Never stayed on-site before

major

Mouseketeer
Hi,:)
This will be our 5th visit to Orlando and we have never stayed on-site at Disney. We have stayed at Gaylord Palms,Hilton DTD, Omni Championsgate, a villa, on-site at universal & at various hotels on I-drive.
My question is considering we have never stayed on-site and that we are going with my DD 17 and her friend 18 is it worth staying on-site??? (considering their ages) If it is,where would you recommend us to stay (value or moderate price range).

I'm staying on-site this fall for the first time in years. I'm bringin my 4 yo niece for her first visit. Since its just the 2 of us I thought on-site would be easier and since we're only going to be there for 4 days I won't have to rent a car.

With more than 2-3 people I like to rent a house or condo as I really like having all the extra room. The idea of cramming 4 adults into one room with one bathroom just doesn't appeal to me.

When our DD brought a friend we stayed on-site. It was easier for them to come and go on their own that way. Hubby hates the value resorts but everyone in my family liked Port Orleans Riverside.

Have fun!

Jennifer

Renting a house is always our first option but 2 years ago, we decided to go back to tryng on-site once again - we used to stay on-site every year when I was younger with no kids. IMHO the value resorts are too big and crowded - my first choice moderate resort is PO French Quarter. It's smaller and the themed pool is great and it is nice to be on the waterway to Downtown Disney. Riverside is nice also but bigger so you might be quite a walk from the main building and there are 4 bus stops at that resort. If I were you, I'd rent a house for those teenagers (one with a games room) but if you are set on a hotel - stay on-site with the MYW plan - dining included - that's the best value and an amazing all inclusive vacation!

We actually rent vacation homes just a few miles outside of Disney. There are alot of advantages to renting a home. For us it's the space issue. Last May there were 6 of us (Me,DH,DD9,DD2,DMum&BFF) and this year it's the same exact group minus my mum. We love the fact that outside of me and hubby sharing our room with our 2yr old everyone else had their own room; even the walk-in closet was so huge in our room we just put the baby's pack and play in there and that's where she slept. Full kitchen for those mornings when we made our own breakfast before heading to the park for the day, laundry room-loved not having to pay to use coin machine, 3 full size bathrooms, two car garage and screened in private pool. This year we've rented a home with the same basic layout as last year's with the addition of a spa in the back along with the pool. All of this for less than the price of a Disney value. Just like Disney the rental prices do depend on what time of year your planning to visit and how large of a home you're looking to rent. For us it was just soooo worth it. BTW, we're going May4-12. With the money we saved in renting a home and spliting the cost with my Dmum and DBFF I was able to hit some of the designer outlet stores up and down central Florida.

However, last year after our family vacation in May the husband and I had a anniversary getaway without our girls for 4nights/5days and we did stay on property. I've always wanted to stay on property since as far back as I can remember but for many reasons have always stayed off-site. However since it was just the two of us and it was in September so that meant great deals for staying on property my husband and I stayed at Cornado Springs. We loved the fact that from the moment we stepped off of the plane we didn't have to worry about renting a car or worring about parking since we would using Disney free transportation. The hotel room itself was nice but at times it felt like it was just enough room for the two of us. I know Disney offers larger accomodations for larger families but those come with a heavty price tag. So while the room was nice I would probably not recommend sharing one room with your spouse, and two teenaged girls and getting joining rooms is something you can request but aren't garanteed once you check in. Would I recommend staying on property? sure why not??? I think everybody should have the chance atleast once, however I would suggest doing your homework as far as finding the best room/villa that will suit your family. If you can afford it I say try one of the villa's or one of the cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness they offer more space to move around. There are some definate perks to staying on property that make you feel like a mini celebrity. I know I did when my husband and I went and who knows maybe sometime in the furture we'll get the chance to go back and stay on-site with our girls; I'd like that. But for now the best choice for us is to rent a home and to tell you the truth some of these homes are way better than quiet a few resorts on Disney's property. But if you're going for that magical expereince that comes with staying on property then go for it!

Ya only live once.

We've taken our DD and her friend when they were in the same age bracket that you're talking about. We just wouldn't have wanted to try to share one room (and one bathroom).

We had no problems at all and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We've since taken DD's fiance with us (condo that time), and again had a great time.

Honestly, I don't want to stay in just one room with my own family! :rotfl2:

Hi:)
Thanks for the replies so far. We are splitting our stay between Disney/universal & I-drive (my DD fav location is I-drive) Our plan is to stay at Disney or a DTD hotel (depending on the advice I get:thumbsup2 ) for 3 days.
We stayed in a villa last year and although the villa was gorgeous we don't drive on holiday (went with another family last year who did all the driving) & found it a pain needing a car to go anywhere (IMO)-so a villa is out.

Hi:)
Thanks for the replies so far. We are splitting our stay between Disney/universal & I-drive (my DD fav location is I-drive) Our plan is to stay at Disney or a DTD hotel (depending on the advice I get:thumbsup2 ) for 3 days.
We stayed in a villa last year and although the villa was gorgeous we don't drive on holiday (went with another family last year who did all the driving) & found it a pain needing a car to go anywhere (IMO)-so a villa is out.

I'm not sure whether this will help, but there are several hotels on I-Drive that have free transportation to Disney. I stayed at Staybridge Suites on I-Drive a couple of weeks ago on business and was very pleased with it. I had a 2BR/2BA suite, and it came with a complimentary hot breakfast. It's also close to US/IOA (not sure about transportation though).

Given the choice of a DTD hotel on on-site - GO ON-SITE! Let's face it....you're in the magic! Everything from the Mickey shaped waffles in the morning for breakfast to the mickey soaps and shampoos - heck your wake-up call is from Stitch! I think 3 days would be fun at an on-site and I would stay at French quarter for the reasons I stated above - smaller, great themeing, a lovely boat ride that takes you to DTD.

Riverside is also very nice and it has the boat and bike rentals but you can take the ferry to it or even walk to it from the FQ. If you can swing it, do the MYW for the 3 days - the meals you can have are AMAZING! Our favourites were Cap'n Jacks at DTD (steak and lobster) and 1900 Park Fare for dinner (buffet with Cinderella). It is totally worth the money!

Hope that helps!

If you are not driving, it is well well worth staying on site. Even the DTD resorts have transportation that is only "barely tolerable." And, for a shorter trip, the extra cost is less significant.

I would stay onsite. I have stayed both on and offsite and prefer being onsite. Not only are your "in the magic" you are offered other perks such as transportation and early entry or later evenings in the parks. With that being said, I really don't like the Value resorts, and my DH hates them. We stayed at Pop a couple of years ago and it is just too big with too many people milling about. We have stayed at Caribbean Beach and Corondo Springs and like both of those very much. I'm sure PO is also very nice. We almost stayed there on our upcoming trip but opted to splurge on the Poly.

Either way have a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter