• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Never been to Animal Kingdom…need some advice

abbynlindsaysmom

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We have been to Disney several times but never have done Animal Kingdom and this is our year! So, I need some advice. We have two girls 7 and 10. Lets assume they will ride anything but wouldn't want something like Tower of Terror. That terrified my oldest when we did that so nothing like that.

First, rides. I got fast pass + for Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl. This is a EMH day so I plan to hit whatever other rides that back up when we first get there. What rides should we try to ride before the crowds arrive? And assume that they decide they want to do Kali River Rapids. I didn't book a FP+ for that because I wasn't sure if they will want to get wet. How wet do you get? If they do want to do it, which FP+ should I give up? And then how does that change the rides we shouldn't miss?

Also, lunch. This would be a counter service meal for us. Where should we eat? We are eating at Boma for dinner.

If you have any other advice for how to manage that park, I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Hi all,
I didn't book a FP+ for that because I wasn't sure if they will want to get wet. How wet do you get?

Also, lunch. This would be a counter service meal for us. Where should we eat? !

There is a chance you will get VERY WET. The one time I rode it, my DS and I were soaked from head to toe. Even our underwear was wet. Thank goodness we were headed right back to the resort anyway. But I've never ridden it again and have no plans to do so on this trip. However, my kids and my DH have a FP for it.

Our absolute favorite counter service is Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom. A nice departure from the standard fare!

I agree with the previous poster, you do get VERY wet in Kali River Rapids. This is good and bad, depending on when you are going or when you are riding. If it is during the very hot season (May-Sept) in the middle of the day, it feels great. I just hate wet shoes, so I usually switch shoes and bring extras. Some people bring extra clothes. It is very fun!

I think you should keep your fast passes, unless it is summer and then ask them if they want a water ride. If so, switch one for mid day when it is the hottest to Kali River Rapids. I would give up Primeval Whirl. You can hit that early while you also hit Dinosaur and the other dinosaur ride (like Dumbo, but dinos) in Dinorama area.

I also second FLAME TREE BARBEQUE as the best quick service in Animal Kingdom.

Have fun!! I am glad you are getting to experience Animal Kingdom. DEFINITELY do the Nemo show. It is FABULOUS.

On Kali River Rapids you can either stay completely dry or get completely soaked and there is no way to know which you will get.

As for food, we like Pizzafari. The hot Italian sandwich is very good. I am not a big BBQ fan so have never done Flame Tree.

I would suggest you do Rafiki's Planet Watch/ Conservation Station early in the day. You might get to see them perform some vet appointments! There are characters and a petting zoo back there. It is a nice little train ride out. Or if you prefer to go during the afternoon, it is a nice break in an air conditioned building.

I suggest walking the animal trails. And definitely let your kids spend some time in the Dig Site playground. It gives you a rest and they can run off some energy.

You can get soaked on Kali rapid, you may just get a little wet. On a warm day, ride early and you should dry out.

If they were okay with Thunder Mountain then Everest should be okay, but remember it goes backwards at one point! The whole of Primeval whirl can be seen from the queue so kids can check to see if they like the look of it.

Don't forgot to slow down and look at the Pagani train and the other animal trail as well, the gorilla's and tigers are worth seeing as well as the bats and the birds. Its not just about rides at AK. Flights of Wonder is a nice show as well.

For Quick Service food, flame tree BBQ is good (great beans!) and I liked the chinese style food from Yak & Yeti counter service.

There are lockers right outside the entrance to Kali River Rapids. So you can bring extra clothes, towels, shoes, whatever, and store them there for the day, and then after you get soaked, change or dry off and store the wet stuff back in the locker.

You may get soaked on Kali River Rapids. I'd bring along extra clothes to put on and as far as Counter Service lunch goes, I'm a fan of Pizzafari.

Standby for Kali was showing an hour when we were there in June of '12 on a Sunday. That said, I'm not sure I actually saw anyone in the Standby line, just a 60 minute sign. Primeval hurl was pretty much a walkon. Dinosaur was almost as quick. Safari never got over 20 minutes. At one point standby indicated 45 minutes, but we got in line anyway and were on the truck in 15.

Hi all,

We have been to Disney several times but never have done Animal Kingdom and this is our year! So, I need some advice. We have two girls 7 and 10. Lets assume they will ride anything but wouldn't want something like Tower of Terror. That terrified my oldest when we did that so nothing like that.

First, rides. I got fast pass + for Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl. This is a EMH day so I plan to hit whatever other rides that back up when we first get there. What rides should we try to ride before the crowds arrive? And assume that they decide they want to do Kali River Rapids. I didn't book a FP+ for that because I wasn't sure if they will want to get wet. How wet do you get? If they do want to do it, which FP+ should I give up? And then how does that change the rides we shouldn't miss?

Also, lunch. This would be a counter service meal for us. Where should we eat? We are eating at Boma for dinner.

If you have any other advice for how to manage that park, I would appreciate it! Thank you!
~I have never gotten wet on Kali -- it's very mild, IMO. But, there are a few chairs that always get soaked. My DH always gets the wet chair! Last time, he asked to switch seats with me at the very last minute and he got soaked again! :rotfl:

~The most popular TS lunches are Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari and Yak & Yeti counter service. We love Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari is okay -- it's just the standard personal pizza's, salad, etc. We will have to try Yak & Yeti one day.

~Also, Dinosaur is pretty cool too. Just beware -- it's very loud, dark, scary and super bumpy -- but also fun.

~We love AK -- it's our second favorite park! Have fun! :cool1:

There are lockers right outside the entrance to Kali River Rapids. So you can bring extra clothes, towels, shoes, whatever, and store them there for the day, and then after you get soaked, change or dry off and store the wet stuff back in the locker.

This. And if you bring extra clothes you can ride it earlier in the day, like AM. The line doesn't build up as much as other rides until later because so many people do it as their last thing in the park. So if you bring extra clothes and go early you won't need a fp for it.

We have eaten at both Flame Tree and Pizzafari and like both. We have tried Yak & Yeti CS and hated it -- but we don't like American style chinese food. Others might like it.

The Safari is probably the main must do of the park. You can do that during EMH though, and it's a better time to go since the animals are much more active at park opening. My DD loves Primeval Whirl but it's spinny so DH won't do it -- he says it's like riding the Tilt-a-Whirl. I agree with what people have posted about EE -- we're ok with it up til the backwards part. And Dinosaur could be pretty scary for some kids, but my DD is less scared of that than It's Tough to be a Bug. If you're doing it it's a good one to FP or do it during EMH -- it's popular like EE.

We also like the slower things at AK, like Rafiki's Planet Watch and Maharaja's Jungle Trek ie the kind of attractions you only find in AK. If Festival of the Lion King is open while you're there, it is hands down the best show in wdw IMO.

Kali is ok, unless you've been on Bilge Rat Barges at Universal. if you have be prepared for a big disappointment. You may well get wet on Kali.

Have to agree with Flame Tree for Lunch. - the chicken and ribs combo could easily feed two.

Primeval whirl is a lot more spinning on it than it looks from the ground, but it is fun.

Don't miss out on the walking tours.

Loved Animal Kingdom....the animals being so close is just amazing!!

Kali River Rapids - we brought some of the dollar store ponchos. Everyone in our party was completely dry...except for my sneakers. Next time I am throwing my flip flips on for this one....lol

Expedition Everest - loved this one for myself. But no one else dared to go on it.

Primevil Hurl - I don't do dizzy rides...but I was a trooper and went on with my son. I don't think it spun as much as it could of so I was fine. But didn't chance it a second time.

Dinasour - loud but good! The picture we got actually has by 10 yo DS plugging his ears....lol

Kilmanjaro Safari - Try and go on early...they say the animals are moving around the most in the morning.

Since Animal Kingdom closes early often we go to Ye Haa Bob at Port Orleans after visiting the Animal Kingdom. This is the most fun place at Disney. Kids are welcome and this is family participation. http://www.yehaabob.com/

My DH always gets the wet chair! Last time, he asked to switch seats with me at the very last minute and he got soaked again! :rotfl:
It has more to do with weight distribution than it does with sitting in the "wet chair". There is no one seat that is predictively wetter than any other. But the weight distribution of the vehicle itself will largely dictate who goes backwards down the drop(s). Also, the last time we went, we got far wetter from the shooting fountains/water guns than we did from the ride itself. And there is no way to predict which seat will bear the brunt of that. But if you know it is coming, you might be able to duck or dodge that deluge. But not always.

Don't miss out on the walking tours.
This! Do NOT skip the Pagani or Majarajah Trails. We spend more time observing bats, gorillas and tigers than we do on the rides some days. To us, these trails are what AK is really all about and we devote a fair amount of time to exploring them to their fullest. You'll hear the occassional: "But we have a zoo back home." So what? Are the tigers at AK any less majestic or captivating simply because you town has a monkey house? Your daughters will love this part of AK, for sure.

I'm not seeing Flights of Wonder!!!:lmao: IMHO FoW is not to be missed. Whether or not you like birds, it's a wonderful conservation story, and your kids will love it. If you're a photographer, try to get chosen to sit on stage and photograph a raptor bird coming right atcha. Very cool, indeed.

Regarding CS meals, we tried Flame Tree and weren't impressed but we do love Pizzafari, which is tradition with us.

Best advice? Do NOT rush through this park. I don't recall how long you'll be in WDW but for us AK is a 2-day park, if not more. There is just so much to see, and if you blow through it you'll miss a lot. We'll do whatever rides we feel like (KS is repeated many times), then stroll through the different trails. As a fun thing to do, try and find the catfish shark. Cool, yet creepy!

Ride Safari first thing during EMH then head over to Everest. Both of those rides will be over an hour standby by 11AM. We are going to ride Kali last thing before we leave the park so we aren't walking around wet. We are using an afternoon fastpass. You can also ride Everest single rider if your family doesn't mind splitting up. One of the best shows at Disney if Flights of Wonder. That shows 3-4 times a day I believe - you can check the schedule beforehand. The walking trails are great too. Dinosaur is an ok ride to us and usually has no more than a 10-20 minute line (unless you are there during a really busy time).

We thought Flame Tree is just ok. If you are used to good bbq then you'll be disappointed in Flame Tree. Yak & Yeti counter service isn't bad.

Absolutely love Animal Kingdom...

People have already given a few good tips, but I will mention to not skip the trails...great change to see some unique animals and they are divided by continent.

River Rapids we always do at the end...

Late afternoon is great as the crowds are generally lower and ride wait is minimum.

I can't imagine that someone who did not like ToT would be anything but terrified on Expedition Everest. DH and I rode it on two different trips but we stopped because it left us feeling out of sorts.

I have ridden Kali at least 6 or 7 times. I always wear a poncho but each time I had water pour over me and would have been soaked without the poncho.

Keep in mind, depending on the time year you visit AK, you might dry off very quickly after Kali with the humidity. And it might be a good time to cool off if it's really hot out too.

We ate at Yak & Yeti and it was good! You could definitely share one meal between two people. Rather big portions.....

With EE, could I ride in the single rider line and get a rider swap pass for the rest if my family, or would I have to ride in the stand by line for that to work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter