New Apple Podcast App

jcb

always emerging from hibernation
According to a MacRumors article, Apple has released a "podcast" App. This was to be part of the iOS 6 upgrade but has been released separately and works with iOS 5.1 or later devices. Apple's description of it:

Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.

Features:

• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices

I'm downloading it now. Of course, I'm primarily interested in seeing how quickly this App recognizes there is a new DIS Unplugged podcast.

Thank goodness! Downloading it now. I'm beta testing 6 and it has not been podcast friendly. It hasn't let me download podcasts at all unless I download on my laptop and plug-in to sync. They also changed the lock screen when a podcast is playing to only allow you to FF or RWD 15 seconds, rather than hold it down and go as far as you'd like. Looks like that has been fixed.

Messing with it now and it seems very user-friendly. I haven't found the sleep timer yet though :confused3

Thank goodness! Downloading it now. I'm beta testing 6 and it has not been podcast friendly. It hasn't let me download podcasts at all unless I download on my laptop and plug-in to sync. They also changed the lock screen when a podcast is playing to only allow you to FF or RWD 15 seconds, rather than hold it down and go as far as you'd like. Looks like that has been fixed.

Messing with it now and it seems very user-friendly. I haven't found the sleep timer yet though :confused3

Once you get to this screen:
4738228b.jpg

The sleep timer is in the middle *right* of the screen, in the square with the clock and some "z"'s (which is not the greatest logo choice).

I like it, the 30 second fast forward and 10 second rewind are great options to have.

So, this app lets you download podcasts directly to your device instead of going through your computer? Is that right? Does it take the same amount of time? Is it automatic or do you have to go check it?

So, this app lets you download podcasts directly to your device instead of going through your computer? Is that right? Does it take the same amount of time? Is it automatic or do you have to go check it?

Yes, Yes, could be slower, no:thumbsup2

Once you get to this screen:
4738228b.jpg

The sleep timer is in the middle *right* of the screen, in the square with the clock and some "z"'s (which is not the greatest logo choice).
OK, I really have to wonder how many people using this app will have NO IDEA what the graphics at the top of this screen are supposed to represent.... :confused3

Sayhello

I have been using iCatcher for my podcasts. Best thing is the two minute jump ahead called the Leo Jump. It is named after Leo LaPorte. Great for skipping commercials.

I will give this new app a try.

I have been using it for a day. It allowed me to subscribe to podcasts on the phone and will download new content as it finds it. I've not used it long enough to see one of my podcasts automatically refreshed, but the concept is very exciting to me!

I like the look of the app - the only thing I don't like it the tape screen - it's a bit dark for me and some of the buttons are a bit small. WHICH makes me wonder if there is a larger screen in store for the new iphone this fall.

I really like the fact that the take-up reel fills up with "tape" as the podcast plays (these are iPad screen shots).
efd29d6b.jpg

789d6f64.jpg

I'm downloading it now and I can't wait! Getting new podcasts on my iPhone is always annoying... I usually listen straight from iTunes, but this will hopefully be better :)

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll like this.

When I opened the. Podcast app, it automatically started downloading the PCC 3 podcast.

PinkBudgie said:

hi there - even without this app, you're already able to download podcasts direct to your iOS device, through iTunes. however it's fairly clunky (crashes on me ALL the time, 1st gen iPad), and i don't believe you can add automatic subscription downloads. the actual download speed, of course, depends on your internet connection, but shouldn't be too much different than your computer.

i use RSS radio right now for my podcasts; there's a free and a paid version, and while i like the app a lot, i'm still using the free version as i haven't had an overarching need for more functions yet. i may have to give this new app a whirl, but i'll probably end up sticking with what i already know.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards, please forgive brevity or errors.

Be careful what you enable in the app. I had it set up to automatically download new content as it became available. In about 6 days I used almost 1 Gig of data! I thought it would only download over wifi. The app works ok, I just don't want anybody to get a surprise on their next wireless bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter