Never been to a WDW resort, but....

i'd probably only check out other resorts as part of something planned. for instance, Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge, The Boardwalk at Boardwalk resort, etc... Just hopping from resort to resort to see the lobby, etc...might be a bit of a let down on a first time trip. The thing to keep in mind is that there is no resort to resort transporation provided by WDW. This means either having your own vehicle, a taxi or planning resort hopping in conjuction with going to/leaving parks.

it is definitely worth seeing the different resorts. just don't try to do it all in one day or do one every day, it would be a bit much IMHO.

WARNING!!! Going to resorts will give you on site fever! From the beautiful places to stay, the ease of transportation, extra magic hours, plus package promotions you will never stay off property again!

We were given a room for a week at bonnet creek it was beautiful, but we missed all the amenaties! We were sold on staying on property for life!

If I have dining reservations in another resort, of course I'll check it out. However, I don't go just to see the resorts. I love WDW, really. I'm trying to buy a DVC membership I love it so much. However, I also don't see the point of visiting resorts just for the sake of visiting. (unless I'm scoping things out for next trip). I mean, the resorts are nice, but it's not Vegas where the resorts themselves are attractions.

The Must See resorts for me,especially during the Holidays are:

1.Grand Floridian
2.Polynesian
3.Wilderness lodge
4.Boardwalk
5.Y&B Club
6.Animal Kingdom Lodge

All the other hotels are also worth going to,but these are the must dos.

I like going to see the different resorts, my wife hates it!!

So I found a nice "trick". I keep making ADR's at " must try" resturants that just happen to be at the resorts I want to visit. Then suggest "walking off" dinner around the resort.

Its a win-win DW gets to have a nice dinner I get to check out the resort.

There is a "downside" though. Two visits ago we had dinner at GF which wife always though looked stuffy. Then she saw the grounds and pool!! Guess where we stayed last visit...... Last visit had dinner at Poly guess where we are staying next trip..... Next trip planing on having breakfast at Chef Mickey's....

If there is one must visit resort at WDW its AKL. We still go back to AKL for dinner every trip. Boma is fantastic, the resort is amazing, and checking out the savannah is perfect!!!

I am a Big beliver In going to see diffrent resorts. Its a a nice break from the day, stop get a snack look around. Its awsome to dream, I could not see us staing anywhere else then POP, but Its wonerful to look around.

WARNING!!! Going to resorts will give you on site fever! From the beautiful places to stay, the ease of transportation, extra magic hours, plus package promotions you will never stay off property again!
If you want to know about onsite fever look at the DVC boards--after our 1st WDW trip with an onsite stay we bought DVC!

We've visited all of the resorts except for CSR and Pop.
Those are 2 great resorts, well worth a visit. The theming and landscaping at CSR are really beautiful.

Visiting the resorts for lunch or dinner is a wonderful break from the parks.

Niss,
There are many "layers" to Disney. A lot of what you get when you go there depends on your level of perception, even the way you perceive things. On a first trip, you may feel overwhelmed by everything so the thing to do is just slow down and take each day as it comes (with judicious advanced planning, of course). Disney is a feast for the eyes as well as the appetite, so you should just take time to drink it all in. The resorts are just an extension of the parks; in the attention to detail, design, the quality of workmanship, the extended theming and overall artistry of the places. You are going to be there long enough that you will be able to visit a resort or two and the fact that you have one child, not a snarling mass of arguing siblings:): will make it easier for you to get around.

We plan to visit 1 resort a day for dinner. We want to see as many as we can for future visits. We have small children so we don't plan to be at the parks all day anyway. Here is what we are seeing:

Sunday: AKL
Monday: CSR
Tuesday: BC
Wednesday: Poly
Thursday: POFQ and CR
Friday: WL

OK, I think I got it now...you're allowed to do the activities and dine at the restaurants even if you aren't staying on their property?
:cool1:
We have been to WDW about times but always stay offsite. We ONCE went to a resort (couldnt tell you which one because we wanted a quiet spot away from MK to give our baby a nap) He fell asleep on a dark and deserted beach that we go to by boat from MK. It was great!

OK, everyone! Thank you!

The beach you were on could have been the Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness. :)

When my son was 4, we stayed at the Contemporary Resort and took a boat from there to Fort Wilderness. In the middle of that resort, they have a barn with pony rides and a petting zoo.

After riding the pony and petting the animals (and washing our hands ;) ), we took the boat to the Wilderness Lodge to see it. We had lunch in the Quick Service there, Roaring Forks.

Really, the WL is awesome to see! I highly recommend planning an afternoon like this for your little boy; he'll love the pony. :)

We've been to almost all the resorts. Whether we stayed there, ate there or just went to look around.

Last year we went to look at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. WOW...really if you ever get the chance to go see it, it's wonderful!

This was us...DD and went to Disney alone last Thanksgiving and visited some of the resorts. Christmas decorations were beautiful and I completely fell in love with AKL. Working with a TA right now, hoping to take DH there for a couple of days next month...

DH and I visit at least one or two resorts each trip. Although we have a "home" resort where we currently always choose to stay, we do visit other resorts to help us eliminate any resort we may not want to stay at or add a resort that we'd like to stay at if not for all of our trip and least part of the trip by doing a split stay with our "home" resort.

I was wondering...we are going in November. Me, DH and DS4. What is everyone talking about when they say they visit different resorts on their trips? Seems that going hotel to hotel where you are NOT staying is meaningless. Obviously, I am missing something! What is there to do at various resorts and which ones are really worth the trip? TIA!!

Just a note - I wouldn't kill yourself trying to get to a resort or try to see all of them, but just check out a couple with easy access, like the ones on the monorail or the ones in the back of Epcot (you can go out the back entrance and walk to the YC/BC/BW area). Even if you don't plan on a meal (you could do table service or just grab a counter service meal or snack), you could take a nice break.

There will be some Christmas decorations at least by the end of your trip that you 4 yo might enjoy. GF has a life sized gingerbread house that your 4 yo might enjoy seeing. My kids also liked the gingerbread/chocolate displays at BC and BW. (These are just a few highlights - there are more.)

Also, while we would take Disney transportation to the resort (from the park that we were at which was in the same area as the resort that we wanted to visit), sometimes it is easier and faster (esp. with kids) to just walk outside the resort and get a cab (for $10 or $15) to go back to your resort (this was always after dinner). Obviously, if you are going back to the park, just take Disney transportation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter