Neverland Club - disappointed

WDSearcher said:
. But, basically ... just as Disney isn't going to tell you that you HAVE to do certain rides in a certain order or that you HAVE to meet character such-and-such, they're not going to insist that your kids do other activities if it's clear they don't want to.

:earsboy:

But that may all change with the new XPass system :rofl: sorry couldn't resist

Thanks for sharing. I have literature in my hand that I'll scan tonight which says what I quoted in my earlier post around "program centered around peter pan". I just don't feel that playing mario kart on the wii is a "program structured around peter pan". So not quite as advertised.

So did you not know there were video games there at all?

It sounds to me like you wanted an extended character/theme experience. If the literature you read all made it sound like this was what you were getting, I can understand your frustration.

That said, I would personally not put my kids in something without asking what the routine would be. Will the play games? Will they just have free time the whole time?

I'd cut the kids some slack. They walk around in the parks all day visiting characters and going with their parents' schedule, etc. I have rules for wii at home, but if they were in a babysitting program for 3 hours and played Wii, got fed, and were happy, I would be happy that I got that one-on-one time with dh. In my view, for babysitting, if nothing went wrong and the kids are happy, then everything went right. :)

JUst my opinion. Not bashing you.

VP

But again ... and I don't mean to be naggy ... we don't know that the CMs DIDN'T say / do this. Unless your kids specifically said so.

It IS Disney, and if the CM goes up to your kids and says -- in excited enthusiastic Disney fashion ... "Hey -- put down the Wii, it's activity time!" and the kids resist, at some point the CM is not going to forcibly remove the Wii from their hands and make them take part in something else. Because the kids may just want a night off too, y'know?

Now, of course, some CMs are better with this than others. Some will take a single "no" for an answer and move on. Some will do their darnedest to get that kid into a rousing round of Disney charades or whatever. But, basically ... just as Disney isn't going to tell you that you HAVE to do certain rides in a certain order or that you HAVE to meet character such-and-such, they're not going to insist that your kids do other activities if it's clear they don't want to.

I just don't think it's fair to say that they should be doing "activity time" or whatever, when you don't know if they tried or not. Your kids said that they played Wii for three hours. But it doesn't sound like they were saying, "The only thing to do was Wii".

:earsboy:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. And like any other babysitter, if I don't want them to play the Wii the whole time I will express my wishes to the babysitter AND the kids. I wouldn't expect the sitter to push the issue otherwise because some parents are perfectly fine with letting their kids play or watch movies all evening. I wouldn't expect them to make parenting decisions for me.

I'm a bit confused. I don't have any kids that would go to the Neverland Club (mine is 30 with two kids of his own) but what if Johnny shows up at 7:50 and he only gets 10 minutes on the Wii because that activity ends at 8:00? But Susie has been there since 7:30 so she gets a half hour? Or Johnny is sitting there doing an activity at 9:17 when his parents show up to collect him and he can't finish it?

Planned activities work very well when ALL kids get there at the same time and leave at the same time. Side note - that doesn't include all day day care because those places tend to give the kids free roam after a certain time and then the kids do what they want until the parents come to get them.

Still trying to wrap my head around why the OP was upset her kids had a good time.

The op is sad because it isn't what it was when she went even though the literature makes it sound like it possibly could have been. At least that is my read.

We put our kids in the club once a few years ago. Frankly, as long as they were safr, I didn't care what they did. It's vacation. Also, I don't believe it's the CMs job to parent my kid (short of any dangerous activity). It's not their job to police a child's video game usage.

I find it very expensive for what it is - a basic babysitting service. I have nothing against such a service, but if I'm paying 11.50$ an hour per child (I have three), I usually would expect some kind of structured activity for that price. :confused3

I'm curious to know what people pay babysitters these days! $65 for 2 kids for a night sounds only slightly above average to me!

VP

I pay a 20 year old girl 10 $/hour and she serves dinner, gives baths and tuck in my three kids (ages 4, 6, 8). Usually, she is here from 6 to 11 p.m. when we go out. Kids go to bed at 8:00 p.m. So about 50 $ in average.

During the summer, the kids go to daycare. We pay 240 $ a week for 3 kids. They go to a private in-home daycare with basic activities (crafts, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, park visits, water games, etc.) and lunch. No video games, lol. :rotfl2: They go from 8:00 to 3:00, Monday-Thursday. That's 20 $ a day per child.

We live in Quebec and actually also have a universal daycare program but not many places available. It's 7 $ a day, lunch and snacks included. Since we don't have a place in the system, we get income tax credits, so at the end of the year, we pay about 8-10$ a day for daycare.

So that's maybe why I find NC expensive. :confused3 Sorry to highjack the thread.

I've never needed to use a babysitter for my 3 yo, I have Nana :rotfl2: !

But in comparison, he is in day camp this summer from 9-3 for $135 a week (we have a membership there because it is a community center/gym/preschool so I get a little bit of a discount-about $15 vs someone who doesn't have a membership). That is $27 A DAY for directed care, for someone who WATCHES my child, keeps him safe, and doesn't plop him in front of a tv. They even take them swimming 4 days a week in the pool! Plus I pay $30 a week extra for 2 half hour swimming lessons while in camp, that is $15 per lesson! Comparing that to $11.50 an hour at Disney....yeh I would think they could keep a child "safe" to have adult time during a FAMILY vacation for MUCH cheaper than $11.50 a hour per kid if videos and video games are part of the deal! Just MHO though!

If you use the service again, could you say "we only permit Johnny to play video games for 30 minutes a day. Could you please enforce that limit?" I would imagine they would agree to that and you could rest assured that they would not be glued to a screen the whole time.

I've never needed to use a babysitter for my 3 yo, I have Nana :rotfl2: !

But in comparison, he is in day camp this summer from 9-3 for $135 a week (we have a membership there because it is a community center/gym/preschool so I get a little bit of a discount-about $15 vs someone who doesn't have a membership). That is $27 A DAY for directed care, for someone who WATCHES my child, keeps him safe, and doesn't plop him in front of a tv. They even take them swimming 4 days a week in the pool! Plus I pay $30 a week extra for 2 half hour swimming lessons while in camp, that is $15 per lesson! Comparing that to $11.50 an hour at Disney....yeh I would think they could keep a child "safe" to have adult time during a FAMILY vacation for MUCH cheaper than $11.50 a hour per kid if videos and video games are part of the deal! Just MHO though!

We got back from our trip a couple weeks ago (right before the rains came thank goodness....sorry to those that were soaked) and I forgot to post this one. It was probably our only big disappointment.

We placed our three kids in the neverland club and had one "date-night" the week we were there.

I was in the Neverland club as a child and have fond memories of character visits, fun activities, etc.

When we picked our kids up I learned they played the Wii virtually the entire three hours they were there.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in this. For $11.50/hour per child, I thought they could do more "magical" things with them than put them in front of a video game. Even if that's what my kids wanted to do (I am certainl most kids would not argue lol) shouldn't it be a fall-back? I don't know, it just left me a bit flat. Thanks for listening.

This is my fear for our upcoming trip. My four year LOVES wii and seems to get addicted to it. We actually disconnected the wii in our house.

The kids are going to the Sandcastle club so we can go on date night. Do you think if I tell them to limit his wii time, they will do so?

For the price I would expect more, as well. Three hours of video games is excessive and 11.50 a child an hour should include more structure. While it sounds like it was safe, and fun and by no means an OMG moment, I too would expect more. I would not rehire any nanny or babysitter that spent three hours on video games with my kid...

We are using Simbas Cubhouse in Aug and honestly, Ods is thrilled that he will get to play video games that are different then he can play at home. We have 9 days of walking, swiming, rides, even the YES class so learning too so a few hours to relax, watch movies and play video games will be needed and deserved for my kids. I also know, my ds would mention they played video games even if they played other things too because that would be the shining moment. So is it possible the kids did something else, stopped for dinner/snacks, CM chatted and played a bit? But the kids enjoyed the video games so much that is all they want to share?
For me, I am using it for a safe place for the kids, that they will enjoy what they want to do, while DH and I get a few minutes alone. Ill save the magical moments for when they are with Us!

Thanks! Your post made me feel better. I am off the ledge. I always feel bad ever suggesting anything but positives out here. I suppose it's not the board for me and I should probably just retire from it. But thanks for the response.

I appreciate hearing the not so "DISNEY" things that people post. There will always be some to comment about what you wrote however, I for one like to learn from others mistakes or at least have the opportunity to see how others rated certain "experiences" and then make an be able to make a choice of whether or not I would participate in that particular experience in the future. If you didnt have any negative feedback then this board would not be what it is today.. which is a place for people to come to learn about what their trip may or may not entail. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter