Nervous about 4/10 Transatlantic Cruise

disneyfan444

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone:-) This may seem like a silly post but I was wondering if someone could calm my nervous jitters about my upcoming cruise? I will be going on the 14 night Eastbound transatlantic cruise that embarks on 4/10with my family (all adults)...I have been on two 7 night and one 4 night Disney cruises in the past but never a trip or cruise of this length. Is there enough to do for that length of time? Also, are there really rough and scary seas along the way? Six days with no land is a little overwhelming!! :confused3 Plus, I am kind of a workaholic and don't relax well... Can't you tell? :) We will be flying back from Barcelona..another first for me (never had a flight over 4 hours)! Someone please remind me of the fun of this trip and give me advice on how to calm my nerves?! I'm having a non-adventurous moment! Thank you in advance :)

we did a 12 night one time - I totally loved it & never got bored. I also have a very hard time relaxing, I always thing i "should" be doing something -
but you know, you'll step on board & feel like 'yeah I'm here - let the fun begin'

My BEST vacation ever (or at least the best less than 3 months long) was our 17 day trip--3 at Disneyland and 14 bringing the Magic home in 2005. It was the ONLY time I felt it was time for a vacation to end; I honest felt that I'd been on the ship long enough. Not too long, but long enough. On a 7 night cruise, it's too short; anything less is not nearly enough!

On 14 night sailings...new menus and themes each night, new and special entertainment, etc.

The flight home won't be any fun, but it's sort of a necessary evil. Plan on napping on the plane and arriving home as refreshed as you can.

And...I'll be on the ship with you!

I'm on the same cruise and can't wait. It's going to be a lot of fun. We were on the WBTA last time DCL went to Europe. We had such a great time we booked both TA cruises this time!!

Disney makes these cruises very special with a lot of extra activities and surprises. Normally we just kind of float around and go to activities "whenever". Last time there was so much I wanted to do, I actually had to have a written schedule!!

As far as the seas, who knows?? It's still a couple of weeks away and a storm could certainly stir up the waters. We loved just looking out at the really blue ocean last time. Our water was calm like a lake. We aren't prone to sea sickness so that's not a concern for us. If things get really bad, there's always ginger ale, crackers and green apples. So we're not going to spend time worrying about something we can't control.

Hello everyone:-) This may seem like a silly post but I was wondering if someone could calm my nervous jitters about my upcoming cruise? I will be going on the 14 night Eastbound transatlantic cruise that embarks on 4/10with my family (all adults)...I have been on two 7 night and one 4 night Disney cruises in the past but never a trip or cruise of this length. Is there enough to do for that length of time? Also, are there really rough and scary seas along the way? Six days with no land is a little overwhelming!! :confused3 Plus, I am kind of a workaholic and don't relax well... Can't you tell? :) We will be flying back from Barcelona..another first for me (never had a flight over 4 hours)! Someone please remind me of the fun of this trip and give me advice on how to calm my nerves?! I'm having a non-adventurous moment! Thank you in advance :)

Here's the link to the meets thread for your sailing: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2407911
I suggest chatting on there and getting to know some of your fellow cruisers. Have a great cruise.

I have never been on a cruise (first one is after you make it to Barcelona!) but the key phrase you used was workaholic...let me encourage you. While there may be a lot of things to do on the ship, don't forget to do something for yourself...remember the days before work? What did you like to do? Did you read? If you did, then find some good books you always meant to read and take time out to just lay on the deck and take in a good book.

Bring along a deck of cards, maybe you'll find some fellow guests to wile away the nights playing Hearts/Spades/War/...or if you're like our family, late night Farkle tournaments or Rook! :) Bring a journal along..write down some thoughts..let this be a check in on your life...work takes a lot out of us..sometimes we lose focus, days like these can be used to adjust or fine tune our days. Enjoy! Get a massage, get up early for some sunrises...make sure to be there for the sunsets...and relax!

Tara

I'm afraid I can't reassure you about the seas because it was rough going out last time (although we were on the one coming back and it was smooth as glass). But I can assure you there will be plenty to do and six days at sea is soooooo relaxing (although it got to the point where I got very excited to see another ship off in the distance as we were alone most of the time). I actually had a panic attack when we pulled out of the last port for the sea part because I have three jobs and was freaked out for being out of contact with land that long other than a hopefully-working internet connection. Once that was out of my system, I had a blast! I thought I would be kissing the ground at Castaway Cay but I was sad the cruise was over. Spa, meals, or just relaxing on deck, as well as the tastings, seminars and other activities kept me plenty busy.

I'm on the EBTA also and really looking forward to it. If you think you won't have anything to do, go to the Bound for Barcelona site in the cruise meets and do some reading.This is the longest I'll have cruised also. Believe me, if Disney doesn't have enough for you to do just wait until you see what this crew is planning: book exchanges, Christmas planning, Knitting, scrapbooking, Board games, canasta and other card games, official group photographs, pj party breakfasts, group lunches, Secret Mickey (like Secret Santa), 3 FE groups, Mickey tag, lanyards so that everyone knows who is who, room tours, the list just goes on...

You are definitely not alone in your fears. I am scared too!:rotfl: My biggest fears are rough seas, illness, and missing my husband:rotfl: I know my girls will be happy at the kids' clubs and I do worry about boredom...I am going to bring books to read and I bought a new video game for the Nintendo DS for ME:woohoo: I think being "bored" (let's call it....RELAXED):goodvibes is part of what will make the cruise so great. By the time you are ready to be done with "relaxing" you will be at the next port of call and you'll be energized and ready to go!:goodvibes

I was on the TA's last time Disney did them in 2007.

Honestly activity wise there's loads to do! I had a little ADD so can very rarely relax and found plenty to do!

As for the days at sea, I wont lie I was so glad to see Tenerife when we arrived there lol. You do go a little stir crazy but not enough for it to ruin your trip.

Weather wise we had 2 really awful days on the EBTA (in May 07) and none in the WBTA (Aug 07) but they were unexpected. We were told May was a brilliant time to sail the Atlantic and August an awful time so it is very unpredictable. To be honest I didn't find it too much of an issue. Formal night with the boat moving all over the shop was an adventure. Just make sure you take sea sickness pills just incase. I'm sure youll be fine though!

I agree a few people on these boards in 2007, did say they thought the weather would be better in Spring in the Atlantic, and not so good in the fall.

I did post then and repeat it now that 'weather wise' statistically speaking the Spring crossing has a far far higher percentage change of bad weather and the fall WB back a far less chance.

Some people feel that the Atlantic is linked to the Caribbean weather and they will be the same, this isn't true. The Atlantic being a large Ocean takes a long time to warm up, and there are gulf streams like rivers working in it, but very soon after leaving the Bahamas area, you are out of these warm rivers in the ocean.

I really hope the people on the forthcoming crossing have a fantastic time and please do not worry, the ship puts on so much good quality entertainment and dinners, and the value per day is very good.

But as I posted in 2007, and also repeated ever since 2010 schedules came out, this cruise is not for people on their first cruise, but the seasoned cruiser who has sea legs, hopefully there will be a great crossing but if you have 5>6 days at sea in a row, you cant get off.

Now no one can predict the weather nowadays, but coming into April we have lots of bad rain and storms predicted here, we even have snow forecast in the UK. Some if this is coming from the North, but its Atlantic storms causing our bad weather this week. With only 15 days odd before this crossing the weather needs a sharp change to warm up. This appears unlikely at the moment.

Friends just up from Spain on vacation have had good weather.

As said in my opening, I can understand people getting mixed messages, as there have been a lot of posts, saying with authority, the weather would be better in Spring which isn't statistically correct.

LOL Andrew, I'm not planning on showing your post to my other half as I think hell go into panic mode again. He's doing the WBTA as his first ever cruise mainly because I wanted to do it! I guess that's love!

I think the message about the weather being better in Spring actually came from the Captain who had sailed the Atlantic a few times with a different cruiseline. Whether this was personal view or not will be interesting to see what they say on this one!

I have no interest in cruises that cross the ocean due to a lifetime of listening to my dad's army stories about crossing on the ship to get to Europe and back. All the stories were about how seasick everyone was.

I like the short cruises that are closer to home.

We are on the same cruise and the only concern we have is weather. We hope it's warm enough to be at the poo each dayl. As for activities we did the 15 day EBPC in 08 and we never felt bored. Actually we could have stayed on board longer.

LOL Andrew, I'm not planning on showing your post to my other half as I think hell go into panic mode again. He's doing the WBTA as his first ever cruise mainly because I wanted to do it! I guess that's love!

I think the message about the weather being better in Spring actually came from the Captain who had sailed the Atlantic a few times with a different cruiseline. Whether this was personal view or not will be interesting to see what they say on this one!

WBTA has a better and good chance of good weather, last time it had a great crossing, and the Ocean has warmed up a bit by then, August and September are good months to cruise the Atlantic, is just the last bit in the Caribbean region that has a chance of hurricanes.

But April time always has prevailing winds and storms across the Atlantic from USA to Europe, so has a high chance of bad weather, which did effect the EBTA in 2007.

I have no interest in cruises that cross the ocean due to a lifetime of listening to my dad's army stories about crossing on the ship to get to Europe and back. All the stories were about how seasick everyone was.

I like the short cruises that are closer to home.

In saying that, I get sea sick when Dads boat is tied up inthe harbour, so it really makes no diff for lost of folks where they sail, Lynne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter