most are character meals or dinner shows).

At restaurants where you order off the menu, you're better off ordering an appetizer or side dish or sharing a meal with somebody else in your party rather than ordering a kids meal. The kids meals are not the kinds of foods you want to be eating post-surgery. You don't want to make yourself sick.

Hi, I had bariatric surgery 1.5 years ago and have been to Disney twice since then. My advice is to either accept the fact that at buffets you can't eat a lot but you will pay the regular price. When we go we only do Boma since we love the African flavours. W also share an app and an entree since I can only eat a little bit. I also take crystal lite packages with me into the park so I don't drink any pop or sugary iced tea... I will share a dole whip, or any other treats with my husband as I still can get sick quite easily on them...I brought pre-made protein shakes with me for the morning and have that for breakfast, it was quick and fast and it allowed me to get in my protein for the day. You just have to be careful with the fast food, it can really get to you, there is a lot of junk food at Disney! The best thing for us is just to split everything. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Hi, I had bariatric surgery 1.5 years ago and have been to Disney twice since then. My advice is to either accept the fact that at buffets you can't eat a lot but you will pay the regular price. When we go we only do Boma since we love the African flavours. W also share an app and an entree since I can only eat a little bit. I also take crystal lite packages with me into the park so I don't drink any pop or sugary iced tea... I will share a dole whip, or any other treats with my husband as I still can get sick quite easily on them...I brought pre-made protein shakes with me for the morning and have that for breakfast, it was quick and fast and it allowed me to get in my protein for the day. You just have to be careful with the fast food, it can really get to you, there is a lot of junk food at Disney! The best thing for us is just to split everything. Hope you have a wonderful time!

This. Buffets, and ALL Disney restaurants, will charge you full price. They don't discount food, because you have lots of options. I also pack protein shakes, and have been known to protein bars into the parks. They're accomodating enough to let you bring your own food, but they will not do price adjustments. Share entrees. :)

rissa1224 said:
I will be at WDW the week of Feb 25th. I am a 1 month post op bariatric patient- will be almost 3 months by the time I go. My surgeon gave me special cards for restaurants if I chose to go, and obviously disney is a huge one! LOL Will the places we go eat take the cards, which explain my stomach only holds 3oz of food and to allow us to order a smaller portion at a reduced price, so I can order from the kids menu or get a kids price for buffets? Its a special diet request card.
We are paying cash (going with Make A Wish who gives us money for food). I can only eat 1/2 c to a cup of food at a time. Why would I pay $15+ for a meal I can have only a few forkfulls of? I hope they will accomodate. Anyone have bariatric surgery and go also?

I am 2 years post op. You have no choice but to pay full price for buffets. They don't give deals on that. When we eat at menu restaurants I share with someone usually. Ordering off of the kids menus at most dis restaurants will not give u good choices. Make sure you stay hydrated. Know before you go what foods work for you and stick with those. Don't try new things while at the world. Have a good trip.

I'm 3.5 years out and while I can eat more than you still not anywhere near a normal amount. We were on the DxDP (I wanted more sit down meals so I didn't feel as rushed to eat, which helped!). Yes a lot of food went to waste, but they don't discount it for WLS patients. Also we did several character/buffet meals so I was able to just take what I wanted and not worrying about having a ton left over. I'd advise against ordering from a child's menu anywhere because many times they tend to be fried food which can wreck havoc on a new pouch (or at least with gastric bypass it can, am assuming with other methods as well). Or if you're not on the dining plan consider sharing with someone in your party. Looking at the menus ahead of time really helped us plan where to eat. Just take it slow, eat slow, don't try new things so early out, stay hydrated, and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter