• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Baby @ OKW

M

mjr0483

Hi all,

I own 250 @ OKW with a March use year and have 20 or so points banked. We usually go twice a year and use All of our points.

But my wife is expecting our first this coming October and don't see us using our points for at least a year while the new baby is on the way.

Most Non-Disney Nuts like ourselves wouldn't dream of bringing their children until they are at least 5.

What is the youngest child you would take to OKW?

We normally go by oursleves (quiet time away) and don't bring along grand parents that we can hand off too.

Thanks,

Joe

We took out daughter for the first time when she was 14 months. it was wonderful. we didn't have to worry about seeing certain rides, we just went with the flow of things. not a problem at all. good luck with the new baby!! ----kelly

My DD was 18 months on our first trip and she loved it. The only problem was that we were in a reguler hotel room ( The Disney Inn) and she had a hard time getting to sleep in that crib with us in the same room (she had her own room at home). In a DVC 1 bedroom it would have been heaven. I'm sure you could start them off a lot younger too if you're willing to take it slow. If you're staying in a unit with a kitchen, washer and dryer it's just like home really, only you get to see Mickey too!

we bought when our child was 2 she loves OKW thinks its her second home

We did 15 months as well and it was wonderful!!!! She loved it! Now that we are DVC members I could easily see myself taking a six month old along (and we don't do the grandparent hand off either). My little one would sleep on me, so we would just get on rides, see shows like normal and she would sleep through it.

Laura

We, too, are expecting our first baby this October. We have a "family reunion" of about 13 (including baby - we have a GV booked) planned for Feb 2003. Yes, we realize the child will be 5 months old, and will not remember the trip at all - but there will be annual trips to OKW every year - so they will catch up.

Congrats on the baby, I know how you feel!

Robb

Our youngest was 9 months old when she went for the first time. She did great--we used one of those "baby slings" (ours was made by NoJo--but that was 8 years ago!) and she was just like a little koala bear. We took afternoon naps (her older sisters were 2 and 4) but that was ok with us!

People tell us all the time that they want to wait until their children are old enough to remember the trip. Our philosophy is that WE want to experience the "magic" and remember it through the innocent eyes of a child!

You'll have to determine your comfort level for traveling with your baby. But, when you own DVC, there's no need to worry about wasting a trip the child won't remember. I think that's the negative many people have for bringing babies. I think of it more like going to your vacation home. If you don't want to expose the child to lots of people, you can stay out of the parks themselves and do things around the resorts. Vero or HHI might be options to consider if you don't want to tackle the parks.

Our daughter celebrated her one year birthday at OKW. We had alot of family that lived in the Orlando area and invited them all for the party.

She actually started walking at Disney, in fact her first steps actually walking occurred at the bus stop at OKW waiting on the bus for the MK.

We all had a great time!

DD will be 16 months when we go home for the first time at VWL this coming November. We will take her on the small rides at MK, fireworks at Epcot, and the hang out at the resort pools. We will be going again in May of 2003 so we can introduce her to a few more rides.

Since DW and I have been three times before and we have 40 years of DVC there is no need to rush.

Our daughter was 3 months old on her first trip. Our son was 2 1/2 at the time. No problems taking her at that age since they still sleep a lot of the time. Also, so many rides at WDW like Peter Pan, Pooh, the train etc. are so gentle that you can take young ones on and just hold them with no problem. We've gone every year since our kids were born and the experience is different and great at each age. I say go as soon as possible and as often as possible! Have fun!!

We're doing our first DVC trip in September. We'll have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old, a 22 month old, and a 6 week old baby. We'll also have their parents (DSs and very DDs-I-L). We know that the kids are little for Disney, but this is just their first of many, many trips. That's the beauty of DVC.
pal

Our baby is due on June 8th and we will be going with the new one on August 25th. It's our vacation home, and we're psyched to have our new baby go with us there! The baby, if he arrives on time will be 10 to 11 weeks old.

My dd was almost 6mo on her first WDW trip...when we joined DVC. It was a great trip and much easier than our last trip when she was 22mo. I carried her in a babysling most of the time and she was incredibly happy.

We also visited WDW when I was 5 1/2 mo pregnant with her....my second time while pregnant. Really there isn't much that you have to skip.

Why not take a quick trip before baby arrives? It would be an enjoyable "last chance by yourselves" kind of thing!

Our son was 4 months old when we went in Dec. and we had a great time. We brought our stroller so he could sleep when he wanted too. He loved all of the activity, sights and sounds.

We will be taking him back in May when he will be 9 months old.

Eck45 -

Any hints or recommendations on traveling with a baby to WDW?
How was the flight? Did you bring all the diapers?

Are you starting a playgroup? ;-)

From the Shores of Riley Lake in the Twin Cities...

Robb

We are going in May with our newest edition at 2.5 months, we are a little bit lucky though, because her 6 year old and 3 year old sisters think they are her mother also.

You just have to take it easy and just not go commando style, it is actually sort of nice because you end up at a slower pace and see so much more that Disney has to offer. The gardens and the attention to detail of the castle (did you know the the tiles in the hallway of the castle are absolutely incredible), and the cleanliness are what make Disney what it is.

The first time we went our youngest was 16 months and it was awesome to see her reactions, the reason Disney is so fun is that you are able to see it through the eyes of your children no matter what their age.

Belle and Rella's Dad
and Abby born March 8

57 More days and I just got Cindys PS today

Our daughter just turned three and it was our first trip to DIsney. I read all the warnings about age before making my decision, but, DH had just spent a year in a grueling job and was forced to take a vacation in February 2001, without much warning. Decided to celebrate DD's birthday and he thought he would play golf all week while M-I-L, DD and I went to the parks and sat by the pool. Well, there was no golf playing that week - we went to the parks in the morning, pool in the afternoon, DD at night. OKW west the perfect resort and we had the greatest time. I am saving all my pennies to buy into DVC. If I owned, I would never have questioned brining a three year old to disney knowing that it would just be the first of many trips!

Take your child; know when enough is enough and to call it a day, and keep in mind that you get to go back!

Our twin daughters were 2 the first time we went to OKW. Took our youngest daughter at 5 months to BWV. Packed the diapers, food, etc. That way there was plenty of room going home for all the souvenirs!

The twins will be 8 on Wednesday, and our youngest will be 5 next month. We've been every year at least once, sometimes twice! It's still amazing to see their reaction to the Disney Magic.

Take your baby and have a wonderful time!

We brought our daughter when she was 18 months old and she had a wonderful time. I'm not quite sure why people think this age is difficult: they can nap in their stoller instead of having to go back to the room; you don't have to wait in line for the bathroom since they are still in diapers; they are not nursing and you don't have to cart around formula.

We are considering to bring a 3 month old to WDW in October. My real concern is whether the baby will be sleeping through the night or not. We have time to see what will happen and may end up banking our points instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter