Never realised there was such a Gay Days schedule at Disney?

Samaya

DIS Veteran
As normal every morning around 9.30 the DisBoard UK forum is down for maintenance with the page showing 'Request Time-out', so this morning I searched to see what other sites-forums were live and stumbled on an excellent article by Pete Werner a DIS Founder/Webmaster, it was titled 'Disney Gay Days at Walt Disney World, May 28 - June 3, 2013.

I had heard-read about such a day a long time ago, but I never realised it had grown to such an event and to what Mr Werner has described in his article, anyway, anyone interested or is visiting over this period might want to check out his article at http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-gay-days.htm

The Gay Days schedule for 2013:
Thu, May 30 - Animal Kingdom
Fri, May 31 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
Sat, June 1 - Magic Kingdom
Sun, June 2 - Epcot

They are very popular now but rarely get a mention on the UK forums.

we happened to be unaware of Gay Day's at WDW when we first went to Florida and we was in MK on the day. Now tbh it didn't bother me in the slightest but we didn't have kids with us but there were many families there that were def not happy. One family from Texas I was talking to were horrified by some of the displays and left the park rather rapidly. As Pete Werner said 'some times you did think Get a Room!' so yes if you aren't ready for the questions of young ones I would say avoid the parks suggested on the certain days.:) We had a great day and it made no difference to us.

I was aware they were around June and very popular. I know sometimes people moan and then some say theyre too ott but for every person that moans theres someone that says theyre ok.
I perhaps would try to skip the parks on the days but it wouldnt bother me at all.
However I would feel very sorry for someone who went and didnt know about them.

so yes if you aren't ready for the questions of young ones I would say avoid the parks suggested on the certain days.

'The questions of young ones'? I don't really see why a parent would want to avoid telling their child that some people are gay and have same-sex relationships.

I perhaps would try to skip the parks on the days but it wouldnt bother me at all. :goodvibes

Why would you try to skip the parks? :confused3

We have been in Disney whilst Gay Days has been going on twice now,and TBH i saw two occasions when we all noticed it was in-fact Gay Days, first time we were sat in the preferred viewing area for Wishes and there was a couple next to us holding hands and doing a little kissing, but it was only something that a straight couple would do at such a romantic moment, and also our children who were 11 and 9 at the time didn't particularly care.The other time was at the bus stop at the Yacht Club,we saw a group of about 10 men all dressed up in tight red t shirts and hot pants, it was one of the most funniest things I've ever seen:lmao:

'The questions of young ones'? I don't really see why a parent would want to avoid telling their child that some people are gay and have same-sex relationships.
Quite

Why would you try to skip the parks? :confused3

MK can be busier during Gay Days.

I think in the beginning "gay days" were very much word of mouth events but they've become almost an official thing now. I have never been during that period of time, but I would think it would make for much bigger crowds which would be the only negative side to it.

you read into my post and another persons post what you wanted to read.
Quoting parts of a sentence will not show the full story and you know nothing of a persons life.
pleae stick to posting about your own opinions and if you have a problem with others post, report the post to the moderators who will deal with the situation. :thumbsup2

you read into my post and another persons post what you wanted to read.
Quoting parts of a sentence will not show the full story and you know nothing of a persons life.
pleae stick to posting about your own opinions and if you have a problem with others post, report the post to the moderators who will deal with the situation. :thumbsup2

I'm not trying to be personal, I'm simply remarking that your comments could be taken in a completely different way than you intended and could possibly offend.

For the record, I think that 'Gay Days' perpetuate the notion that gay people are different than everyone else and I don't see the need for them at all. :confused3

Did I actually say that it was about that? NO I didn't..
this is why...as quoted by Pete Werner!

I’ve watched over the years as Gay Days has grown in scope and size. What once was a small group of well-meaning gay men and lesbians has grown – and in my opinion, deformed – into what is now nothing more than a vile spectacle of self indulgence and indecency.

It may have been a good idea to make that clear in your original post, as your comments could easily be inferred in a completely different way. :thumbsup2

Oh please! leave this type of analysis and comment for facebook and twitter, this forum is about Disney/Orlando, its up individuals whether they want to go on any given day or event etc.

For the record, I think that 'Gay Days' perpetuate the notion that gay people are different than everyone else and I don't see the need for them at all. :confused3

I completely agree! I agree with this in the same way as I feel about other institutions which discriminate in their title everyone else! I have no problem with any couple/ groups of people in the park enjoying themselves. I feel uncomfortable with ott pda's from anyone in front of me as I get very embarrassed, but it's mostly a free world! :thumbsup2

Same here! :rotfl:

My sister is on her final day at Disney today, staying at Bay Lake and saw a very very intimate part of a couples relationship happening on the balcony as they were minding their own business watching the fireworks! :rolleyes1 (I cannot find a pic for dies with embarrassment!) :rotfl:

My kids have grown up around same-sex relationships so wouldn't be phased by 'Gay Days'. Like others, I don't want to see OTT PDA's from ANY couple -:rotfl: eeewwww.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter