New again...

jensen

DIS Veteran
We have booked a holiday trip and are still deciding whether to actually go. Please help me decide.

We used to take our children every winter to Disney. We'd go in January during the low season. The last time we visited was 5 years ago when our children were still tweens. Our oldest is now in college and the other in high school. I'm afraid if we go it will be like our first trip all over again, except crowds 100x worse. We used to do the FS dining, but found we prefered QS because it allowed us more freedom to not be constricted by schedules. We hated the new FP booking because it required we plan parks far ahead and regardless of weather were stuck with those plans. Our last trip was before you could book additional FP - we got three a day and then stood in line. And you couldn't park hop your FP, so we could only get ones for our first park of the day. We like to sleep in and stay until the parks close, then have a very late dinner. We are only park people - we don't really do anything else. We always rented our own car so we could avoid the buses.

The package we have booked is free QS dining with park hopper tickets for 6 days the week before Christmas. We are staying at one of the All Star resorts which is where we always stay. We are very budget conscious.

Here are some concerns which I am looking for advice on:
1) Getting around - now that Disney charges for resort parking, are we better off using Lyft/Uber for a party of 4?
2) When the crowds are really heavy, what else do you do (besides rides) to enjoy the parks?
3) What are your best tips for us based on my description above?

Last edited:
We stay offsite, so we always have a car. Never used Uber/Lyft...even outside of WDW...so can't comment there. We just love having a car, so to us the parking fee would still be worth it.

If you're not getting on rides, you can watch performances/shows, window shop. However, I'd suggest learning the "refresh" method for FP+. You'd be amazed at what you'll get, which will allow you to still ride attractions even during the busiest times.

We're very much like you. Very frugal, park people. We don't do dessert parties, or most of the "extras", just hit the parks. The week before Xmas isn't as crowded as the week from Xmas to NYE, but it's still very crowded. Best tip I have is to be in the holiday spirit and don't try to rush. Enjoy the holiday season, enjoy the decorations, be patient with people, CMs, etc... As I said, use FP+, you may surprise yourself. We've done Xmas twice and absolutely love it. We're going to be right near WDW in late December this year and am very much considering going for a few days. We may even do it last minute.

1) If you don’t need the rental for anything but transportation to and from WDW and around property, I think a great way to save money is using DME and Disney transportation. Since you’re a party of 4 without small children, Uber/lyft is a great option to have in your back pocket especially when traveling between resorts for a meal. Keep in mind only Minnie Vans can drop you directly off at MK, other ride shares can get you to Contemporary and you can walk, or the TTC.

2) When the crowds are heavy we hit up shows, shop, or eat. We also make pretty good use of the FP+ refresh method to ride if it’s busy. Most of the time we just leave at the busiest parts of the day though, but nota great option for you if you arent rope drop people.

3) The refresh method! Our first experience with FP+ was also during the period where it was a hard limit of 3. It sucked. Now when you use your initial 3 you can get one at a time, subject to availability. Also don’t forget that you can get into lines right up until closing, a great way to ride the headliners with lower waits when you don’t do rope drop.

You can park hop with FPs now. Once you've used 1, 2 or 3 in the first park you can pull up MDE and find more in another park.

We travel during busy holiday weeks always. We spend time in shows, people watching, catching Dapper Dans or other characters. Yes, you will wait in some lines, but we don't mind.

We prefer to have a table service meal at least once a day during busy holiday weeks. QS locations can be a zoo and circling around for tables isn't fun.

As for the car question, I dropped our rental reservation for Thanksgiving. There's no need to pay for that on top of a parking fee when the transportation is reliable and Lyft is a tap away.

I agree about considering some of the more affordable TS; they are a very nice break when the parks are crazy. You might even be able to share dinners, just order apps and dessert, etc. at some of the more expensive TS for not much more money than QS. A/C and leisurely dining are a luxury well worth the cost for my family. Ymmv.

I second the "refresh" method. After you use your initial 3 FP's, you can hopefully get a 4th and beyond. Last Christmas we got some incredible FP's last minute or day of because we continued to refresh until something desirable popped up.

I agree with scheduling a TS meal, especially if you will still be in the parks between 11 am-3 pm. The lines for quick service can get very long.

Ride sharing is my favorite option for getting around when I don't have my own car, we are in a rush to get somewhere, or the bus/monorail line is out of control. The cost for getting around pretty good, too.

There are crowds. If everyone in your family acknowledges that there will be lots people, then you have already won half the battle. Set your expectation and give yourself plenty of time to get from point A to point B. You can't control the crowds, but you can control how you respond to it. It's all about mindset.

Last edited:
I won't rent a car at WDW anymore - Magical Express is free and I don't find the slight additional time to be an issue. I use all the Disney transportation and if the lines look bad or if MDE is showing I just missed the resort bus - I'll grab an Lyft or Minnie vs. stress about it. However, I hardly ever have had to. Especially if you sleep later - as you won't fight lines to get to the park in the morning at open.

We prefer QS too - but at busy times skip breakfast and eat lunch as close to 11am as possible. There will be no one in the restaurants yet so it is a quiet break. Or if you find you need a longer sit out of the crazy - see what you can get that day for TS. I've gone with the I'll see what I can get the last few trips and tried some new places and occasionally am surprised at what I can get within the hour because someone cancelled.

Refresh method will let you get tons of FP throughout the day. Check out the YouTube videos posted to see the techniques worked through and it makes more sense.

We also plan all the large load shows for mid-day - Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Movies at Epcot, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, etc. That way you are not fighting lines at the worst of the day and you get a break to get off your feet.

If you are looking at the night shows - this is where I invest money. I will book a dining package for Candlelight Processional, Fantasmic, or any other night show that offers it (and I want to see) on busy weeks. This guarantees entry and eliminates the wait for a little pricier dinner. I just find this is a stress reliever - and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to the dessert parties. . . .

We have booked a holiday trip and are still deciding whether to actually go. Please help me decide.

We used to take our children every winter to Disney. We'd go in January during the low season. The last time we visited was 5 years ago when our children were still tweens. Our oldest is now in college and the other in high school. I'm afraid if we go it will be like our first trip all over again, except crowds 100x worse. We used to do the FS dining, but found we prefered QS because it allowed us more freedom to not be constricted by schedules. We hated the new FP booking because it required we plan parks far ahead and regardless of weather were stuck with those plans. Our last trip was before you could book additional FP - we got three a day and then stood in line. And you couldn't park hop your FP, so we could only get ones for our first park of the day. We like to sleep in and stay until the parks close, then have a very late dinner. We are only park people - we don't really do anything else. We always rented our own car so we could avoid the buses.

The package we have booked is free QS dining with park hopper tickets for 6 days the week before Christmas. We are staying at one of the All Star resorts which is where we always stay. We are very budget conscious.

1) Getting around - now that Disney charges for resort parking, are we better off using Lyft/Uber for a party of 4?
2) When the crowds are really heavy, what else do you do (besides rides) to enjoy the parks?

1. It depends: what rates you get., how you feel about driving, and how often you would opt to drive/use uber.
a.)Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Uber. Tried it a few times, and my experience was less than ideal.
b.)We've used the WDW free transportation many times. It can be great, it can be slow. As your dates get very closer to Christmas/NY, WDW transportation will get very busy.
c.) When we choose the value resorts in particular, we tend to drive more than we do when we stay at say BC/Swan or one of the MK monorail deluxe resorts. Even with hotel park fees, for us, we usually feel a car is still a good value. time=$ at WDW. But it would depend on the rate and all of the above factors.

When we rely on WDW transportation, we know tend to make a few park touring compromises to avoid what I call peak WDW transportation rush hours (arriving for Rope Drop or leaving MK after fireworks). WDW rush hours can = long waits. Leaving just before fireworks = non-rush hour. Zig when the crowd zags.

For us a car also = easily getting bottled water and other snacks. I know there are now grocery delivery options, but in some cases WDW hotels charge confusing package delivery fees. It only takes a minute to stop at a convenience for snacks and water, and I don't have to navigate package fee rules.

2.) One of our favorite holiday activities is touring the hotels to see the décor. A car also = offsite options. Maybe not needed if you have a package and the DDP, but for us, one offsite meal (on way to/from airport) can = a great meal for less $ than eating at WDW. Except maybe the new Blaze Pizza in DS. It will be busy, but the food and prices are very good. If weather is nice, Swimming is fun. One holiday visit, the weather was so nice we visited a water park (using old leftover non-expire "plus" park tickets!) Even though the weather was super, the water park wasn't crowded at all.
b.) Zig when the crowd zags, if possible. To avoid the worst QS crowds for example, avoid QS eating from noon -1pm. It is a vacation and a holiday, so we break the rules a little. At noon, ice cream cart lines are short. Small compromises = valuable zagging.

3. Ah, see all of the above.
a.) Crowds will likely get busier as Xmas draws closer, It might not matter a ton, but if possible, you can probably cover more rides on days that are further from Xmas. As the holidays get closer, maybe shift your touring towards less afternoon park time.

b.)Even though you have the DDP, another way we save a few dollars + time is to bring some (healthy) snacks form home. You can even bring liquids, if you put them in checked luggage. Beware though, liquids are heavy! And even sealed bottles can leak w/air pressure changes. I put liquids in ziploc bags AND check for leaks upon arrival.

c.)I'm a fan of milk in my coffee, which is a bit of a hassle at WDW for some odd reason. If I bring any liquids, then I bring along shelf stable milk boxes. The think the 8ounce size is easiest at WDW for my purposes.

d.)I'm also a fan of items like fruit/granola bars. If we go to WDW over a holiday, we tend to stay out late. Most WDW eateries close by midnight, or have limited menus, or we don't feel like walking to the food court or the time it would take, etc.. If so, granola bars are quick and relatively healthy. They are also another way to tide appetites over until 2pm.

e. ) For a holiday visit on a budget, consider holiday themed cling decals (stick to hotel room mirrors via cling)! No fire hazard, fun, inexpensive.

f.) One of the best places to visit for décor over the holidays is - SUPRISE!- Fort Wilderness! WDW visitors themselves go all out decorating their campsites, and they are great fun. If you've never seen Hoop de Doo, and you are considering it as a holiday splurge, then consider touring the campsites. Fort Wilderness also has some limited area near the boat dock for viewing MK fireworks. It isn't the ideal location, too noisy, but if you are there at fireworks time, it is a potential option to see them for free.

g.) If you have a car....December is FL Honeybell season! Honeybells are, IMO, the best of FL citrus! Orange World, up on Route 192 is a campy, adorable fruit stand, with high quality FL citrus at decent prices. Technically, I've never been to the stand over Christmas, but their website says they sell honeybells. Some FL citrus roadside stands are a bit sketchy, but this one sells quality fruit in my experience (Indian River), and the stand itself is a giant orange! Honeybells will easily keep a week without refrigeration, and citrus is a very classic awesome holiday gift! (Route 192/Irlo Bronson Hwy runs along the Kissimmee border of WDW.) It is 15min from ASMo.

Holy smokes thanks for all of this wonderful feedback! Sometimes we just need other people to give us input to really help calm the nerves. You are making me really excited about visiting during the holiday season. We've been there enough times to know the lay of the land and know what are our must do's. Plus, the kids aren't little anymore, so I don't have to stress over keeping them within site. I think this will be a great vacation allowing us all to have a relaxing visit and see the holiday decor. Thanks so much everyone!

Thanks for that!

Funny though....you should read the jabs I'm getting in the thread about what is and isnt working in the new SW land. (I mostly iked the new land! I just think a few parts could be better.) In a DISboards kinda way the thread is comical.

I have always appreciated your posts. I'm not sure why your question was moved from the strategies section, but I thought you deserved some answers.

I have only been to WDW in December a few times, too $$$, but Easter and other holidays many times. Once upon a time, they weren't so expensive.

Happy holiday visits for us, = a few adjustments. You likely won't get to ride Space Mtn 10 times, but you MIGHT be able to nab a 4th FP for it. On the other hand, the decor is great fun, in the way WDW can sometimes be over-the-top and stunning at the same time. At Easter, WDW chefs make many stunning giant Easter eggs. They are really something to behold! They are displayed in the deluxe hotel lobbies like GF and BC.

Ah, one other t holiday trick....we now make our FP as early as possible..The earlier you search for a 4th FP, the better. Though I suppose that tip is already too late to help. As soon as you check in for any FP, try to modify the rest- make them earlier. If you don't see any earlier, keep refreshing while you are in line. You might not get lucky for the MK Mtns, but sometimes we did.

For 4th fp and beyond, we had great luck getting tier 2 rides in MK: Jungle Cruise Pirates,.Small.World, etc. If you aren't picky, you can get a few hours of one FP after another. If we get any "anytime" FP, we tend to use them at night, when no more FP are available. You get them if a ride is closed during your FP window. If so, you immediately can also book an additional FP. The anytime FP is a bonus.

Mind, we usually try to use all the peripheral hours. Not always exactly RD, but all the late PM hours. Late hours are still great!

Have a great trip, and I am happy to answer more questions.

i love the week before christmas! With the right expectations and mindset going in i had an absolutely wonderful time.
The weather is great, the holiday decor is amazing and seeing it 'snow' in disney makes me a happy camper.

you seem to have a good knowledge of disney and like others have stated really use the refresh FP strategy when you are there. Even if you comes that you are only seeing attractions available that aren't necessarily at the top of your list, getting ride attractions without having to wait (even if it is the seas or Carpets, etc.) can rise some spirits that you are still *doing* things.

see the shows! take a break. your kids are older now but watching indiana jones, muppets or the little mermaid and taking time to sit down is great

my two cents about Uber/Lyft vs rental car. don't get a rental car if you are using it just to get to and from the parks/airport. when disney provides free options and now charges to park, i think their buses are the way to go. If you are like me and are very impatient and will end up calling a lyft every other day because you are standing at your hotel lobby anxiously waiting for the next bus to arrive..it's not the end of the world. it's pretty inexpensive to lyft/uber around WDW which surprised me.

My only thing about those services is if you want to pay a small premium for a minnie van through lyft it may be worth it.
Although i haven't done one yet, my past two trips were spent ubbering around and i think 1/6 drivers actually knew where they were going. There's nothing more frustrating then being in the back seat of your car seeing your driver drive right past your exit and add 15 minutes onto your trip after a long day and you just want to get back to your room. WDW is a confusing place to drive and i am well aware of that but i noticed that most drivers aren't quite sure of where they are going! or i just got unlucky which could've been it too...lol

Recently, the WDW roads have improved considerably from what they once were. If your phone has a GPS, using it can help reduce confusion, especially if you have a co-pilot navigator.

That said, WDW wasn't set up with car services in mind. Drop-off spots, and signage getting to them at the parks are often poorly marked.

HS parking lot entrance/exit are much improved.

1. The busses are free. Are there some times when they are crowded? Yes. However, you said that you are budget conscious. That said, they are free. And with older kids, it's not that bad to stand.
2. Head back to the hotel for a swim or a nap. Or hop busses and look at other hotel lobbies (what we love to do with kids same age as yours). Take a bus to Port Orleans and then the boat to Disney Springs. Drops the pace and it's a fun ride.
3. Since your kids are older, don't eat at "normal" dining times to avoid the mass. Have lunch early (11) and dinner late (7) and carry a snack or two. Carry a filtered water bottle so that you're not plopping $4/bottle on water there. You can ask for refills or use fountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter