Never been to DVC for Christmas...thinking of 2008...is it really worth the crowds?

igitur

Mouseketeer
I'm seriously thinking about booking our 2008 trip to our home resort during Christmas week. I've read plenty and heard about the crowds and all, but part of me wants to bring the kids down to experience it all at least once before they get older (they're 7 and 9.)

So, for those of you who've done it, is it really that magical and worth the crowds and lines?

We were there for Thanksgiving 2005 and we did enjoy it! Although I'm sure it wasn't half as crowded at that time.

Thanks for any opinions...

Deb

Yes, it's worth it in my opinion. :thumbsup2 We went for Christmas last year and are going back next year. :santa: I wrote a trip report about our Christmas vacation - the link is in my signature. I would go the week before Christmas and leave a couple of days after Christmas. The crowds do get much worse the week between Christmas & New Year's. :crowded:

Happy Planning!
-Michelle

Yes it is worth it. We are going this year after Christmas for New Years and we have been there for Christmas in the past. You just have to learn to pace yourself and not expect to ride as many rides or attractions as when it is less crowded. Reservations for meals are a must.

Even if you only do it once, at least you'll experience it. If you don't do it, you'll kick yourself when the kids are older.

HBC

Do NOT miss the Candelight Processional - a highlight of a Christmas trip. Also go early in the morning to the parks and give up when the crowds get too large. Just my two cents.:idea:

Except that our favorite time to go is the week before Christmas. That way we get in all of the events, but without the crowds....and then we still have our traditional Christmas at home (although I do think we do decorate more at OKW each year than we do at home...hmmm?)

I'm seriously thinking about booking our 2008 trip to our home resort during Christmas week. I've read plenty and heard about the crowds and all, but part of me wants to bring the kids down to experience it all at least once before they get older (they're 7 and 9.)

So, for those of you who've done it, is it really that magical and worth the crowds and lines?
YES! YES! YES!
- as long as you plan for the fact that there are the crowds and lines and just take a relaxed approach that you will do what you can and what you can't you will do another trip. If there are things/rides you really want to do plan to do them early in the day and then anything else is magic on top. We also plan down time like a day at a water park (based on weather of course) and doing things like checking out other resorts and playing miniature golf.

If you want to do some of the late night things you know your children best and whether they will need quiet time during the day to allow for the late bedtimes.
We have done Christmas week through New Years three times and will do it again as it was truly wonderful. You do have to be able to set priorities and be flexible depending on the crowds. You also need to be prepared for any kind of weather. This past year we had it all from warm and sunny to really cold and rainy so pack for all possibilities.

We went last year during Christmas week and it was incredible! Yes, it is well worth it when you are standing in the middle of the Osborn Lights, the music playing, the lights flashing to the beat and you're sipping hot chocolate while it "snows" outside. A great experience, as well as the others already mentioned.

Yes it is worth it. We are going this year after Christmas for New Years and we have been there for Christmas in the past. You just have to learn to pace yourself and not expect to ride as many rides or attractions as when it is less crowded. Reservations for meals are a must.

Even if you only do it once, at least you'll experience it. If you don't do it, you'll kick yourself when the kids are older.

HBC

I agree completely with HBC's advice in every aspect. Lower the expectations of how many attractions you will hit in a day and ADRs are very important. We normally don't make ADRs in advance but for that trip they were critical.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear a lot of positive experiences! I agree, when you're dealing with crowds, you just have to "go with the flow"! Now I'll just have to remember to call for reservations at our home resort (BCV) at the 11 months window :)

Thanks for the trip report Michelle...we have a red-headed little guy too!

Deb

HBC

My family is going this Dec 19 thru the 22nd. I was wondering what you mean by Reservations for meal are a must. Could you please explain.

Thanks

My family is going this Dec 19 thru the 22nd. I was wondering what you mean by Reservations for meal are a must. Could you please explain.

Thanks
What this means is that you cannot expect to walk up to a Disney sit-down restaurant and be seated without a reservation. Due to the huge crowds during Christmas week (every WDW resort including DVC ones will be completely sold out) the restaurants are packed.

Now you are going earlier than Christmas week, so it won't be quite so bad. Still, I would recommend making reservations for any favorite restaurants to be sure of getting a decent time to eat.

And you need to make them as soon as available, usually almost 6 months in advance. Here's a link to a calculator for when you need to call. Advanced Dining Reservation calculator

We went last year during Christmas week and it was incredible!

And you get to meet very nice people like Granny while you are there. Hey Granny, this year I'll stop by "the bell" outside the American Adventure and think of you and your family;)

HBC

And you get to meet very nice people like Granny while you are there. Hey Granny, this year I'll stop by "the bell" outside the American Adventure and think of you and your family;)

HBC

Oh man....I am so busted!! :blush:

You're right though...between sharing Christmas trees among the good people on this board and meeting people such as HBC, it is truly a magical time of the year! :thumbsup2

Hi igitur...

My 2 cents...Absolutely go for it!!! We've been the last two years from around Dec 27th till the end of the first week in Jan. This year we'll be there from Dec 29th to Jan 5th. It is just the wife and me (no kids). It is quite magical that time of year.

If you want to get all rides/attractions in with minimal wait times you'll need to be at the parks for rope drop. We tend to go for rope drop to do the popular rides, come back in the early afternoon to the hotel for a nap/rest and go back to the parks for the evenings to watch parades/fireworks/shows/do less popular rides. We also tend to eat before or after the bulk of the crowd eats. Other than being up early this makes for a leisurely time in the parks and less stress as you know you'll accomplish all you want to. If you don't want to go to the parks until mid/late morning then you will wait in much longer lines and won't accomplish nearly as much but as long as you are prepared for this then you will enjoy yourself.

(FYI...By following our routine above we never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride on our last two Christmas trips except for two 40 minute waits when rides broke down while we were already in line. As a point of reference...We hit Epcot at rope drop, grabbed a fastpass for Soarin' (to use later) then immediately got in line for Soarin' and waited less than 15 mins to get on. By 1pm that day the wait for Soarin' was 180 minutes.)

For everyone...If you want a great evening during the Christmas season try this...Last year on Dec 30th (the last night of the Candlelight Processional) DW and I took the day off and did the following in the evening. Had a nice dinner in Epcot, caught the final Candlelight Processional of the evening (and season), left Epcot through the International Gate and took a boat to MGM, did the Osborne Lights (night/snow/Christmas music/lots of people) and then headed to the other end of the park to catch the 10:30pm showing of Fantasmic. What an awesome evening and we did all this for $2 each if you know what I mean ;)

I agree with TinkerHokie above...........if you really want to experience a WDW Christmas.......go a week or two before Christmas Day. It's absolutely my favorite time to visit. You will get the full experience with complete decorations, etc. The only thing you may miss are the different performances in the lobby of some of the resorts .......I believe they are mostly scheduled within a few days of the actual holiday. However, the crowd levels are low and that really makes your visit so much more enjoyable. My only advice if you decide to go this route.......you really need to be super organized with your Christmas planning because if you're returning home just a few days before the holidays.......everything for the holidays really needs to be just about done BEFORE you leave for WDW. We have gone at this time several times and also have been there the week between Christmas/New Years and would never do that again........the crowds were so bad......by 11:00 a.m. parks were at capacity and gates were closed to those just arriving .......not my idea of enjoyment......service is poor just because of the volume of people. So.......if you can visit anytime during the first 3 weeks of December it's definitely the way to enjoy Christmas at WDW. My next favorite time is right after New Years Day (maybe the 4th thru 11th, or 5th thru 12th). However, you really won't get to enjoy decorations at that time because they do start removing them around the 4th or 5th.......but, crowd levels are fantastic. Weather can be up or down also at that time......we've been very lucky and had warm enough weather for daytime swimming at least some days.......nights usually require at least a sweatshirt......sometimes a little more. Hope this helps you make a decision.

It is the best, EPCOT Illuminations during XMAS week is so good, and the park hours are really long, we are going NY week in 2008 for sure.

As noted, it is extremely busy on Christmas week and if you wish to enjoy the festivities without the crowds, it is better to go in early December. Whether it is worth going during Christmas week is a personal decision but I have found that it gets so crowded that I didn't enjoy myself at the Magic Kingdom - I ended up going back to the resort. I did like the parades and watching people with small children but I have gone in early to mid-December and seen the same. Having said all that, I will be in Orlando again during Christmas week staying offsite and staying at the BWV the week before so that my visits to the theme parks during Christmas week will be more casual than the week before where I will be staying at BMV and spend time at the theme parks. I must add, the year before that I went during Christmas week it rained during Christmas day and standing in the rain waiting for the parade was miserable so I'll admit that it skewed my view about Christmas day a little bit but I definitely remember it being crowded.

I must add, the year before that I went during Christmas week it rained during Christmas day and standing in the rain waiting for the parade was miserable so I'll admit that it skewed my view about Christmas day a little bit but I definitely remember it being crowded.

Funny you say that, was it last year? This is 4PM XMAS day 2006, just after we arrived-no waits at all because everyone had left.

33207XMASDAY061-med.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter