Never used DDP because...

steves100

DIS Veteran
Didnt want to pay for 1st and last day of reservations.

If I setup my reservations 1 for first night and then then 5 nights then 1 night. Is there any down side to this?

I know I wont be able to make reservations at the first 180 day.

Thanks

DDP is based on the number of nights you stay. Not the number of days.

Stay 7 nights and you will get credits based on 7 nights, not on 8 days. So if you figure out a way to use those credits over 5 or 6 days (maybe throw in a 2 credit restaurant or two), you won't have to make three separate resort bookings. It can be something of a pain to have three separate resort bookings.

The number of credits you get is not necessarily connected to the number of dining reservations you'd need to make. Just make a plan that uses all your credits.

Problem is the first night. Come in too late to use it. Dont want to use a double credit location (dont think its worth it)

Well, then you really don't have any other option than to add in an extra TS breakfast/lunch or two, maybe use QS credits for breakfasts, or to have two or three separate room reservations. Just so you know, you will have to check out and check back in for each reservation. You can request to stay in the same room but you are not guaranteed to be able to do so.

The way the dining plan is set up you are not required to use one of each type of credit per day, you can mix them up if you want to. But that's up to you.

If I setup my reservations 1 for first night and then then 5 nights then 1 night. Is there any down side to this?

Thanks
Will you want to eat on your arrival day or departure day? If you are getting in too late to eat on your arrival day, then skip that day and start the DDP on the next day. If you're going to be there in time to eat on your arrival day but not on your departure day, then skip the last night. Your credits are good until midnight on your checkout day so you'll still have them for your last full day.

Thanks
Generally speaking, if you book like that to avoid paying for the extra days of dining, you're going to need to change rooms.

I'm not quite following your issue, but you can use those credits other days. The DDP only provides 2 meals a day (1 quick service, 1 table service), and some people will use snack credits for a light breakfast to make up the other meal. We actually like to eat 3 meals a day, so things like credits from the first and last day help us round out the number of credits we need to eat the whole trip.

the OP's issue is that he doesn't want to have the dining plan for the full stay. If he knows that they can use the credits in any combination and on whatever day they wish, and still doesn't want that number of credits, he has no option other than to book separate reservations.

I'm confused????

All your credits are pooled together as in 4 nights would get you 4 quick counter meals, 4 snacks and 4 table service on the regular dinning plan.

The credits can be used on any day from check in to midnight of check out day.

If you wanted you could order 4 huge cupcakes as your 4 snack credits and eat them all at once. Or instead of using just a 1 credit table service you could try a 2 credit service.

Or you could do what a lot of us do and buy discount gift cards to use as our prepaid dinning plan.

You could also use that extra TS for breakfast or lunch. Just crunch the numbers because you may just do better paying OOP.

Thanks

As stated the downside is that you would need to check out and check back in for each reservation, and may need to pack, move and unpack multiple times. You would have mugs for only part of the trip (may not matter)

You can still make your ADR at the 180 day mark for up to 10 days, as you still have a resort reservation.

As stated the downside is that you would need to check out and check back in for each reservation, and may need to pack, move and unpack multiple times. You would have mugs for only part of the trip (may not matter)

You can still make your ADR at the 180 day mark for up to 10 days, as you still have a resort reservation.
It certainly is possible that the OP may have to pack up and move, but I don't think it's likely. I had a single night stay followed by a multiple night stay at WL and they had no problem blocking my same room for me. I *did* have to check back in.

It certainly is possible that the OP may have to pack up and move, but I don't think it's likely. I had a single night stay followed by a multiple night stay at WL and they had no problem blocking my same room for me. I *did* have to check back in.
The rules of the dining plan is that you have to purchase it for your entire stay. If you change rooms, then it's a separate "stay," but if you just book the same room, same party to get around the requirement, you will likely have to change rooms. With DVC, they'll actually cancel the dining plan and refund (without telling you) and combine the reservations.

not worth the hassle, IMHO

Branch out, there are some amazing restaurants out there in Signature Dining

OR - have 2 1C meals in a day. Valuable time will be spent futzing around with check in and check out, even if you are not required to move.

Agreed, I have never had to move when I had back to back reservations for the same category room in the same resort, but it is "possible".

you might not have to move, but with 3 reservations the odds may be a little higher that you may have to move on one of them.

You do not want a signature meal? Really? You'll do 1cr but not 2cr?

Go try Narcosseess or Yachtsman. You'll change your mind.
I have eaten at Yachtman, not that big a deal....
My wife doesnt eat steak.

Not sure what the confusion is for some people. I dont want to use DDP the whole trip, maybe 5 nights out of 7. Staying at DVC w full kitchen lets us save a little.

Confusion is that what you are thinking of doing is a bit of a pain, seeing as you have to check in again twice. I'd just drop the DDP entirely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter