Netbooks

Verity Chambers

<font color=blue>He's delicious! Rather like <font
I'm thinking about getting a net book, I will only really need it for surfing the web, so am not bothered about a laptop, not got wireless either, so need to look into it. Any thoughts??

Hi Verity
DH bought me an Aspire One 110 and he had extra memory put into it, infact I am on it now! I took it to WDW with me and I use it every day, the best thing is that it's really fast, compact, and I can fit it in my handbag!! :)

I have an Aspire one as well and love it - Im on it now as always seem to be

Its great for web surfing/Dising/msn/hotmail etc

I have the Aspire one netbook. Mine has windows XP. I love this little thing.

This is wirelss....think someone ask that question?

Charleyann

This is a video cast from Stuff TV http://stuff.tv/Video/Free-on-contract-netbooks/Vidcasts/ that gives a little idea about 3 of the netbooks available via contracts.

I have the original netbook the Asus EEE 701 which started manufacturers producing netbooks as they realised there was a good market in them. Originally they were produced in USA to try and get every child a laptop at an affordable price.

My system uses the Linux system which is a little bit different to Windows but totally easy to use. I went for this system as I didn't want the added expense/worry of having to watch out for internet viruses/worms and the like. Linux only has a handful of viruses written for it, Apple about 20 or so and Windows millions. I also just really wanted something I could blog on, surf and use Skype when on holiday.

Now there are very many on the market and you are spoilt for choice. I would suggest though that you do get one that does have wireless built in as this will be handy when you are on your travels. Orlando Airport has free wi fi, there are many wi fi access points (you have to pay for) but are obviously easier to connect too. You can get the wi fi dongles as well for paid access.

The thing to do is to go in somewhere like PC World and actually use the keyboard and mouse, as some are smaller than others and could be more fiddly to use.

My May edition of Stuff magazine has the Asus Eee PC 900 in position 4 out of 10 in their top 10 laptops, the Samsung NC10 at 6 and the Acer Aspire One at 8. If I find my June copy I will see if the positions have changed. If you buy a laptop mag there should be some reviews of all the netbooks available.

I have the Aspire one in pink and it's great. I only use it for surfing the internet and it does the job beautifully.

The one i thing i dislike about my netbook is that its gets hot, where my laptop doesnt burn my legs lol.

I was reading this thread earlier (dangerous!) and idly (?!) doing some research on the models mentioned (thanks, Wicket). Then, I just happened to be in Comet this afternoon ;) and found they had the Asus eeePC 900 on offer for £180! :cool1: I knew that was a good price because I'd been looking at various website prices earlier.

I dithered for at least a minute ;) before deciding to buy it, and am DISing on it now - so far, I'm really impressed :woohoo:

I have an Asus EEE 900 and I love it. I got a external CD drive and installed windows XP on it, however it can be a tad slow... I use mine for internet and lectures (I'm faster at typing than writing by hand), and have found that the battery life isn't all that great on mine, but it gets me through a 2 hour lecture fine...

I've got the Samsung NC10. I love it - it has Windows XP which is going back a step as I'm used to Vista which I think I prefer on my laptop. But best of all, it's super fast, it fits in my bag and the battery lasts over 8 hours.

I was reading this thread earlier (dangerous!) and idly (?!) doing some research on the models mentioned (thanks, Wicket). Then, I just happened to be in Comet this afternoon ;) and found they had the Asus eeePC 900 on offer for £180! :cool1: I knew that was a good price because I'd been looking at various website prices earlier.

I dithered for at least a minute ;) before deciding to buy it, and am DISing on it now - so far, I'm really impressed :woohoo:

:thumbsup2

The dis will make us all bankrupt one day :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2

The dis will make us all bankrupt one day :rotfl2:

LOL! Too true :teeth:

I must admit that my purchase wasn't really quite so much on impulse as it sounded. I have been thinking of getting a netbook for a while (that's why I was reading the thread and checking out the web) but I am usually the type who'll take at least six months to research everything ... and end up too confused and overloaded with information to ever feel confident about making a decision! ;)

My main reason for getting one is to take travelling and keep in touch with family :thumbsup2

I'm using an Acer Aspire 150 (got it yesterday, after grumbling to DP for weeks :thumbsup2) I think it's great I got it on sale in Comet for £229!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter