Never flown before!! Need packing advice, please...

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by photos_101, Mar 28, 2013.

1. photos_101

photos_101 Mouseketeer

I have never flown before and it has been years since DH has. I need some advice and tips on packing!
    Basically, I need your tips on what to take in my carry-on and what to put in checked bags. We will be flying out at 8:30am, arriving at Orlando at about noon. Going straight to POP to check in and then off to the parks! Since we have always had our car and could just leave bags in the trunk, thus at least had them accessible as soon as we arrived at the resort, I am a little lost as what to keep with me during the flight/arrival.
    So please give me your tips on what to keep in my carry-on so that it will be with me upon arrival at the resort/parks.

I don't want to be stuck buying over priced necessities at the giftshops that I 'should' have just had in my carry on. ;) That would be an unnecessary budget buster!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rachelmarisa

rachelmarisa chase the morning, yield for nothing

There are many youtube videos with effective ways to pack carryons, and the TSA's official website has all the rules you must abide by. I believe the liquids rule is all liquids in a carryon must be in 3oz bottles in a 1 quart sized bag. This is especially tricky for women and all our beauty products :lmao:
    Drug stores, dollar stores, and grocery stores usually have the small bottles you can buy for travel use.

Other than that, I recommend you bring your own snacks and an empty water bottle you can fill up from a fountain. Opened drinks usually must be dumped at security. I also always wear comfortable shoes and a jacket because you never know how you'll feel on the plane. Don't forget gum or something chewy to pop your ears, drink plenty of water, and bring a book or other media.

Have fun! :thumbsup2

4. ZephyrHawk

ZephyrHawk Confirmed Disneyphile

I agree about making sure you abide by the TSA restrictions. Here are some other suggestions for carry-ons:

Any money or jewelry you will be bringing
    Set of pajamas or a sleeping outfit
    One basic change of clothes
    Bathing suit
    Cameras
    Prescriptions
    Extra glasses or contacts
    All tickets/reservation information
    Comfortable shoes (if you're not already wearing them on the plane)
    Laptops or other electronic devices
    Stuff to entertain yourself during the flight
    Snacks (drinks can be obtained in flight)

Basically, put in your carry-on whatever you would need to survive for 1-2 days while lost luggage is being located.

5. kellydizfan

kellydizfan DIS Veteran

4 oz's or less and in a quart size zip lock baggie. Roll your clothes in your suitcase, put socks in shoes, other small items in shoes in the suitcase. Pack anything of value in your carryon other than liquid or sharp items. Remember to pack your souvenirs in carryon going home. Don't pack in checked luggage or you wont have them when you get home. Remember bag must be small enough to fit under seat in front of you or up top. Weight is a big factor in your checked luggage also.

6. DisneyMagic3

DisneyMagic3 Earning My Ears

Are you suggesting souvenirs would be stollen from checked luggage?

7. AuroraRora

AuroraRora Princess

Wear shoes that you can get on and off somewhat easily! There's nothing worse than being that person holding up the line while you untie complicated boots while everyone glares at you, and putting them back on while you're hopping around trying to grab your luggage isn't much fun either (been there, done that!). Don't forget to take your laptop out your bag, if you take one - they have to go in a tray all on their own. Ipads etc are fine. Always have clearly-written luggage tags on your cases, and you can lock them but be aware the TSA may well cut the locks off.

Don't stress about it :) As long as you don't have anything sharp in your carry-on, or liquids over 3oz, you're generally good. Everything else is easily handled.

8. squirrel

squirrel DIS Veteran<font color=deeppink>

Pack some sunscreen in your carry on. I buy the Hawaiian Tropics with the mini bottle attached to the larger bottle. Keep the small one in the backpack and put the large one in the checked luggage.

Sunscreen is expensive at WDW.

9. kellydizfan

kellydizfan DIS Veteran

Yes we have had it happen. Not Disney stuff - stuff we bought while we were in Montana. I don't pack anything of any worth other than clothes in my luggage, hair dryer, curling iron - stuff I can easily replace without much thought.

10. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

This is incorrect its 3oz or less. Anything liquid in a carry on bag must be in a container that is 3oz or less otherwise TSA will throw it away.

Each person is allowed 1 of the 1 quart ziplock bags to put their liquids in that are in container that are 3 oz or less.

Don't assume because your 6 oz bottle is less than half full or there is only a little bit let that you can take it in your carry on. THe bottles actual size has to be 3oz. or less

*** Its a good idea to pack a couple outfits in your husband luggage and a few of his outfits in your luggage just in case a piece of luggage gets lost.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc <font color=royalblue>We had a wonderful time, but

My favorite packing tip:
    Make sure that each of you places one entire outfit, from the skin out, into the other's suitcase. That way, in the unlikely event that one of the suitcases gets lost for a while, you have an entire's day worth of clothes. (Nope, it's never happened to anyone in my family. It did happen to a high school student on a trip to London I chaperoned on time though, and I learned my lesson.)

As to carryon/ suitcase, assume that your suitcase won't arrive until bedtime. So I would include a bathing suit. I wear Teve Mush flipflops down (so much easier at the airport) but I wear them at WDW all the time, so no need for sneakers.

I pack:
    - a sweatshirt for the plane
    - a bathing suit
    - a book
    - a sample size sunscreen

And that's pretty much it. We fly Jetblue, so we get snacks on the plane. My carryon is pretty empty, so it's less to schlepp around.

12. amylevan

amylevan DIS Veteran

I assume you are using ME, so you won't have your luggage right away. So whatever you usually take to the parks needs to go in your carryon - although keep in mind the liquids rule, it will apply to your sunscreen. And if you will need to change clothes before the parks (i.e. coming from somewhere cold) pack those in carryon as well. I usually layer so that I don't need to fit as much, but I usually need a pair of shorts for everyone.

Medicines should go in carryon. Also anything that cannot be replaced (jewelry...).

I know lots of people pack pajamas and an entire outfit in their carryon in the event of lost luggage. We don't. There just isn't enough room in our carryons for airplane entertainment and snacks, park stuff, plus outfits. In the event it ever happens to us, we'll have to buy an outfit or 2 until the luggage is located. It's not like we're heading somewhere where there isn't access to a walmart in an emergency.

As mentioned, wear easy on/off shoes.

You didn't mention if you have kids, but they will need to go through security as well (out of their stroller). Everything: strollers, bags, jackets, etc will need to go through the machines.

13. photos_101

photos_101 Mouseketeer

Oh my! You all are amazing. lol There is so much more to think about when flying. I must say, I haven't even begun to think about packing and I am already realizing why I LOVE driving down. lol Personal choice for most, I am sure.

NO KIDS!! :cool1: haha, Actually we have 2 kids but one is unable to go. She is 20 and has work/school. And the other will be flying separately with the school group. They have a different flight, different airline, different airport. So we will just meet up with the group the next day.

Thanks for the advice to pack a set of clothes in each others suitcase. Terrific idea! We will be taking ME, so I will plan to take my park essentials in my carry on. I stay cold ALL the time (unless it is at least 90* lol) so I probably should wear a hoodie on the plane. We are traveling first of May from the midwest. This will be a shorter trip than usual, only 4nights/5 days. So won't have to pack quite as much as usual.

I have been to Disney (driving down everytime) 6 times already and for once I am feeling extremely overwhelmed this time. I am a penny pincher/couponer and it would just kill me to have to 'pay' for something I should have known to bring in my carry on. lol AKA..sunscreen and such.

Thanks for the advice/tips..keep them coming!

14. hops&dreams

hops&dreams DIS Veteran

Don't forget to put your camera in your carry on!

my rules for carry on - take everything you'll need until you wake up the next morning. If your carryon is an on-board roller or a backpack, put in a change of clothes (at the very least pj's and clean undies), a toothbrush, and whatever you'll need for the plane (I tell DD to look at it like a long bus ride) and for the parks.

Once at the hotel, dump carryon bag in room, grab park bag (be it purse or whatever) and head to parks. :-)

Have fun!!! I LOVE flying, especially that first second when the wheels leave the ground :hyper: I still get excited to go on a plane ride, and I'm in my 30's!

15. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

To be very specific, the liquids rule allows for containers that are 3.4 ounces (or less). That's 100ml. It's not 3 oz. 3.4. And it's amazing how much 3.4 oz is! I get refillable 3.4 oz containers (from safeway, but not everyone has a Safeway) and put all sorts of things in them. I have curly hair that likes my Aveda shampoo, so I have one with the shampoo in it. I usually fill 2 or 3 of them with sunscreen, so that I KNOW I have sunscreen with me. etc. You can stuff your quart-sized baggie with those bottles as long as the baggie closes, and each traveler gets one.

And...along the same lines of how big a 3.4 oz container actually is, getting a true carry-on size bag can be amazing, too. ricksteves.com sells carryon sized bags, we own several of them, and without overstuffing or expanding the ones that can be expanded, you can carry a lot of stuff in them. Those carryons won't go under the seat, of course; that's more of a backpack sized bag as your "personal item", but still, it's amazing.

16. Sagginit

Sagginit DIS Veteran

if you get cold you will definitely want to wear warmer clothes. i typically bring a scarf that can function as a wrap. if you will be on in the early am and want to snooze i bring an eye mask, wear a hoddie (to put up), and earplugs. i use the scarf as a blanket and bring something to use as a pillow.

remember to pack the carry on with the items you will use on the top/side. don't count on being able to get into the bag if its in the overhead bin while on the flight.

i always bring snacks as you can't count on the airline to have food and most charge A LOT for it.

my lost luggage tip is to put your name and contact details inside too .i typically put a card in the mesh pocket in the front of it or tape it to the inside lid. luggage tags outside can get knocked off.

oh and make sure you weigh the checked pieces and check the sizes so you dont have any extra fees.

have fun, i love flying.

17. mnasf

mnasf DIS Veteran

I double ziplok things that might possibly leak like sunscreen or make-up. I put a small quantity of medications to take with me and put some in suitcase. I pack dryer sheets and laundy detergent sometimes. I pack the really big ziploks for wet swim clothes if needed. And the giant ones for the laundromat if you plan to use it.

18. Maddle

Maddle DIS Veteran

Pack your chargers in your carry-on also (phone, camera, computer, etc.) In fact, if you only put one thing in your carry-on, make sure it is your phone charger...because as soon as you don't have it with you, you will need it.

I like the PP advice "everything you will need before you wake up the next morning" but in addition I would say, "anything that will make you cry if you lose it." ...and I mean really cry, like your jewelry, your computer, your bathing suit.

Oh - bathing suit! Let me modify my earlier advice - if you put TWO things in your carry-on, let it be your phone charger and your bathing suit, because it is impossible (for me) to find a bathing suit on short notice, and you may want it before your luggage shows up.

Maddle

19. erincon23

erincon23 <font color=blue>Everyone must have gotten a life

Put your ziploc with your liquids on the top of your carry on stuff -- you'll have to pull it out and put it in a bin with your shoes. While you're in line for security, take off your belt, and put it and EVERYTHING in your pockets into the carry on. Don't just toss it in the bin that goes through the scanner. Untie your shoes.

Coming home, pack the same way -- anything valuable stays with you. My DSIL brought good jewelry with her on a trip to Mexico (why, I have no idea...), and it was stolen out of her luggage (her carryon was too big, and they had her check it -- why she didn't take the jewelry out and throw it in her purse, I don't know -- a cautionary tale)! Also, if you collect snowglobes or buy one as a gift -- these CAN'T go in your carry on. You'll be a sad puppy. Either ship them home (shipping cost is reasonable) or pack them REALLY well in your checked luggage.

Bring food on the plane - a sandwich, crackers and cheese, anything non-liquid. These days, you just don't know if you'll have a delay on the runway. Buy a bottled beverage or like a PP said, bring a refillable water bottle and fill it before you get on the plane,for the same reason.

20. Sagginit

Sagginit DIS Veteran

oh and gels! besides liquids gels must be a certain size and in a bag. that includes lip gloss (many a woman has lost hers at airport security) and my mother had a pudding cup confiscated because it is considered a gel not a solid and was too big and not in a bag.

21. holden

holden DIS Veteran

Don't be alarmed if your bag gets pulled by TSA for inspection. Ours was pulled on our last trip. They thought we had a knife in it. I'm not sure what looked like a knife on their screen, but they took everything out of the bag and searched it thoroughly. This is why you have to allow time before your flight. We didn't mind a bit (we had plenty of time). It's the world we live in now...