Never been on a Cruise.

kstorms27

Mouseketeer
We are Disney World veterans and we are looking for something different to do on our next vacation. We are considering a 3 day cruise. We have never been on cruise before. It would be Me, my Wife, and our 7 yr old daughter. Can anybody help us out with some information? Where to find info, what to expect, and some things to do and what to expect in general. My wife is a little leery about being stuck on a boat for days. I'm on the fence. It seems like it would be a good experience but I fear getting bored. If anyone would like to share their thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated. TIA!

We are Disney World veterans and we are looking for something different to do on our next vacation. We are considering a 3 day cruise. We have never been on cruise before. It would be Me, my Wife, and our 7 yr old daughter. Can anybody help us out with some information? Where to find info, what to expect, and some things to do and what to expect in general. My wife is a little leery about being stuck on a boat for days. I'm on the fence. It seems like it would be a good experience but I fear getting bored. If anyone would like to share their thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated. TIA!
IMO, on a 3 night cruise, you won't get bored. There's lots to do, and you won't have time to do it all. We've done 10 cruises now, and still haven't done everything.

Also, remember, it's a vacation, you don't have to be "doing" something every minute. Just sit on deck and watch the sea go by.

Hang around here and read up on all the various threads, and you'll get an idea of what's involved. When you come up with specific questions yourself, ask away. That's what we're here for.

IMO, on a 3 night cruise, you won't get bored. There's lots to do, and you won't have time to do it all. We've done 10 cruises now, and still haven't done everything.

Also, remember, it's a vacation, you don't have to be "doing" something every minute. Just sit on deck and watch the sea go by.

Hang around here and read up on all the various threads, and you'll get an idea of what's involved. When you come up with specific questions yourself, ask away. That's what we're here for.

Thank you! We know nothing about the cruises so we will be studying these Boards a lot. And your right, it's suppose to be a vacation. Sometimes when we're at WDW we feel like we need to be in the parks or doing something all the time and I'm thinking a cruise would be a nice way to slow down on vacation.

Thank you! We know nothing about the cruises so we will be studying these Boards a lot. And your right, it's suppose to be a vacation. Sometimes when we're at WDW we feel like we need to be in the parks or doing something all the time and I'm thinking a cruise would be a nice way to slow down on vacation.
DCL has easily surpassed WDW and DL vacations for us because of the relaxation factor. We have 2 teenagers and have been on 4 cruises so far. Many people love DCL for the kids clubs, our kids have spent about 2 hours total in the clubs. We love DCL because of all the activities we get to do together, trivia, crafts, learning how to fold animals out of towels, bingo, etc. we turn our iPhones off and just hang with each other.

My 2 pieces of advice would be to consider the 4 night instead of the 3 night. It will give you 1 sea day which are really a great way to see all DCL has to offer, sea days are my favorite part of the cruise. Also, while on board you can book a "place holder" deposit for a future cruise. It only costs $250 and you can use it to book a future cruise, up to 2 years later and receive a 10% discount. Even if you're not sure you want to do another one, I'd do this. If you decide against it you can easily get your money back, as long as you cxl before 21 months is up. We didn't do this on our first cruise and regretted it.

We used to go to the parks a few times per year. Since our first 3 day cruise with Disney almost 6 years ago we have spent very few days in the parks. We just got off our 7 cruise last week and just booked our 8th for next summer. It is our vacation of choice and it was all because of that first 3 day.

1. Relax you are on vacation and you do not want a vacation from your vacation when you get home.
2. Since you are going on the shortest cruise, you will NOT get everything you want done.
3. The PP about booking a future cruise, is a good idea.
4. Checkout the Navigators you will find on this site to give you an idea of what happens on which days. Your DD will want to do certain things, DW and yourself will want to do certain things, and as a family certain things. Plan a day and "see" if it would work out for your family.
5. Do not plan your time down to using/being busy every minute of the day.
6. Did I mention relax.

That is how we dipped our toes into cruising, also. We weren't sure if we'd like being stuck on a ship and my husband gets really bad sea sickness. We did a 3 night Dream the first month it came out. It went by really fast. We never got bored and we didn't have time to do everything that we wanted to do/see. We never saw the whole ship.

If we were to do it again, we wouldn't have used DCL transport from our resort. We would have tried to board the ship as early as possible.

Definitely read this board for past trip reports, some really nice authors/pics in threads on here. Try to find a report that matches the ship and duration you are targeting.
If your child likes characters, let me tell you, the experience of getting meet and greets is so much better on a cruise than in the parks. Of course, there aren't the rides like you're used to, but there is something nice about having the freedom to not worry about ADRs, FP times, getting there at rope drop and the like. This is what makes it a little more relaxing for us versus the parks.

Thanks for all of the advice. I've been pouring over so much information that it feels a little overwhelming. With WDW, we've been there so many times that we can plan that in our sleep. But with DCL, it's a whole different animal. Any advice on embarkment, dining, and rooms would be of great help. Thanks!

Dining is pretty easy-- it is included and you will be informed when you board what restaurant to go to for dinner each night. There are a couple specialty restaurants that are an up charge , but IMO for a 3 night cruise I wouldnt do those. Inside rooms have the "Magical porthole". I love a verandah, but for a 3 night, which tend to be the most expensive per night, I would probably just do the cheapest I could get. Book EARLY, you can always cancel later (before you PIF date) and try to travel "off season" for best rates.

It's a very different experience from the park. I was really nervous my first DCL cruise because like you I thought - well, the parks have SO MUCH to do - what am I going to do on a ship for SEVEN days? (We took a 7 day).

After I got off the ship, it was "wait... I'm not ready to leave!!! Turn this ship around!!!". :-)

As others have said - I would start with a 4 day. Reason being you want a day at sea. There is so much to see and do on the ship and you can't do it while she is at port. So a 4 day is the ideal "starting ground" I think.

the biggest thing plaguing you will be the forced relaxation. Being a Disney veteran, there will be that bug in you saying "plan, plan, plan. Must plan. Must research. must plan". There are far fewer options to plan FOR. Few decisions to make. You have a few restaurants (and I advise against them on your first cruise) and maybe 1-2 port adventures, and that's about it.

You will find plenty to DO. And your planning happens the night before each next day.

you learn to relax. I didn't think I could. I was always on the move at the world. You will still be on the move on the ship - but you will spend less time feeling like you are late and more time feeling like you have it under control.

Note: we do both now. But we spread it out. One time at the park, another time on a cruise. Our next trip is a new one for us - Park to ship to park. We have learned from the ships to take the parks in a different light.

3 days is almost too short. I'd think a 4 day is a good way to dip your toes in. It's WAYYYY less crowded than the parks. In fact, Disney's crowd control is the best I've seen (although I'm waiting to experience Royal Caribbean) of the cruise lines. Accordingly, you'll be able to do so much more and be running around doing stuff so much that your head will spin.

3 day cruises are a tease. There is so much you can do but youre on vacay so you can manage your schedule however you want. But for those 3 days you could still check out the ship plan, a schedule for shows and anything going on, and if your going to get on land search the excursions and plan ahead. You're in for a treat, cruises are my favorite vacation and it is much less stressful then a WDW trip, no huge lines, no traffic getting places (except for dinner :D), and do things at your own pace.

Thanks for all of the advice. I've been pouring over so much information that it feels a little overwhelming. With WDW, we've been there so many times that we can plan that in our sleep. But with DCL, it's a whole different animal. Any advice on embarkment, dining, and rooms would be of great help. Thanks!

No matter the length, book a room that is within your budget. Speaking of budget, for DCL some additional costs to consider that are not included are the auto-gratuities for state room host, 2 servers, and head waiter. Don't forget parking/air port transfers. You may also need to budget some funds for a drink of the day, smoothie, gelato, or popcorn in the theater.

Assuming you are booking the Disney Dream which sails he most 3 day cruises. You have interior rooms, which have a magic porthole that can provide a realtime view outside the ship. There are ocean view room, some have smaller port holes in which to look out, and some of huge port holes which you can sit in while you look out. Verandah rooms, which are balconies. There are some really big balconies in the 5e category and extended open balconies which are 4D. Then there are concierge rooms which can include 1 bedrooms and the suites all of which provide a special lounge, guest services staff, private sun deck, and other perks.

Many people do not spend a lot of time in their rooms, instead doing activities, lounging on the sun decks, or on excursions in the ports. Since your 3 day cruise is really a 3 night cruise you may only really spend time there for showering and sleeping. The first day you won't be admitted to your rooms until 1-2PM, the second day in Nassau, the third will be Castaway Cay, and then the next morning you are asked to leave by 930am. (This is also why many people suggest at least a 4 day cruise since you get a bonus day at sea just floating around).

We spend a lot of time in our room. We enjoy sitting on the verandah balconies watching the water, reading, and generally being alone. And with a 2 year old, gives us a place to be while he naps. We also are back and forth throughout the day, either changing clothes, swim gear, dropping off purchases, or pictures from the animation classes.

I think once you begin formulating what type of vacation you want, then you can begin deciding what room type might be best.

The same can be said for room location. Generally the more you pay, the higher from the bottom you'll be. But if you have concerns about sea sickness you want to be as center and as low as you can be. Front rooms are close to the theater, spa, and outdoor adult spaces. Aft rooms are closer to all restaurants and most kid spaces (which are all on deck 5).

But if you have concerns about sea sickness you want to be as center and as low as you can be. Front rooms are close to the theater, spa, and outdoor adult spaces. Aft rooms are closer to all restaurants and most kid spaces (which are all on deck 5).

If you are apt to get sea sick, or if you are not sure if you are apt to get sea sick, I highly recommend talking to your doctor before you leave and asking for a prescription for Scopolamine patches. My DW gets very seasick, but she uses these and NEVER had a problem at all. They are FAR better than trying to live on Dramamine and work far more effectively than anything else i have seen. Most doctors don't mind prescribing them as they are generally not dangerous or addictive.

I just got back from my first cruise and did a post about it under Trip Reports. It was a 3-day New Year's Eve cruise on the Disney Magic. I was also a bit worried about getting bored as I'm very much a WDW park person. Unlike some others here, DCL could never surpass the parks for me, but we found the Disney cruise to be an equally special experience, just in a different way, with more emphasis on comfort and beauty.

The ship was gorgeous inside & out, the ocean & Castaway Cay were beautiful and soothing, and there was an indescribably peaceful, "everything is taken care of" feel on the cruise. Dinner is taken care of, almost everything on your trip has been prepaid. You don't have to fight heavy crowds. Your servers are eager to please. I thought in advance I'd probably be one & done after this cruise, but now I'm eagerly planning another for next year, & expect it to become a tradition. My 11 year-old son loved it, too.

I didn't feel 3 nights was too short, btw. We got on the ship around noon & hit the water slides- that first day felt very full, then there were 2 full days of activities after that. By the end of the trip we were both exhausted & satisfied. A 3-night cruise is perfect for an unsure 1st timer, as the lesser investment of time & money takes some of the pressure off. If you end up liking it so much you want more time, book a longer cruise for your 2nd trip.

I had the same reaction you did before my first cruise. I had been going to Disney World for 20+ years (sometimes twice a year) - knew what to pack, where to eat, what rides to do first, etc.

Cruising once you get on board is easier. No buses to catch, no driving, no parking, the furthest distance to walk is probably less than from your car to the castle in the Magic Kingdom.

They tell you where to eat dinner, for other meals the choices are - buffet, sitdown, or fastfood. When you board they give you the program for that day. Each night they give you a program of what is doing the next day - pick what you want to do, eat the chocolate on the pillow, go to sleep.

You are always surrounded by free food, soda, pastries, fruit that on our first cruise we never hit the paid for items (alchohol, fancy coffee, specialty drinks) so our only expense was the auto tips.

I recommend you hit the shows each evening on your first cruise, see the fireworks and pirate show.

I am another convert...
  • inside/oceanview cabins are cheaper than a road trip (accommodations, food, gas, kid's entertainment). It's strange that I can be feeding at countless restaurants while still getting closer to each port.
  • I brought some DVD's for my laptop.... never got to look at them. You might want to bring a book or DVD if you think you will find idle time
  • look the at old Navigators (the daily newsletter) to get an idea of what can fill your time
  • there's first run movies on the boats
  • no need to repack as you approach each port
  • do consider excursions/tours to maximize your limited time at each port.
  • pay attention to the number of port days vs sea days on the itinery. Port days will give you more variety than being on sea days alone.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback. Speaking to the ones who have recently experience your first cruise, did have any issues with getting sea sick? What was your opinions on how you felt on the boat once you were out to sea? I really don't want my vacation to become a nightmare and spend it all in bed. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter