neutral density filters

I am thinking about getting a graduated ND filter. I want opinions on if a one stop or two stop version will be more useful as I cannot fit both in the budget. I would probably be using it most in situations with the sun low in the sky if that helps.

i second cokin, they had a kit for a while with i think 3 in it that was pretty reasonable but was sold out when i got mine( thinking the kit was at adorama.) so i only have one, the nd4 ( think that is the name , the 2 stop gnd one) i got the wide angle holder for my biggest lens and just hold it( just the filter) in front of any smaller lens since i use it on a timer and tripod (could attach step down/up rings but guess i am lazy). i read a couple places if on a budget go with the 2 stop so i did

Well, I went with a Cokin P system. I stopped by a Ritz that is going out of business and got a Quantaray branded Cokin adapter and 4x graduated ND filter for $25. I had to pick up the adapter ring from Adorama for full price, but shipping was free. I also picked up a Sigma 28-80mm for $20 and a Disney Pix Print for $18 (really a Lexmark).

At Adorama, I picked up the adapter ring, an 8x ND filter, a hood for the filter kit, and a blue/red polarizing filter that was on clearance.

Nice shopping spree! :cool1:

Be sure to let us know how the system works out. As a result of reading this thread I took a look at the system online. Will be curious to see how it works.

[QUOTE a Quantaray branded Cokin adapter and 4x graduated ND filter for $25.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, was that for a glass or acrylic filter. Have been looking a the "P" system holders, etc., on a ebay site and the filters there are acrylic (they are listed as plexiglass but that is a trade name and they would actually be acrylic). Prices are definitely right.

[QUOTE a Quantaray branded Cokin adapter and 4x graduated ND filter for $25.

Just curious, was that for a glass or acrylic filter. Have been looking a the "P" system holders, etc., on a ebay site and the filters there are acrylic (they are listed as plexiglass but that is a trade name and they would actually be acrylic). Prices are definitely right.[/QUOTE]

if they are plastic they must be knock offs. cokins are glass... from the cokin site
"Which material are the COKIN filters are made of ?

It is important that a filter matches the optical precision of a lens. COKIN filters are made of the material best adapted to the filter’s ultimate use. Some are made of mineral glass and most
«A» & «P» filters are made of CR39* Organic Glass which is today a reputable lightweight and unbreakable optical material also used for ophtalmic glasses. Organic Z-PRO & X-PRO filters are made of a higher quality «3 rd generation» CR 39* specially developed by COKIN."
imo the system works great...it's easy to use, the filters are durable( husband sat on and broke my filter case the first time i used it so i have just had it wrapped in a dhl bag in my case and it's still like new 9 going on 2 yrs). the cokins are inexpensive. i'd get the real ones, just since it's a filter you want it to be good. they have been around for ever.

It is glass. The label says, "Quantaray by Cokin" but the actual product does not have Quantaray anywhere on it. The model numbers are even the exact same as Cokin. The regular price before the clearance 30% was taken off was still less than the exact same thing that B&H or Adorama had. I almost got a star filter for it at Ritz, but I already have a star filter, so I thought it would be a waste.

This is the polarizing filter I got on clearance at Adorama. http://www.cokin.com/filtres3.html?=#171 Seems like an interesting toy.

I just moved down here to Orlando for about 3 to 6 months from Indiana and am going to check to see if any of the Ritz stores are still in operation here.

Didn't know there were even any here until I saw your post and saw where you were from FL, then checked the store locator but I don't know if they have closed or not. Need to drive to several and check.

It is glass. The label says, "Quantaray by Cokin" but the actual product does not have Quantaray anywhere on it. The model numbers are even the exact same as Cokin. The regular price before the clearance 30% was taken off was still less than the exact same thing that B&H or Adorama had. I almost got a star filter for it at Ritz, but I already have a star filter, so I thought it would be a waste.

This is the polarizing filter I got on clearance at Adorama. http://www.cokin.com/filtres3.html?=#171 Seems like an interesting toy.

sorry i was thinking about the ebay plastic ones and guess i didn't specify that. i just heard someplace how astronomical( don't remember it of course now, it's math:rotfl:) the figure for knockoffs sold as "the real thing" is on ebay and i had that in mind

Me and the family are planning a road trip down south to South Dakota's Badlands and to Yellowstone this summer (yeah, its south for me ;)), and I was thinking I would like to do some day time shots of various water features along the way. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for neutral density filters, and in particular favourite brands and strength of the filter. How many stops should I be looking at?

Thanks for any help!

If you are going to be shooting during daylight go no less than a 1.8(approx 6 stop filter). I returned mine to get a 3.0(10 stop filter). Be aware that the latter will be too dark to autofocus through and you will have to take the filter off to compose.

Do you have a polarizing filter? It has multiples uses, including as a ND filter.

-Paul

A polarizer can take up to two stops of light and as such is not much of a ND filter. If moving water in daylight is your goal I agree with some of the posts that it will take at least 1.8, especially if you want to avoid the diffraction of small apertures.

I often stack a polarizer on the ND filter, knowing this is not a good thing to do but it really helps with reflections on water and is easily worth the extra image degradation. Until the camera manufacturers give us ISO down to 1 or 2 (which would be simple and almost free) I guess we are stuck using ND filters. My Canon G11 has a built-in 8x ND filter which I highly suspect is just ISO 10 in disguise!

Thanks for the responses - especially on filter strength as that was something I was wondering about. I was thinking I would want the 1.8 or 3, but wasn't sure.

I do have circular polarizers for the two lenses I use the most, and they are mid-range quality, so they don't actually stop too much light.

The Cokin system (and boy, it looks like a system!) looks interesting, so I'll check on that some more.

Bob, when you say you stack yours, are you using Cokin as well?

Bob, when you say you stack yours (filters), are you using Cokin as well?

No, just plain 77mm threaded filters. I always carry the polarizer and then toss the ND in the bag when I think I might want to play with some motion blur. Here is one that used both filters, the rust colored rocks on the right had a lot of glare without a polarizer:

pearson_3065_59_61_62_63_64.jpg

A 1.8 is sometimes not enough by itself but is about right with a polarizer, a 3.0 is about right by itself but may be too much with a polarizer. Buy both! ;)

A 1.8 is sometimes not enough by itself but is about right with a polarizer, a 3.0 is about right by itself but may be too much with a polarizer. Buy both! ;)

It's as if you are reading my mind! Best to be ready for all circumstances ;).

Gorgeous shot, I like to motion in the leaves, it makes a soft frames for the water and rocks making them really stand out. It really focuses the eye on the waterfall. Thanks for sharing it.

This is exactly what I have in mind for using the filters on our trip (we'll have to see if the execution matches the vision).

I was reviewing my shot list this morning, and I noticed a lot of the shots are ones that would benefit from a ND filter. Normally, I just use my polarizing filter for these type of shots because I'm cheap, but with as many shots as I have that could use a good ND filter, I figure why not buy one.

So...I'm looking for suggestions. What specific ND filters do you use and how do you like them. I think I'm looking to go for a .9 filter, but I am not positive at this point. Keeping in mind that I am cheap (and a poor student so I can't afford some $100 filter), do you have any suggestions for filters?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter