New baby furniture help

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
I am currently pregnant with our first child and need help finding some baby furniture. We are looking for a bassinet I can keep next to the bed that has a cover or sturdy netting that will help keep the cats from bothering the baby. We found ones that will fit the crib but need need a bassinet that comes with a cover or a cover we can buy that will fit on a bassinet. Any advice on keeping the baby safe with cats would be great.

This is a bassinet that converts to a crib and then to a toddler bed and then to a twin bed... or chairs. LOL. But you can get a net that drapes down over it - not sure about it being sturdy enough to keep really hyper cats out but we have a cat and really have never had any issue with him messing with our babies (and hes been here for all 5) He sniffs the baby now and then but he's never tried anything else...

we draped a baby blanket over the basinet. it had a canopy already, so we just draped the blanket from the top of that. our cat wanted (still wants) nothing to do with ds (8 months today!) lol

the cat did get in the basinet when ds was out of it. hopped in, sniffed, looked around and got out. checked things out ad he didn't get in again. so you may get that.

We have two cats and I worried about them with the baby too, because one of our cats is a real snuggler. They really dont want anything much to do with the baby. THey ignored him when he was little because he didnt do much and now that he is a little bigger he grabs their fur when they get close enough. Anyways we have a bassinet that we had in our room for him til he outgrew once he was in his own crib (bassinets usually only last til they are 15pds but check that out on your own style same with pack and plays) we intended to put a screen door on room that way it would keep cats out and not have to particularly attach to the crib. So that is another option :)

You could hang bells from it - my cat hated the bells we put on DDs crib and stayed away after the first couple of jingles. Just be sure the baby cannot get to them.

Honestly, I would wait and see how your cat reacts or if he finds the crib a cozy place to hang out. If you find him inside it with your baby, then look into getting something like this: http://www.securebaby.com/sbct02.html It's a crib tent. If you are worried about your cat getting in there when you aren't home, you can get a basic crib net like this one to keep him out: http://www.netkidswear.com/babycribnet.html and just keep it uncovered when you are home. :thumbsup2

Congrats on your pregnancy! I also have to say that my cats never bothered my babies either. Cats are sort of picky like that:) The baby will cry and be up every few hours and cats don't like to be disturbed. My cats didn't even want to be in the same room for a while. I also just always shut the bedroom door. I still shut my kids room doors because I don't want the cats and fur on their beds. Best wishes and I am sure all will work out with your cats:)

Congratulations. What a wonderful time for you!

I had four cats when our DS was born. All of them were cuddlers and one was well over 20 pounds. We were very concerned about then getting in with our DS especially since one of them liked to climb in the crib before he came home. We did not ever have any of the 4 cats jump in the crib with him. We even had a basket bassinet that was on the floor that we would put him in when we were in the family room and he was taking a nap. They would jump up on our laps when we were feeding him, sit next to us on the couch when we were holding him and even surround him when we had him on a blanket on the floor when we played with him, but they never got in his crib or bassinet with him. I agree with a PP, just wait and see what happens, and if he is sleeping in the room when you are not there just keep the door shut so the cat can't get in. Play it by ear. You have to spend so much money on baby stuff wait to see if you really need to spend the money on this.

I will be in the minority here and say that our cat has gotten into the crib with DD several times. I have never had a safety concern but was more concerned that she would wake her up. DD is only in the crib at night though and naps on the floor. The cat is often curled up with her for naps :goodvibes. I'm not really a help with finding a bassinet though. When DD was really little, she slept in the one that was part of the pack n play and we never found the cat in there. The cat does however, LOVE to scratch her claws on the sides of the PnP. I agree that you should wait to see how baby and the cats get along. You might find it easier to move your baby straight to the crib or your cats may have no interest whatsoever in your baby.

Congrats on your pregnancy. :goodvibes

The same company that makes crib tents also makes pack n play tents (can you tell DS was a climber? :scared1:).

Many pack n plays come with a bassinet feature, so that, plus the tent should work for you.

Here is a link to the crib tent website:
https://www.totsinmind.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter