Never been camping!

soniaz123

Earning My Ears
My husband would really like to camp at Disney as he has fond memories of it as a child. I have never, ever camped- anywhere. He mentioned it to some friends of ours and they would like to go with us when we plan to go Sept 2011 for 5 days. I hopefully have some basic questions that you frequent campers maybe can help me with. :)

We live in IL. He wants to rent a camper here (I think a 31') and drive it all the way there. Is that really practical? What about renting in the Orlando area and either driving our cars down or flying in? I am worried about the financial aspect (rental + miles + gas) and the time it would take to drive.

Can 2 families stay in one camper? 4 adults...3 kids (3, 5 & 9) years old. He mentioned also setting up a tent (which we dont have yet).

Having never been to a camp ground...where do you shower and clean up?

Is a golf cart really needed?

Would any of the cabins fit us all in?

TIA!

If you are going to rent I would rent from FL there are places that will actually bring and set up and break down for you!

depending on camper size and how close you like being with the other I would do a tent also.

As far as the cabins they sleep 6 max

They have comfort stations ( they are very nice and clean with showers and bathrooms) plenty of room to get dressed etc.

Thanks for the links! I am off to check those out. :thumbsup2

Another quick question though..doesnt a 5th wheel require a truck to pull it (I am thinking it is a gooseneck???)

TY TY TY

My sons have pup tents that they love to sleep in when we camp. They love to have space to themselves.

Maybe you could buy a small tent and have the children do some backyard camping this summer. Who knows? Maybe you will become a camping family.;)

We only live four hours from the Fort and it can take three two four tanks of gas round trip towing a camper. I would probably vote for renting in Orlando and look into a tent or two for the kids.

Another thing to realize when you're camping...it's a lot of work. We tent camped for years when the boys were little, and while I loved the time spent with my family and the affordability, it was always so much work for me! LOL Everyone else seemed to be on vacation but me. Finally, 5 years ago I decided I had enough and we bought a travel trailer, which we absolutely love. Still work, just not as much. :) I agree with another poster in that you should rent from the people in Florida and have them set up. The gas pulling a camper to Disney is enough to bankrupt anyone nowadays. I hope you enjoy your camping experience. Our 3 sons are adults now, but they still talk about the wonderful times we had, and now our 3 year old grandson is all about camping. Love it!

I totally appreciate all the advice. I am onboard with the idea of renting locally but my husband seems to thing it will be too expensive. He and the boys have been home all this week though and I think they are all going stir crazy (poor me has to work thru Fri) and the boys big and small are all grumpy. I will wait till January I think to start pricing it out hard.

If we do get a tent Im a little concerned with how we will get that to FW if we fly...same goes for all the "stuff" we might need.

If you plan to stay at FW will the busses (Magical express?) bring you out like they would to a Disney hotel? We had not planned to rent a car/van during our stay.

I've never used it, but I do know that the Magical Express will go to Ft Wilderness.

I totally appreciate all the advice. I am onboard with the idea of renting locally but my husband seems to thing it will be too expensive. He and the boys have been home all this week though and I think they are all going stir crazy (poor me has to work thru Fri) and the boys big and small are all grumpy. I will wait till January I think to start pricing it out hard.

If we do get a tent Im a little concerned with how we will get that to FW if we fly...same goes for all the "stuff" we might need.

If you plan to stay at FW will the busses (Magical express?) bring you out like they would to a Disney hotel? We had not planned to rent a car/van during our stay.

Some of the sites mentioned rent a popup for around $89 a night or less, comes with sheets etc, plates cups etc. you can always ship your stuff to FW ahead of time they will store it for you yes the (Magical express) will take you to FW

Not sure what kind of car you have but you can drive most tents are small now and compact we have a Chrysler Pacifca and we got a luggage bag on top that pretty much held everything but shipping is a good alternative too!

you may want to call FW and check on the shipping of things I know all the other Disney resorts allow it so I don't see why they wouldn't but double check on this:confused3

There is a laundry at each comfort station, so you don't need to bring a full measure of clothing for the whole trip. Change machines and laundry products are also available at each laundry if you don't want to pack a couple packages of Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets (serve as detergent and dryer sheet in one).

Comfort stations are heated or airconditioned as needed for the season. Shower areas are private lockable enclosures with shower and dressing space.

There are a couple of options for ordering groceries to be delivered to your site if you don't plan on eating out every meal. Others can tell you how to contact these places.

While we don't want the Fort to fill up so that we regulars can't get in, we will invite you to join us and experience the wonderful amenities of the Fort and the accessibility to the parks. Shhhh, don't tell anyone else. :goodvibes

I'll throw my vote to the rent local side. I live outside St Louis. It is exactly 1000 miles to the entrance to FW. Make sure you factor in fuel costs for renting locally. We are going down in May and it will be over $650 just for diesel fuel. I get about 10 mpg towing my 5th wheel. Motorhomes will get 5-8 depending on the type of engine and size.
Also, 5th wheels have the most usable camping space of any type of trailer. Mine is 31 ft long and can sleep 8. Most motorhomes are set up for couples. Newer ones have "bunk rooms" for kids but not a lot of good options for extra adults.

Get all your information together and do the math. I'll bet renting local is the better deal AND you don't have to worry about driving a HUGE box that you are not familiar with for 2000+ miles (round trip from IL).

I just looked at CruiseAmerica. From the StL area, for a "large" (31 ft, sleeps 7) Class C motorhome (kind with the bed over the cab), they wanted $903 for 7 days + 32 cents per mile ($640 from my house) + fuel ($1280 @ 5mpg) That's $2823 just for the rental. I'm in the wrong business.

Seriously though, I tow all over the country, either my 5th wheel or my racecar trailer and I've done it for years. Driving something that big for that long can be exhausting. If I had the option to arrive and camp without the hassle of getting there, setting up and tearing down, I'd jump at it.

I am totally hearing you! Its the men I have to convince. :rotfl::rotfl: I think my husband didnt figure out the price of fuel and the miles back and forth when he sent our friends the price list from the rental place. We sold our farm a few years ago but when I had horses I would pull our 3 horse trailer, I know we were only getting about 10mpg with it full...I didnt think an RV could/would get anything better with 7 people and all their stuff.

Seriously though, I tow all over the country, either my 5th wheel or my racecar trailer and I've done it for years. Driving something that big for that long can be exhausting. If I had the option to arrive and camp without the hassle of getting there, setting up and tearing down, I'd jump at it.

I am totally hearing you! Its the men I have to convince.
You think it is the romantic notion of doing the trip? Or the conquest of the challenge? Have them rent RV (the movie). I've been on trips that made the movie look like a cake walk. If you towed horses, I'm sure you've been there too.
Send me a pm and I'll call your husband and tell him of how I left for Daytona with a white F350 and came back with a black one. Only cost me $48,000. :)

j

You think it is the romantic notion of doing the trip? Or the conquest of the challenge? Have them rent RV (the movie). I've been on trips that made the movie look like a cake walk. If you towed horses, I'm sure you've been there too.
Send me a pm and I'll call your husband and tell him of how I left for Daytona with a white F350 and came back with a black one. Only cost me $48,000. :)

j

:eek: Oh, you can't leave us hanging...I totally want to hear that story.

:eek: Oh, you can't leave us hanging...I totally want to hear that story.
It's not that exciting... More depressing actually.

A little background. I had a 2002 F350 that had 178,000 miles on it. (fairly low for a diesel) I had "enhanced" it a bit. The motor was chipped, injected and exhaust'd to make 50% more power than stock. (diesels can do that fairly easy) I loved that truck. Some friends (my racing team mate and his family) in their motorhome and my family, in my 5th wheel, were going to Daytona to watch the Grand Am races in July of 07. We stopped in south Georgia on the way down. The next morning we hit the road for the last 200 miles. 10 miles in, I turned on the cruise control and the truck promptly shut off, doing 70mph, in the fast lane, passing a car, with lots of "Florida" traffic. I got to the shoulder without getting hit and tried to restart it. Cranked but wouldn't fire. The old 7.3 Ford diesels had a weak link called a CPS (Cam position sensor) It tells the computer the engine is turning so dump in fuel. They notoriously go bad, at the wrong time. I keep a spare ($60) in the glove box. (I was on my 3rd one in the truck) I figured that was the problem. Put in a new one and ... nothing. Cranked but no start. My friends had stopped in their motorhome so we all sat in their MH while I waited for a wrecker. When I called for the tow, I told them I had a 10,000 lb 5th wheel AND a dead 7500 lb truck so bring something BIG!. 90 minutes later, a flat bed, roll back shows up. I asked which half he was going to take since truck and trailer weren't going to fit. His response was, "I can't tow that thing". You think?
I walked back to my truck to look at the GPS for a truck stop, figuring they would have something big enough to tow me. While in the truck I thought I'd try starting it and it fired right up. Nice.
We finished driving to Daytona. I didn't touch the cruise or turn off the truck until we were at the cg. Monday morning the truck made it's first trip ever to the dealer. I told the service manager what the truck did, what I had done to enhance the truck and said don't give it back until you know why it died. He said since it didn't turn on the check engine light, he wasn't optimistic.
I wandered around the car lot while I was waiting for my friend to pick me up and told the salesman my story. I also mentioned I was probably trading it when I got home since my wife was now scared to ride in it. He responded with, "Want to trade it now?" I figured I'd play along and said "Give me what it's worth and sell me a new one for invoice? Sure" He said, "OK, what do you want for your truck?"
After he made the required walk to "check with his manager", he came back out and said, "What color do you want?"
I told him he had to swap my 5th wheel hitch into the new truck, but I'll take a black one.

Picked it up the next day after I got the call from service that "there is nothing wrong with your old truck"

BTW, I hated that black truck as much as I loved the white one. Traded in the 08 2 months ago on a shiny new 2011.

j

It's not that exciting... More depressing actually.

A little background. I had a 2002 F350 that had 178,000 miles on it. (fairly low for a diesel) I had "enhanced" it a bit. The motor was chipped, injected and exhaust'd to make 50% more power than stock. (diesels can do that fairly easy) I loved that truck. Some friends (my racing team mate and his family) in their motorhome and my family, in my 5th wheel, were going to Daytona to watch the Grand Am races in July of 07. We stopped in south Georgia on the way down. The next morning we hit the road for the last 200 miles. 10 miles in, I turned on the cruise control and the truck promptly shut off, doing 70mph, in the fast lane, passing a car, with lots of "Florida" traffic. I got to the shoulder without getting hit and tried to restart it. Cranked but wouldn't fire. The old 7.3 Ford diesels had a weak link called a CPS (Cam position sensor) It tells the computer the engine is turning so dump in fuel. They notoriously go bad, at the wrong time. I keep a spare ($60) in the glove box. (I was on my 3rd one in the truck) I figured that was the problem. Put in a new one and ... nothing. Cranked but no start. My friends had stopped in their motorhome so we all sat in their MH while I waited for a wrecker. When I called for the tow, I told them I had a 10,000 lb 5th wheel AND a dead 7500 lb truck so bring something BIG!. 90 minutes later, a flat bed, roll back shows up. I asked which half he was going to take since truck and trailer weren't going to fit. His response was, "I can't tow that thing". You think?
I walked back to my truck to look at the GPS for a truck stop, figuring they would have something big enough to tow me. While in the truck I thought I'd try starting it and it fired right up. Nice.
We finished driving to Daytona. I didn't touch the cruise or turn off the truck until we were at the cg. Monday morning the truck made it's first trip ever to the dealer. I told the service manager what the truck did, what I had done to enhance the truck and said don't give it back until you know why it died. He said since it didn't turn on the check engine light, he wasn't optimistic.
I wandered around the car lot while I was waiting for my friend to pick me up and told the salesman my story. I also mentioned I was probably trading it when I got home since my wife was now scared to ride in it. He responded with, "Want to trade it now?" I figured I'd play along and said "Give me what it's worth and sell me a new one for invoice? Sure" He said, "OK, what do you want for your truck?"
After he made the required walk to "check with his manager", he came back out and said, "What color do you want?"
I told him he had to swap my 5th wheel hitch into the new truck, but I'll take a black one.

Picked it up the next day after I got the call from service that "there is nothing wrong with your old truck"

BTW, I hated that black truck as much as I loved the white one. Traded in the 08 2 months ago on a shiny new 2011.

j

Yeah, I think I would have been afraid to get back in that truck too. I am glad everything worked out well in that no one was hurt when your truck shut off. :goodvibes Do you like your shiny new 2011 truck any better?

Do you like your shiny new 2011 truck any better?
I only have 2000 miles on the new one, but I love it. It makes as much power as my old 02 after I did all the work to it. And it gets over 2 mpg better than my 08 ever did. I bought a 4X4, long bed dually crew cab this time instead of a 2WD, short bed single rear wheel crew cab. This truck is wider, taller and heavier than the 08, makes 50 HP more and still gets better mileage.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter