• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New (again) to DIS and WDW

Gracie'sMom

Mouseketeer
Well, it took me a couple of days to figure out how to access my old account on here and request a new DIS-generated password (now I need to figure out how to give myself my own password too) but after 5 years away....WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY! :laundy: :cheer2: :scared:

The last time we were there my daughter was 5 and still using a stroller. Now I have a 10-year-old preteen, cheerleader, Princess Merida loving archer!

I feel totally lost in my planning too. We are going this September during the free dining (we have used that before) and are staying at CSR.

If you all don't mind, I will need a quick refresher course. I also need to learn to navigate this site again as I know many of my questions have been answered already if only I knew how to hunt for them. :confused3

First question...how long out can I book table service restaurants?

Second question...we will arrive the day before our park tickets will be valid (no sense in wasting a day on half a day), can we still access the park restaurants for dinner if I make a ressie?

third question...can you still bank you dining credits and exchange the leftover ones for snack credits in the end? (it has always been too much food in the past)

forth question...can the DD10 still order off the child's menu even though she is considered an adult in the eateries? She is still a chicken nugget/mac~n~cheese kind of girl.

bonus question...any new interesting tidbits y'all want to throw my way? We are excited to see the new Fantasyland and i'm already craving the Pineapple floats!

Thanks for any help to a "new-again" mom! :wave2:

You can book restaurants 180 days in advance. If you are going in September, definitely do it ASAP.

I don't think you can make a restaurant reservation in a park unless you are using an admission to the park. Maybe instead you can do Downtown Disney on your half day and eat there? Or perhaps try out the buffet at the Swan- they have character dinners and are not inside Disney. Or make a dinner reservation for a place at a hotel and do some exploring (maybe Whispering Canyon Café for some fun, or a character meal elsewhere)

I don't know anything about the dining plan so I can't help you there.

You should be able to order from the child's menu- maybe you might be charged one adult credit or something on your plan, but I think a 10 year old can order from the menu. Don't quote me- I don't have kids nor do I ever get the dining plan.

I definitely recommend making a plan- everyone here seems to like the Easy WDW plans by Josh, and I like the Touring Plans book- make sure you follow something to reduce wait times. Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback!

Whispering Canyon is actually my backup restaurant! Such a fun place!

The dining plan is the only reason we are going in September! Since it's free with September bookings that is what made the trip fall back down into the "affordable" range for us. :teacher:

I would not even mind if they took an adult credit for a child's meal. Other option is to see if they would be to see if they can't simply "assign" her to the child grouping for meals on her card. It likely won't be an issue though since I do remember most places trying overtime to please the quest when it came to meals.

OK, off to the dining board to see what I can dig up!

Welcome (back)! Yes, she can order from the kids menu. It will usually be a larger portion of the kid-type food if you ask.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

file.php

Welcome back to disboards :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter