Never been to Disney

Just wanted to add a welcome to a fellow Cheesehead :cheer2:
Actually you may be surprised at finding many CM's from WI (or nearby Midwest) that have "retired" and are working at WDW. And I guarantee that we don't drive any more funny than other tourists (or probably even some locals) at WDW. I would agree that you can get around all of Disney using their transportation so unless you would want to go somewhere else in Orlando you would not need a car. My advice is read what you can on these boards and the other links about park strategies and restaurants so you have some idea about the layout of things but take it easy and enjoy your honeymoon. Don't think you "have" to do any one thing. If you have fun that is what counts.

Hello and welcome, my sister in law lives in Wisconsin! Anyway, just a little tid bit of advice. TELL EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE YOU GO YOU ARE ON YOUR HONEYMOON! Although, disney treats everyone very well, at least we are always treated well, if you say you are on your honeymoon, they will go above and beyone. We are DVC members, and according to the reservation records we have been there 51 times since '98, and taking our 52nd in one week, we also honeymooned there, and we were given special desserts at dinner, champagne and strawberries in our room, cards and balloons from mickey, etc., last year our son turned 5 at disney and did the balloon/card thing. When they know it is your first trip and your honeymoon, it will be an experience you will never,ever forget. Don't feel funny, go for it, brag it is your honeymoon/first time. About the rent a car, disney trans. is great, and if you are staying on property and only on property, you really won't need it. On my first trip ever in '98 with my now husband, he purchased a passporter book for me from barnes/noble, it has alot of helpful hints, and you can also write your daily reservations/daily activities it, it really comes in handy, try that as well. ENJOY, ENJOY,ENJOY, you will have a blast:banana: , oh and by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Congratulations!
My husband and I spend our honeymoon at Disney too and loved it, we had no rental and did not need it, the bus transportation was enough for us and we did not bother ordering groceries for the room either.
Last year we went back now with two kids and did use gardengrocer to order water and snacks, you can place order before you leave, it was convenient.
You should check Pleasure Island one night, it was different and we enjoyed it.

HI - Congrats too you..... I grew up in Wisconsin... :) and people still say I talk funny...

We are not renting a car while down there... we are utilizing Disney Transportation...

As for food - have you thought about doing the Disney Dining Plan for food... You may be surprised at the value there... We went with the Dulx plan for our may trip...

Hope you let us know how your trip goes...

OMG! looking at all the menus I'm sooo hungry now! Thanks for the website addy! Still waiting for the travel agent to email me back on the meal plan. I'm thinking we might rent a car for a day. I don't know so much planning involued here and so little time!

Congratulations.

My wife and I Disneymooned at POR in 2006 and loved every second of our trip.

As pretty much everyone has said, there's really no need for a rental car, as the transportation system is excellent.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, though... be sure you stop by Guest Services during your first day in any of the parks and tell them that you're on your honeymoon. The CM will give you a nice little button (which always seems to get noticed) and maybe a few other surprises to celebrate your event.

Have a great trip!

Welcome, Disney is great for a honeymoon. I don't think you will need a car. Did you make dining reservations??? It maybe cooler in September but I live in Chicago, IL and I an 100% certain it is warmer there than here or Wisconsin.

Hi!:) Welcome to the DIS!:) I will not try to describe WDW to you because I always say WDW cannot be described in words-it has to be experienced!:) I went to WDW in July of 2003 for what I thought would be my only trip ever or at least for a long,long time.I am planning to return in April for trip #12!:) I have never had a car during any of my trips and REALLY enjoy not having to get behind the wheel of a car and fight traffic for a whole week!:) There are buses,boats(large and small) and monorails to transport Guests around WDW.Are you using Disney's Magical Express?It is GREAT.:) Weather can vary greatly during the winter at WDW.I have never been in February,but go every December.In December,I have worn shorts and short-sleeved shirts all week and on other trips I have needed a heavy coat all week.Hopefully,your trip will fall during a warmer period.:)

We honeymooned at Disney after our July 2006 wedding...

We didn't bother with a car. I'd suggest using Magical Express from the airport and just enjoy the ride....and the buses, boats and monorails are GREAT for getting around at Disney. They will take you anywhere you want to go!

I also second the suggestion to get the meal plan (disney dining). We did and it was GREAT. We never had to think about food or budgeting which took the stress off.

As you are honeymooners DEFINITELY get the "Just Married" badges!! We got ours at the front desk when we checked into our hotel (we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge). Basically, everytime you talk to them on the phone or whatnot, mention it is your honeymoon. Wear your honeymoon badges EVERYWHERE!!! Why?? Cuz it is fun!! :)))

...We got 'harassed' at Hoop-de-Doo-Revue (which hubby and I highly recommend if you like ribs or fried chicken and silly shows)....
...We had to slow dance at Whispering Canyon Cafe` while our waiter sang 'Going to the Chapel'...
...We got a car to ourselves on It's a Small World AND Splash Mountain...
...We got lovebird treatment at Liberty Tree Tavern...
...Free desert at the teppanaki grill at Epcot...

Of course I also got the bride ears headband and wore it everywhere (hubby couldn't wear the groom's hat...what can I say, He's got a huge head!!).

Congrats and have a great time :))
:cheer2:

Well I rented a car! but only for two days. Was it ever hard to rent one but I got one, maybe when we get there they will be out of what we rented and give us something better lol maybe a hummer lol I'm happy that I decided to rent one just in case if we wanted to get away for a bit. Hubby already said I'm driving :drive: We do have the Meal plan.... so thats good I was sure that we did.

Oh yeah has anyone used a tracfone there? I'm thinking about buying a cheap one here and registering it for Florida. I heard even if you use a calling card the hotel could charge you extra. Any truth to that? what you think?

Well I rented a car! but only for two days. Was it ever hard to rent one but I got one, maybe when we get there they will be out of what we rented and give us something better lol maybe a hummer lol I'm happy that I decided to rent one just in case if we wanted to get away for a bit. Hubby already said I'm driving :drive: We do have the Meal plan.... so thats good I was sure that we did.

Oh yeah has anyone used a tracfone there? I'm thinking about buying a cheap one here and registering it for Florida. I heard even if you use a calling card the hotel could charge you extra. Any truth to that? what you think?

IMO, a 1-day car rental (during a slow period in your trip) can come in very handy (and often pay for themselves) for the occasional side trip to either the local Wal-Mart or Publix supermarket to stock-up on essentials/stuff you forgot (which will cost you an arm and/or a leg on Disney property).

As for Tracfone, according to their website, they offer full coverage throughout central Florida, so you should be well-covered in your visit.

And yes, some hotels WILL charge you extra $ to make a 800/888/877 or calling card call from the room phone (and forget about payphones as they are mandated by law to surcharge for certain long distance calls made with a prepaid card).

Hope this helps!

JB2K Thanks for the info! It cleared up alot about the calling cards and payphones. Think I'll just pick up a tracfone and put some mins on, if it doesn't work I won't be out much. Thanks again!

Congratulations on you marriage. I think that you will love CBR, and it should be warmer in FL then it is here in WI. Another snow storm Thursday night, boy am I sick of shoveling. ;)

I enjoy having a car, we like to stop at Publix, Walgreens, and/or Target. We also like going to the Prime outlet store when we have a car. I rent with Budget, sign up for their "fast break" program, it is super easy to pick up the car at the airport, you bypass the line with "fast break". Then to drop off the car there is a location in DTD, at the Doubletree. Make a reservation for your ride when you drop off your car. They have a shuttle that will take you back to your resort, just a small tip, otherwise free. (I think they would probably drop you at any resort if that works best for you.) To find the location lookup Budget rental locations on their website, there is no drop charge in FL, meaning that you can pick up and drop off at different locations without an extra fee.

Having a car to go to a park is nice. Just don't use it to go to MK, still have to go on monorail or boat to MK, while buses drop you right near the gates. We like to use the car to visit another resort to eat. Our favorites are Kona at Poly, Boatrights for breakfast at POR, ESPN club at BW, and Beaches and Cream at BC. Going to see the WL or AKL is also a great thing to do with a car. They are such beautiful resorts.

We are going to CBR on 2/4 for 3 nights, very short stay. Taking a first timer with me, can't wait to immerse himpirate: in the Disney Magic.:grouphug:

We always rent a car. And, parking at the moderates is great. Your car is never very far from your room (unlike the deluxes where the parking lots are a ways away).

We disneymoon at CBR last September - we loved it!!

We did have a car because we drove down to Florida, but we only really used it when we went to Universal, and to Downtown Disney.

I echo the poster who said to get the Honeymoon pins - everyone told us 'congratualtions' and we got several 'Dreams' because of it.

In addition to the Honeymoon Pin,I would also encourage to wear the First-Tme Pin.Each pin may bring its own "magic".Just don't expect anything to happen and then if it does it will be a bonus.You WILL receive congratulations from many of the Cast Members for being on your "Disneymoon" and for being a first-time Guest.:)

Hi, I have lots of relatives in WI so I know how everyone talks, lol. I have a trac phone here in chgo & have used it in the world. Took a couple of moments to get a signal but worked fine. Ive never driven in the world, the buses & boats work well. The ME service to the airport is great. You may want to see if you can get that going back. Check out the dining board to see what you can eat at driving to & from the parks. A bunch of places like Perkins at the crossings not far from downtown disney. Have fun on your Honey Moon and take your time in the parks. :thumbsup2

My pleasure -- glad to see that even tho I am a newbie on this board, I can help, too...

For anyone who is new to Disney and looking at renting a car -- check with your agency to see if they offer a program where they can store your rental/credit card info and have everything for quick receipt of your vehicle at the airport or resort hotel.

Also, take a few minutes and know where their drop-off locations are either at the airport, or on Disney property.

At Hertz, it's called the "#1 Club" (I use Hertz because they not only have a good relationship with AAA members, but they also have a pick-up/drop-off facility at Shades of Green, which makes things really easy).

Again, have fun down there (I'll be there in a few weeks, myself).

not many days left and I get away from this cold weather. Just has long as I don't catch a cold, gotta go stand out on the Lake for another weekend of ice races. Thanks everyone for your help!!! Don't think I'll ever be done packing it's a good thing I only have one suit case lol I'm excited now to stay at the CBR! Before I was a little turned off from what I heard, but now I'm sooo excited!:banana: :cool1: :woohoo: :banana: :dance3: :cool1:

Congratulations to you - you have received so much great information here. Above all else - have a magical time! You'll love the atmosphere no matter where you go, the parks offer so much. Don't rush, enjoy your time and make the memories last longer by taking special pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter