Never again!!

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
Just back from 9 days at the World. Now I know that the weather was unseasonably hot (some days it felt like we were walking through HELL) so there is nothing that can be done about that. But this is the first year we have been to WDW during free dining and we will NEVER again attend during a free dining time. In fact, if they were to extend free dining during a trip we had already planned I would reschedule. The amount of people there was INSANE. We always go during "off" seasons and have been during the beginning of October and have never experienced waits of more than about 20 minutes with plenty of fast passes. This trip there were two hour waits with fast passes either gone or for a return time close to park closing by mid-morning. We didn't even attempt TSM.

That's not to say that we didn't still have a great time - but I much prefer the less crowded - just stroll onto any ride you want times of the year. Food and Wine Fest was also much different than in the past. In fact, we left the park with our 8 year old as fast as we could as evening approached because there were so many drunk, foul-mouthed, picking fights types of people.

We stayed in an ASMu Family Suite and LOVED it. Hghlight of the trip (at least for me) was getting to perform in one of the American Idol shows (I still haven't shut up about it - I'm driving my family crazy).

We just came home MUCH more tired this time around which I'm sure was due to the combination of the heat and humidity and the larger crowds. The free dining was nice though but I don't think it was worth it enough for us to brave the crowds in the future.

WOW...I thought that this time of year is usually slower. I know we went in July/Aug and it was hot and very crowded- we expected that, but when we went last Sept..it was hot but not bad crowd wise - no more than 20 min. We go in a month...I hope it slows down crowd wise, but I hope some of the heat stays so we can hit up the pool!

Sadly, over time the parks will get more crowded more of the time. That, simply put, is the goal of any amusement park - to be at capacity as much as possible.

So Disney started by finding ways to keep people engaged on the weekdays, then late at night and early in the am, now during low and shoulder seasons. This isn't just a free dining phenomenon, it is also evidenced by
- magic hours
- more hotels and parks
- f&w festival (and other such promotions)
- ticket pricing

It is sort of the punishment for success - something like the F&W festival gets great (and deserved) early reviews - then over the next few years, combined with other promotions, it gets to be an insane event that is a victim of its own popularity.

Meanwhile the disney beancounters are behind the scenes, counting away...

We went the second week of FD, August 22-30 and it was not bad at all. Of course, it was very HOT, but the crowds were not that bad. The waits for the big attractions were long, but if you got on them in the first hour of park opening, there was very little wait-TSM being the exception. We rode Splash Mountain and BTMRR over and over for about an hour in the a.m. We booked a BB for the exact same trip next year-same time.

I don't know if Food and Wine started before you went, if so that is probably why it was so bad-a double whammy of F&W and FD.

Reading this post makes me very thankful for our past trips that were indeed low crowd trips. October has become very popular. I don't mind the crowds due to the many trips we have taken, but I do think it's time to re-evaluate going in the "slower" season. I am going to keep a watch on the upcoming weeks to see how what the crowd reports are saying. In October 2007 Disney was very busy, but I never felt that we waited a long time in any lines. The rides with long waits we got a fast pass for. We took one day to head over to Islands of Adventure and you can definintely tell the difference in popularity compared to Disney. I have seen everthing in the parks. Guess I will focus more on some non-traditional touring!! Segway tour & Bay lake boating here I come! LOL :)

We were there September 18 - 22 and we bascially walked on to every single ride with the exception of Soarin' (20 minute) and TSM (50 minutes). I think we timed it well by arriving before the F&W started.

Well reading this post makes me scared of my trip:scared1:we are booked from Nov 12-22, I do understand that it is in the end of Jersey week (I think) and the it is a "holiday" weekend-- but when we booked it wasn't free dining then I got a pin code, great but then they annouced that it would be free dining from now till almost January 1--UUUUGHHHHH-- whatever,last time we were down it was HHHOOOOTTTT as an oven! So I guess that I can be thankful for little things!;)

Free dining has brought alot more people out then in the past. Seems like disney is going to keep on doing these promotions to keep the park filled.

I've seen posts saying it's been slow, and others that have said that it's been crazy busy. I guess it's what you're used to...:confused3

I've seen posts saying it's been slow, and others that have said that it's been crazy busy. I guess it's what you're used to...:confused3

it was both. we had moments of walking around wondering where all the people went, followed by moments of :eek: there they are!

we've gone the same week - first week in October - every year (except 2001) since 1998. This year was the same as all the others .. early in the trip is less crowded than later. Oct 1-2-3 weren't bad at all, but after that, things picked up and got busier closer to Columbus Day.

And it's not only free dining creating the crowds -- it's fall break season in much of the south!

I thinks it's safe to assume that 9 days at WDW included two weekends which accounts for 4 out of 9 days which accounts for approx. 45% of ones time at WDW. it has always been our experience that hte weekends are indeed the busiest days of the week. maybe the overall impression of one's WDW experience is impacted mostly by weekends since it is typical for us to remember the beginning and end of events. A 9 day trip most likely started on a weekend and ended on a weekend.

Free dining ended on Oct. 3. You would think the crowds would be lighter now. I bet a lot of people are there for the Food and Wine Festival. We were there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 3 and Epcot was really busy. However, with FP, we rode Soarin' 5 times in one day.

We were there from Sept 27th through Oct 2nd and I have to agree with the larger volume of people. I'm comparing this to our last October trip when there was no free dining and I noticed longer wait times for rides and an extremely crowded Food & Wine Fest on Wednesday @ Epcot.

We went during free dining in 2006. I personallt did not find it to be bad. Of course maybe I just didn't notice because we always seem to be there at busy times:confused3

Free dining ended on Oct. 3. You would think the crowds would be lighter now. I bet a lot of people are there for the Food and Wine Festival. We were there from Sept. 28 to Oct. 3 and Epcot was really busy. However, with FP, we rode Soarin' 5 times in one day.

Sorry, free dining continues through check in dates of 12/17. ;)

We were there 9/25-10/6 and didn't think it was very crowded at all. We really didn't wait more than 10 minutes for anything. Soarin was a longer wait but we got FP and must have gotten lucky other times with only waiting about 20 minutes. We thought it was great!

Did not notice the wait times like this during Sept 26 - Oct 4th:confused3 We thought it was very manageable even for first timers.

We were there the same dates, and I agree. FD "crowds" didn't effect us, either. We only waited more than five minutes for Kilimanjaro, and that was after noon. Everything else was the time it took us to walk to the boarding area or five mintues.

I went the first week of free dining and the only issues I had was the buses that the drivers crammed with people, strollers, and electric vehicles. Many times people just coming up in whell chairs and all their family memebers got to board first even though many of us waited almost an hour to get on. At the Poly there was a groupd of blind students who had been waiting for a bus and a 20 year old walks up and thought he would cut in. Trust me when I say he didn't get in. Mothers were standing on the buses with small infants in their arms. Many bus drivers did not even stop properly at the stop signs. I also stayed at the ASMu and the cast members gave out hulu-hoops to the kids to use/ throw in the food area. Almost fell on one. When I complained the cashier said the boss makes the rules and it happens all the time. Also people very pushy at the soda fountain. One father had his kids cut in line. Needless to say I stepped in and yelled at the kid and the father. Free food and heat make people forget their manners. I would rather pay for food and see manners.

Whoa! Thanks for the insight. I figured Food & Wine = loud drunks, but that mixed with free dining must just pack the parks. I guess it's more manageable if you're a group of adults, but with little ones, that can be a pain we want to avoid. Thanks for posting, it's makes us all the wiser. :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter