Never stayed on-site before

major

Mouseketeer
Hi,:)
This will be our 5th visit to Orlando and we have never stayed on-site at Disney. We have stayed at Gaylord Palms,Hilton DTD, Omni Championsgate, a villa, on-site at universal & at various hotels on I-drive.
My question is considering we have never stayed on-site and that we are going with my DD 17 and her friend 18 is it worth staying on-site??? (considering their ages) If it is,where would you recommend us to stay (value or moderate price range).

I would think it would be especially worth it to you. You could let the 2 girls go off on their own a bit, using Disney transportation, and know that they'll be able to get back to the resort. Or you can let them sleep in once in a while, and they'll be able to meet you later at a set place and time. That Disney transportation is a huge bonus.

(edited to add: also convenient: Disney's Magical Express, which will wisk you and your luggage to your resort. It's free for onsite people.)

I haven't been there in a zillion years, so I'll leave the particulars to someone else. But take a look at the pool at Port Orleans Riverside.

Take a look at the fact sheets here: http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_hot.htm
They'll give you an overview of each resort and a slide show.

I truly think staying on site is the best way to go! I personally do not consider it a Disney trip unless we stay on site, and we live very close! Alice made several great points. You may want to consider the Dolphin hotel, it is not Disney owned but is onsite (right next to the Y&BC and a lovely walk to Epcot and MGM, these parks I would think your teens would like the best.) You can find into at that same site Alice posted the link for. You can see by my signature, I have stayed many places on site. I really like being close to "something" so that i do not have to take buses if i can help it. Not that there is anything wrong with buses, but staying in the Epcot area gives you easy access to the Y&BC, Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk area, MGM and Epcot. I would think this would be perfect for teens.

have a great trip! I hope we are still enjoying Disney trips with our DD when she is that age.

Staying onsite is so convienient. We never use our car once we park when we get there until we leave for home. Try it once and you'll want to stay onsite everytime.

I would never stay offsite. I think your dd will love the convience of being right there. They are able to get around much easier and no transportation is needed since you'll have disneys. We never move our car once we get to our resort and love it! Very convienant.

I love staying onsite at Disney because I know exactly what I am getting. I know I will have a nice clean resort with good customer service, a very efficient transportation system, and good decent dining options. And you know you will get these things whether you are staying at a Value, Moderate, Deluxe, or DVC property.

I fly in and don't rent a car. I don't need one.

:love: Disney!

It seems that the trip is so much less hastle being on site. You don't have to worry about driving if you don't want to or where to eat! Also, at your daughter's age they will like those nights when the parks stay open late for only people who stay on site. Also, there are mornings when you can get into the parks before anyone who's staying offsite which is great for those rides that have long lines! We get in early to get a Fast Pass as a ride like Soarin and then go on others so we don't wait in lines! :banana: We were down there for 2 weeks and stayed at Pop Century and had a great time. The room was always clean and done wher we came back. We've stayed at POR and also enjoyed it.:dance3:

Another vote for staying onsite. Our first two trips to the World (in the 80's) were offsite and once we started staying onsite we'll never go back. I agree with the above posters. It's a much nicer experience and has all the extras mentioned above. We love the moderates. POR is lovely and has a few more transportation advantages (boat option ) but I happen to love the tropical atmosphere at CBR. Good luck with your decision!

Well, with a 17 year old and an 18 year old, are they going to be doing the exact same things you are going to be doing the entire time? I would think they have their own ideas of what they want to do themselves. If you stay onsite, you can do several plans. One for "together" things. One for when the girls have time to themselves. And even better - one for when you have time alone! With "kids" that age, I woudl think that both you and them would want some time away from each other.

You can put charging priviledges on their room keys so they can tour without having large amounts of cash on them.

Since your daughter is 17, she will be free in the room. You will have to pay for the 18 year old as an extra adult.

I think you all will be happier staying onsite. You've never really experienced the freedoms that will allow you.

Staying onsite is definitely worth it! I think the mods are great. I have stayed at CBR, POR & POFQ and like each one. I would let your daughter choose the resort! Then she'll be that much more excited. Show her the pictures on-line in the category you want and let her decide.

I'm weighing in with yet another vote for staying on site. The teenagers (and you) will love the flexibility the bus system will give you. Just make sure they have their cell phones with them and away they go!
Good call on the Dolphin option: walk to Epcot and MGM and the Boardwalk for evening dining / entertainment options. Coranado would also be a good location.

Sorry if this is a duplicate. But the very best part of staying onsite (IMHO) is the extra late magic hours in the parks for resort guests!

If you and hubby are pooped, the girls can head back to the disignated park that evening (if you odn't have hoppers, be sure to go to the park that day that has the late hours that night otherwise you would use 2 admission tickets to switch parks) and enjoy the late hours. The crowds are light and the sun is down = FUN!

Of course there are extra early magic hours but I don't know any teen girls that are likely to spring out of bed at 6:00am to get to the parks early.

I would suggest staying at Port Orleans Riverside and see if you can get a room with the trundle bed for a little more comfort. Plus at POR you can use the boat to go to DT Disney which is fun.

Thanks for the replies .keep them coming. :thumbsup2 :) :thumbsup2 :) :thumbsup2
My other idea was to stay at a Downtown disney area Hotel... or do you think onsite would be better????

We stayed in one of the resorts near Downtown Disney, and frankly, to me they are the same as staying off site..in any hotel. It was not particulary Disney themed. While the proximity to the marketplace was good, so are many of the "on site" resorts. the Port Orleans (which is a moderate resort) has boat transportation directly to Downtown Disney/Marketplace area and bus transportation to the parks.
I have kids that are 16, 20 and my older son is 27. We've been going to Disney since the youngest was but 6 weeks old. Once we stayed on site, we haven't had any desire to stay off site. The resorts are so lovely, they are a huge part of our vacation. We make sure to schedule some time to just enjoy the amenities that the resorts offer. Naturally my kids are all of ages to go off on their own, and they often do. The nice part of staying on site is that we can all meet up easily. If my husband and I want to shop on Main Street in the MK..and the younger two want to hang out by the pool(and the older one at the pool bar!)..it's fine. They can meet us later for dinner in the MK..since we usually stay at the WL it's just a water launch away from the resort. The moderates offer bus transportation directly to the entry of each of the parks. Having the "kids" go off on their own is far less concerning when staying on site.

On site definitely! I second the Swan/Dolphin idea. Great location with Disney transportation and it's a deluxe for usually a moderate price, especially if you qualify for their discounts for nurses teachers or government employees.:thumbsup2

Stay onsite. It's worth it. Magical Express, Disney transportation, all of the Disney dining options, Extra Magic Hours, and beautiful, themed resorts. You're completely immersed in the magic as opposed to just visiting it for a few hours a day.

The only reason I would ever consider staying offsite I guess would be if I were planning to do other Orlando attractions. Otherwise, it simply doesn't make sense to me to stay offsite. I don't even understand how you would save that much money staying offiste because you would have to rent a car and pay to park and all that.

I am a Disney snob though. I don't consider it a Disney vacation unless I am fully immersed in Disney. Value resorts are somewhere between 82-99 dollars and if you stay offsite...how much cheaper is it really?

We have to stay in a moderate because we are a family of 5 and we usually pay 149 a night but it is still worth it to us to BE there totally involved. I would feel "left out" or something if I stayed off site.

Thanks for all the replies...Looks like our next holiday will include some time on-site.Thanks for all your help :thumbsup2 :) :thumbsup2

something to think about. on site deluxe is going to run you alot more money than what you are used to paying. remember you are staying on site for location, location, location. I can see in your post that you are used to very nice digs, me too. You will not find that at a value. themeing is everywhere but values and moderates have standard rooms with double beds and exterior corridors. just a heads up in that department. I still think it is worth it. keep asking questions, you will find 100's of opinions here. be specific with what you want to know.

Yes, I would recommend staying on site. The convenience is worth it . Also, since you have older children they can easily go off on there own. I have never stayed at the All Star suites, but from the pictures they look really nice, or maybe 2 adjoining rooms at the All Stars. If you can afford it, go for it and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter