Never been west --- Help us plan a magical itinerary!

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
The cast:
1) Me (dad, age 38, likes running, Disney, nice hotels)
2) Sue (mom, age 38, likes Disney, nice hotels, fun experiences)
3) Son #1 (age 12, loves Disney, swimming, and anything "cool")
4) Son #2 (age 10, loves Disney, swimming, sports, fun stuff)

The trip: We would like to go "out west" next summer for up to 2 weeks. Ideally, I'd like to end up in Disneyland for 5 days. That would leave me with 9 days for "other" stuff.

My wife has only one request --- that we hit a national park. She doesn't care if it is Yosemite or Grand Canyon, but it has to be one of those. My request is that our hotels have some "magic" to them. I am used to Disney accommodations, and I would like to stay in a place where the hotel itself is fun, relaxing, etc. I love places with a "resort" feel where I can hang out poolside with a drink.

So, how would you break this trip up? Where would you stop -- and for how long? Thanks!!!!!!!

I saw another thread where someone was talking about flying into Phoenix, hitting the Grand Canyon, and then to Las Vegas before heading to Disneyland.

Is Vegas something that would interest the kids? I was kind of figuring I would bypass that.

Wer flew from NJ to Vegas. Got there early with the time change and wandered around Vegas. Went to bed, got up early and hit the road. We stopped at the Grand Canyon Caverns, and then drove to he Grand Canyon. We spent two nights at the Grand Canyon and then left for Bryce Canyon in Utah, on the way we stopped in Page AZ and toured Antelope Canyon. Then headed to Bryce. Spent one night there and then went to Zion National Park. From Zion we drove back to Vegas and went home the next day.
It was a wonderful trip and much different then a Disney trip, but well worth it!!

This took us a week to do and it was awesome!!

Wasn't that a lot of............canyons? Having never been out that way, I didn't seem to think that all that would keep the interest of the kids (or their ADD dad, lol). But I will definitely look into it now that you recommend it.

I read that a lot of people go to the Grand Canyon and fly to Phoenix. I looked up resorts in Phoenix and found this one, which seems to have a bit of a Disney vibe to it (fun, nice, etc.).

LOL!! Yes it was and we loved every minute of it. I am going to assume you either live near Rutgers or went to Rutgers. We are in NJ near Rutgers and I hated every minute of our drive down 95 to Mytle Beach, but the drive out West is soooo different. It is nothing like what is here in NJ. Take a look at the places we went to to see if it would interest your family

We just returned from our 3rd trip on the Calif. coastline area. Our first trip we flew into Seattle, Wa & drove all the way down the coastline & ended at Disneyland. The coastline is beautiful!! We saw the the Redwood Forest area which is awesome & saw the sealions at the Sea Lion cave & lots more on the way down.

Our second trip we flew into Seattle & out of San Francisco. We saw some of the same places plus Crater Lake. We did the ranger boat ride on Crater Lake & loved it. Crater Lake is tops!! We spent time in San Francisco too in the Fisherman's Wharf area & loved it.

A month ago we returned to Calif. We flew in & out of San Francisco this time. We started with time at Fisherman's wharf & other highlights of the city. We then drove to Yosemite National Park & toured it. It is beautiful but it was hot & very very crowded & you do most everything by tram. We were used to places like : Yellowstone Nat. Park, Crater Lake, the Badlands, The Tetons, etc & we were kind of surpised at the crowds. After that we drove to Monterey, Calif & loved it. We drove the 17 mile drive, we saw McWay Falls, Took a whale watching tour here, & enjoyed seeing the sealions, seals, otters & starfish along the coastline there. We loved this area & enjoyed it more than Yosemite. We are all glad we saw Yosemite as it has been on our list a long long time...but Monterey was a favorite of all of us. You might want to check into that area.

keep it simple . . . fly to San Francisco (be sure to chek options of Oakland and San Jose), stay a few days, rent a car and drive to Yosemite, stay two nights and then drive to DL.

Rent bikes in SF from Blazing Saddles, ride across the Golden Gate to Sausalito (sp?) and take the ferry back to SF.

Book National Park lodging early!

Definitely book Yosemite lodging early. DH and I tried to get a hotel room the "day of" -- big mistake. We called the local minister of a church near the park and got a recommendation of a little-known place which was nice enough, and we were very fortunate not to have to drive another 50 miles to find something. Yosemite has some nice rustic lodges but don't expect Disney.

The Grand Canyon has the historic El Tovar hotel, and is rather pricey, but again, don't expect a posh Disney resort. You'd get a better deal in nearby Flagstaff at Little America or Embassy Suites.

keep it simple . . . fly to San Francisco (be sure to chek options of Oakland and San Jose), stay a few days, rent a car and drive to Yosemite, stay two nights and then drive to DL.

Rent bikes in SF from Blazing Saddles, ride across the Golden Gate to Sausalito (sp?) and take the ferry back to SF.

Book National Park lodging early!

After changing my mind every time I read a different thread, we went to be last night thinking that something like this might be best. I thought that maybe a swing over to Monteray might be nice, too. This is the working plan as of this minute (changes by the minute!!!!):

1) Fly into San Francisco, stay 3 days
2) Drive a bit down the coast to Monteray (2 hours), and stay 3 days
3) Go to Yosemite (4 hour drive), stay 3 days
4) Drive to Los Angeles (6 hours), stay 4 days

The park where I did the most swimming was Zion. Hikes to pools under cliffs that are semi warm. Tubing on the Virgin River. And a few jumps into pools in the narrow canyons. Great place if you want some adventure.

I read that a lot of people go to the Grand Canyon and fly to Phoenix. I looked up resorts in Phoenix and found this one, which seems to have a bit of a Disney vibe to it (fun, nice, etc.).

The Arizona Grand does boast a huge water slide. If you need to spend the night in Phoenix, this sounds like a place you would enjoy.

However, if you really want to see the west, I would fly to Phoenix and then dirve to Sedona. See the red rocks, maybe stay the night and then go to the Grand Canyon. From the Grand Canyon you could drive to California or go into Utah and see the canyons. We saw GC, Bryce, and Zion on our summer trip this year and my DD kept her interest. These parks are incredibly beautiful.

If you go to California, you could go see Yosemite or drive along the coast. Monterey is beautiful too.

It looks like you are doing mostly Northen California...but as a So Cal native I would strongly suggest some time in San Diego if you could. Lots to do, beaches, nice weather, Legoland, San Diego Zoo...Los Angeles itself is weird and large, and some nice things...but Disneyland and San Diego rock!

After changing my mind every time I read a different thread, we went to be last night thinking that something like this might be best. I thought that maybe a swing over to Monteray might be nice, too. This is the working plan as of this minute (changes by the minute!!!!):

1) Fly into San Francisco, stay 3 days
2) Drive a bit down the coast to Monteray (2 hours), and stay 3 days
3) Go to Yosemite (4 hour drive), stay 3 days
4) Drive to Los Angeles (6 hours), stay 4 days

Yeap, that "ohhh we could do this" can really lead to a lot of indecision. Your plan is certainly workable, doable and you will enjoy it. I say, don't let us confuse you more!

Get your ressies in Yosemite ASAP! Without too much difference in driving times and mileage, you could always swap stops #2 & #3 if necessary to get the lodging you want in YNP.

If we do end up doing the San Fran/Monteray/Yosemite trip this year (saving Grand Canyon for next year), can anyone suggest hotels in these places? I don't want to spend $500/night, but I'd rather save a bit extra to avoid staying in a dive. After staying in some of the nicer Disney resorts, we kind of hold that as our standard (clean, beautiful grounds, "resort" feel). I love a nice, cold drink poolside!

If you can work it out, stay in the valley in Yosemite . . . DNC is the concessionaire. They ain't cheap, but location, location, location. There are condos for rent in a private development near the valley that is technically outside the park, but inside the "tol gate" entrances. Yosemite West?

If you can work it out, stay in the valley in Yosemite . . . DNC is the concessionaire. They ain't cheap, but location, location, location. There are condos for rent in a private development near the valley that is technically outside the park, but inside the "tol gate" entrances. Yosemite West?

What do you mean by the valley? Is there a resort/hotel that falls within this area?

What do you mean by the valley? Is there a resort/hotel that falls within this area?

The highpoint of Yosemite, is the valley. The views looking up the granite faces are incredible. You drive down into it. It is where all of the accommodations and facilities are. It is also how you get to Yosemite Falls.

There are no resorts in Yosemite Valley. All accommodations, except for the Ahwahnee Hotel (very expensive), are basic motel type set ups, unless your camping. If you like nice hotels, you might want to consider staying outside the South Entrance to the park at the Tenaya Lodge. It sounds more to your taste. http://www.tenayalodge.com/

It looks like you are doing mostly Northen California...but as a So Cal native I would strongly suggest some time in San Diego if you could. Lots to do, beaches, nice weather, Legoland, San Diego Zoo...Los Angeles itself is weird and large, and some nice things...but Disneyland and San Diego rock!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: And here, I was thinking how sad it is they're not getting to Northern CA, but it's simply not possible to "do" a state this large and varied in such a short time. I figure just about everything south of SF is "Southern California". Where to you draw your line? And... what do we call the no-man's land in between?

At San Fransisco we stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's wharf. We wanted location so we stayed at the Fisherman's wharf area. We did this both times at San Fran. Loved it as you can walk to everything in that area or hop the dbl decker bus or tolley. Can walk to Pier 39, China Town,Union Square, Colt Tower, etc or hop dbl. decker bus to those areas.
I pricelined, name your price, both times for a 4 star in the Fisherman Wharf area. It wasn't cheap but worth it for the area. Paid $150 for a room per night & $45 parking .

At the Yosemite area we booked a cabin. It was at Mariposa. Was the Trabucca Garden Cabin. Was abit of a drive to the park...maybe 45 minutes or so...don't remember.. but we only went one day to Yosemite.

At Monterey we stayed at the Portola Hotel . Again I was going for location. It was a 4 star I also got on priceline at $115 a night for the room...about $20 or so was parking. The location was awesome. Walk out of the room to their Fisherman's wharf & along the coast. Can walk to Cannery Row or get a trolley. We walked as is a beautiful walk along there.

All 3 of the above were great lodgings. The Portola Hotel had no a/c though but then again most along there may not have it either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter