• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Never been to DisneyLAND-need counter AND full service recommendations!

Demon Llama

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

This will be my first time going to DisneyLAND ever and I'm hoping some of you can suggest your favourite counter and full service restaurants and why, as in, what I should order there!

Thanks in advance!

demon llama...you posted in a grammar thread that caused me English class nightmares.....:eek: :goodvibes :flower3:

What kind of food do you like?

We're vegetarian, and we love the veg. gumbo at Royal St Veranda in NOS. My brother and SIL, omnivores, like the steak gumbo.

We also like the veg. chili at Pacific Wharf Cafe at DCA.

Each of those are served in breadbowls, by the way.

Blue Bayou is a table service restaurant "inside" the POTC ride. Some love the food, some don't, most people think it's pricey, but MAN oh man you cannot beat the atmosphere! Go for an early lunch, book the 11:30am Priority Seating, check in around 11 (or when they let you) and request a waterside table, and it's amazing.

Wine Country Trattoria in DCA is being talked about more and more. I love the Caprese Sandwich there.

We've had enjoyable character breakfasts at PCH Grill at Paradise Pier (Lilo and Stitch) and Storyteller's Cafe at Grand Californian (Chip and Dale). Both of those breakfasts offer buffet (including beverage) or menu options. The lilo and stitch breakfast has rice in a rice cooker, which is fun for many people!

Be sure to check out the "sticky" thread by HydroGuy; he has info for WDW people going to DLR. :)

Table Service (requiring PS ressies):

Storyteller's Cafe at GCH
Carnation Cafe in DL

Counter Service:

French Market in NOS
Pizza Port in TL (chicken fusilli is huge so split it)
Pacific Warf Cafe in DCA
Whitewater Snacks in GCH

Our last meal yesterday was Chicken Fusilli @ Pizza Port ~ it is huge, my 2 kids and I split it! Corn dogs are yummy ~ that's another item the 3 of us can share. Missed Whitewater Snacks this time ~ we stopped by fairly early in the evening and they had already locked their doors! We enjoy the BB but eat there frugally. We have had 2 character meals ~ last Sept. breakfast at Ariel's grotto ~ not a buffet and a bit pricey. We had a late breakfast with Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn this last Sun. that was very fun (yummy Mickey waffles).

Okay, I drive my DH crazy with this, but I swear , I try to eat my way through DL everytime we go. so, rather than make a total pig of myself and pass out in the car, I bring tupperware or some good food storage boxes and a little cooler (kept in the car).
Here are my faves in no particular order
Poohs corner candy store in critter corner. the treats here are so pretty and cute and delightful, they look like cartoon food. candy apples, tigger tails, you will see.
The clam chowder in a bowl of bread right next to the POTC. its a cheap date and a super filler!
Rancho Del Zocolo
Everything is great here. Its actual food. Even the salads are really filling. It is Mexican food. I recommend everything.
God bless the man who invented the churro.
Dole whips. the best few bucks you will ever spend.
The chimichangas in the cart to the left of the hub in front of the castle.
Bengal BBQ. Meat on a stick, you cant beat food on a stick. grilled fresh and very tasty.
Blue ribbon bakery. I prefer the cinnimon twists with a cup a joe.
and by high recommendation, the brat and sausage place in fantasy land. the name escapes me right now.
Seriously, go hungry.
Disneyland eating could be its own day. I dont know how long you will be there, but here is my thought. You can always eat a hot dog anywhere, eat the funstuff here!
I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Corpsebride, I like and enjoyed reading your foodie recommondations! how tasty and humorous as well.
I agree about the hot dog, and to have fun with the fun food,at Dl.
You have got to love Tupperware, too.! Nothing like a tasty leftover to have for a nosh, at midnight!
My most favorite restaurant is The Blue Bayou, at New Orleans Square,reservations are highly recommendad, The number for Disney Dining is 1-714-781-3463.
The last time I went to Dl, I made a reservation for two, and called at just the right time, to make it.
I Pretty much like everything everywhere, my nose tells me what I will or most likely will like.

Corpsebride, I like and enjoyed reading your foodie recommondations! how tasty and humorous as well.
I agree about the hot dog, and to have fun with the fun food,at Dl.
You have got to love Tupperware, too.! Nothing like a tasty leftover to have for a nosh, at midnight!
My most favorite restaurant is The Blue Bayou, at New Orleans Square,reservations are highly recommendad, The number for Disney Dining is 1-714-781-3463.
The last time I went to Dl, I made a reservation for two, and called at just the right time, to make it.
I Pretty much like everything everywhere, my nose tells me what I will or most likely will like.
glad to be of service:goodvibes
Lol, you'll know you have eaten it all when you get home and your underwear doesnt fit! :rotfl:

The chimichangas in the cart to the left of the hub in front of the castle

Those are my absolute favorite! I always have to have one of those the first day we are in the park for lunch. My dh gets a Turkey Leg.

Stay away from the mexican place in DCA, It was gross and my son gagged on the couscous (rice). Taste pilot was pricey for ribs but they were ok.
ESPN had great ribs, burger and pizza. Napa Rose was fantastic. My husband travels and eats out alot and he said it was quite possibly the best meal he has ever had. Everything was sooooo good. He got the four course meal and they brought another plate so I could try his. I got a regular entree. White water snacks at gc had great kid meals and the chicken nachos were really good!

Demon Llama, I have taken many trips to WDW, as it seems you have. Over the past few years, I have had the opportunity to make a DL/DCA trip each summer. I love both WDW and DL, and don't even try to compare them. Each resort has its own wonderful qualities, and even though they share some similar rides and attractions, they are quite different. Prepare yourself for this . . . many people make their first trip to DL and assume incorrectly that it will be just like the Magic Kingdom. It's best to go into it viewing DL as a completely different place, because it truly is.

One of the great things I have found about DL/DCA resort is that the counter service restaurants are pretty good. I enjoy skewers from Bengal BBQ for a quick meal/snack, the fried chicken/red beans & rice plate from French Market, & hot dogs from Award Wieners in DCA. If you are looking for a different kind of mid-day "snack" option, you should try the Terrace Wine Tasting at DCA. You can choose from a few different tasting options, all of which come (I think) with a little side of cheese/fruit/bread. It costs about $10, but is really a unique time-out from a regular touring day.

You will love DL/DCA resort!

We mostly snack throughout the day. Our favorite snacks are a Dole Whip or Dole Whip float from the Tiki Juice Bar in Adventureland and some fritters and a Mint Julep from the Mint Julep bar behind the French Market in New Orleans Square. The Bengal BBQ is also good.

I love the Blue Bayou, but only as a splurge. We usually only have one day at DL, so we don't want to spend too much time sitting and eating!

We also enjoy the Jambalaya from the French Market, and if you plan it right you'll have a jazz band to listen to as you eat.

Recently we purchase our dinner from Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland "to go" and eat it while we're waiting for the fireworks to begin. You'll have to request it to go and ask the casheir for plasticwear, or else it'll be served on a plate. Then we just deposit the tray on top of a trash can after the show.

And maybe this trip I'll give in and purchase a treat from the Pooh store in Critter Country.

We always must have one meal at Blue Bayou. We have tried just about everything on their menu and have always been pleased. My very favorite item from their menu is their Creme Brulee!

Our favorites are:
Pomme Frites and Monte Cristo from Cafe Orleans
Clam Chowder Bowl from Royal Street Veranda
Fried Chicken from Plaza Inn
Chicken Strips from Stage Door Café
Corn Dog from Main Street Corn Dog Wagon
Loaded Baked Potato Soup from Carnation Cafe
Banana Stuffed French Toast from Storytellers (at the Grand Californian)

Mickey Mouse pancakes at the River Belle Terrace - this is a must every trip.

Bengal Bar-B-Q- yummy!

Both of these are counter service.

Blue Buyou is great for the atmoshere and the experience BUT I have never once felt that the meal was worth the price - yet, I keep going back.:confused3

We tried Wine Country on out last trip in June. If you don't want lasagna you are out of luck! It was nice sitting outside and watching the parade go by, but the food wasn't that great.

Rain Forest Cafe is great fun and the food is better than most at DL but we have one at home so we don't usually eat there when at DL.

Goofys Kitchen is fun if you have little children.

My DS, age 11, decided he didn't want any charcter meals this trip. We are still discussing this. We usually enjoy breakfast at Storyteller. The characters are not the run of the mill and the food is pretty good for a buffet.

I would love to show you some photos but I can't figure out how to post them. (What is a URL link?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter