Neuropathy in hands from pushing wheelchair

oynk

Mouseketeer
I have problems with neuropathy in my hands and feet and I have noticed that it is always significantly worse when I am at WDW. I have always attributed it to the fact that I am not generally good about taking my medication when my schedule is off on vacation; however, this trip I have been really diligent and it is still bad.

I am now thinking that it may be the result of pushing my daughter's wheelchair all day. Does this sound likely? Does it happen to anyone else? Any suggestions to avoid it or make it less bothersome?

Thanks

If you don't use gloves when pushing, I would start with using them. I would get the ones that are used for bicycling that have padding in the palms. That might make a big difference.

We have never used gloves ourselves, but a lot of people do find them helpful.
We do a lot of variations of hand positions on the push handles. If you are always holding your hands in the same position, the pressure is always in the same place.
By varying the angle of the wrist and position of the fingers, it's possible to put pressure on different parts of the hand.

Also, doing hand stretching exercises periodically while you are not pushing the wheelchair is helpful. Here is a link to some good ones:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...ercises-for-preventing-carpal-tunnel-syndrome

There are actually 3 exercises, the 'next' button is below the picture.

I've pushed a manual wheelchair for about 5 trips. Our trips were always a week or longer. I'm not in the best of shape, but I have always found alternating rides, exhibits, shows, eating, parades, and fireworks as my best friend. I would get a rest with a show and then I could on to the next ride and so forth. We almost never went on two rides in a row.

Padded gloves sound like a great idea. Exercises sound good, too.

I have problems with neuropathy in my hands and feet and I have noticed that it is always significantly worse when I am at WDW. I have always attributed it to the fact that I am not generally good about taking my medication when my schedule is off on vacation; however, this trip I have been really diligent and it is still bad.

I am now thinking that it may be the result of pushing my daughter's wheelchair all day. Does this sound likely? Does it happen to anyone else? Any suggestions to avoid it or make it less bothersome?

Thanks

I have pushed a wheel chair for parents, dh, extended family and found the same thing. I didn't want to say anything to let them know, but the pain was debilitating. I have herniations from a car accident so the spasms and pain will flare. But the grasping and putting weight into the push requires tune ups to my body when I get home. I can smell the Tylenol rub lotion as I am writing the post. I do have lidoderm patches for on the back of my shoulders and near the sciatica. That gets me through the trip.

The worse for me Is the brachial nerve compression affecting the neck, shoulders, arms and hands, ouch! Just because you can walk doesn't mean you can push.
I am not sure what would help, except a different handle, like a shopping cart, or sitting behind and peddling...neither of which would happen.

We have never used gloves ourselves, but a lot of people do find them helpful.
We do a lot of variations of hand positions on the push handles. If you are always holding your hands in the same position, the pressure is always in the same place.
By varying the angle of the wrist and position of the fingers, it's possible to put pressure on different parts of the hand.

Also, doing hand stretching exercises periodically while you are not pushing the wheelchair is helpful. Here is a link to some good ones:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...ercises-for-preventing-carpal-tunnel-syndrome

There are actually 3 exercises, the 'next' button is below the picture.

All very good advice. In particular, making sure to vary your hand position can make a big difference.

I don't have neurpathy, but I do have very bad wrists and thumbs. I managed an office chair swap at a large hospital back in October. In two and a half days we swapped 180 old chairs for 180 new chairs pushing them accross campus. I probably moved 80 chairs myself. Big mistake, I totally messed up my right wrist and thumb and I have been in varying degrees of splints for the last 12 weeks. Right now I have a lovely thumb spica splint up above my elbow and I cant rotate my wrist at all. I have two more weeks to see how this has worked and will have surgery if it doesn't.

My point . . . take care of your hands and wrists! Rehabing a screwed up hand/wrist is painful, time consuming and expensive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter