• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Neptune Festival, Virigina Beach anyone?

CMW0021

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about doing a long weekend to Virginia Beach for the Neptune Festival. We have 2 boys, 8 and 6. I have never been to VB and would appreciate any insight. The lodging is already taken care of. However, family friendly preferably non-chain restaurants recommendations would be helpful. Further insight and pro's and con's of the Neptune Festival? Is it so packed that it's not enjoyable? I know there is a tunnel that can make a traffic nightmare, what time would you recommend arriving in the area on a thursday to prevent the traffic back up. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I don't know anything about the Neptune Festival, but we are moving to the VA Beach area in a few weeks. When we were down looking for a place to live we stumbled upon a great barbecue place that was really good and inexpensive- here is the link to their website. I'm really looking forward to going back after we're settled in! :goodvibes

http://www.whitnersbbq.com/

I work in Virginia Beach and very much second Whitners. I go there at least once a week for lunch (and everyone knows when someone's gone to Whitner's at the office because you smell like smoke/delicious BBQ afterwards). It's a counter service type of place with about a dozen tables.

A good breakfast place is Citrus, but it is almost ALWAYS super packed.

Rigoletto's is a good Italian bakery/café, but they also serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

All three of these places have been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Another place that is close to the oceanfront and is delicious and family-friendly is Beach Bully BBQ.

The Neptune Festival is pretty popular, but I don't think it's crazy packed. Since Virginia Beach is a tourist destination and there's just about something going on every weekend down there, it's always crowded. But not overwhelmingly so. If you're in walking distance to the boardwalk from your hotel, that'll save you a lot of parking issues. Most of the parking garages on Atlantic Ave. fill up fast and most of the independent lots charge $20-$25 to park (and squeeze every car in like sardines). There's better parking options along Pacific, but you may have to walk a little further.

What direction are you coming from? I live in Hampton, but drive to work a few times a week (I also work from home as I was doing that drive 5 days a week for years. Ugh.) Thursday afternoons are just as bad as Friday afternoons around here. Usually back-ups can start happening at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel around 2 p.m.-3 p.m. and get worse as it gets closer to 4-6 p.m. Usually by 7-8 p.m. everything has cleared up (unless it's been one accident/disabled vehicle after another).

If you take the Monitor and Merrimac tunnel, it's usually the best of the two tunnels (shipyard traffic can start around 3-4 p.m., though), but then you have to either go through the Downtown Tunnel through Portsmouth/Norfolk or over the High Rise Bridge in Chesapeake to get to Virginia Beach. Both of which have their fair share of congestion every day too (usually 3:30-7 p.m. is the worst). Oh, there is a new South Jordan bridge that's a toll bridge that you could take. They mail you a $3 bill if you decide to take that, though.

Are you up for renting a helicopter? ;) I'm kidding! Some days are better than others, in regards to traffic. Here's hoping you can get to Virginia Beach as smoothly as possible!

Oh, and if you're coming down 64 East sometimes there's a few mile backup around Ft. Eustis Blvd. in the afternoons. There are back road type ways that are easy to get around if you do some advanced planning. Once you pass the Camp Perry exit on 64 East (a few miles before the Busch Gardens exit), I would suggest turning your radio to 1680 AM. It's the most up-to-date with traffic issues and maybe have a few alternate ways to travel in case there's major issues on the route you were planning to take.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, my kids love barbeque! I will definitely bookmark all of these. We are staying right on the beach at one of the hotels, have to dig out the name, so thankfully, parking will not be an issue. We are driving from Pittsburgh, so not 100% sure our route. My friend has family there and she was talking about the tunnel under the water? About a 7 hour drive. I initially was going to leave first thing in the morning to get there by 3 ish. However, our school is pretty strict about unexcused absences. I might take them out early from school or leave right after and get in later in the evening to avoid the majority of the traffic. Although another day at the beach is definitely more tempting!

It's not just the tunnels in Hampton Roads that are the issue. If you are taking I-64, which is the easiest route from I-95, you will probably be stuck in traffic from Richmond on. I live in Richmond and my parents live in Chesapeake, which is the city next to VA Beach. I have, literally, been on I-64 east at most every time of day and, in the summer, there is really no optimum time to travel, unless you are willing to travel very late (we've been stuck in traffic at 10pm) or very early (we've also been stuck in traffic at 6am).

That being said, there are many other routes to take to the beach that will cut down on time spent in traffic but will add miles to your trip. Rt. 460 will cut out the tunnels, but you will have to go over the high-rise bridge in Chesapeake.

We got married on the beach in VA Beach last summer and there is a seafood restaurant that my husband and his groomsmen all ate at that was supposedly very good. Its right on the water, north of the strip. I can't remember the name of it right now.

Have a fun trip!

There is a place called Rudees On the Inlet that is at the north end of the strip. We lived there 10 years ago and liked going there. That might be what the PP is thinking of.

Here is their website:

www.rudees.com

Neverlandclub23 and other PPs were spot on about the traffic. Plan that out carefully and come back here to ask questions. The tunnels control ALL LIFE around here. I agree that coming in from 64 East, the Monitor Merrimac Tunnel is your best bet.

The Neptune Festival used to be the festival for the "locals". 20 years ago it truly was, now however, VA Beach has gotten so big and is quite focused on being a family friendly tourist distination, that the Neptune Festival to me, is lost in the pack of all the weekly events that go on down there. Is it as crowded as Disney in prime season? No, but it is crowded. The garages fill up and yes, the lots do charge $25 bucks to park. So have that planned out.

It is cool to go to though. There is a huge art and craft show with vendors, on the boardwalk. There is a sand sculpting contest, which to me, is the prime reason to go down there. Awesome folks what they can do with sand. There are usually street performers and music too.

As far as restaurants, I just went to Dockside http://www.docksideva.com/ordereze/default.aspx They are on the Bay Side in Chick's Beach. VERY good and fresh Lynnhaven River oysters. Yummy!

I was born and raised (and still live here) in VB and I agree with everyone! Beach Bully is one of my favorite BBQ restaurants. Beach Pub off of Laskin Road is a nice little locals place for some really good seafood.....less than 5 minutes from the oceanfront. Doc Taylor's off of 23rd street is awesome for breakfast and they also have lunch. Very good food and very affordable. Tautog's which is right next door is also really good for dinner. Catch 31 at the Hilton on 31st street has a nice outdoor bar/restaurant but it's usually pretty crowded but they have outdoor firepits you sit around to eat that are really cool and there's usually bands/steel drum bands playing. Waterman's on 5th street is also really good and they have an outdoor seating area if you want to eat outdoors. They have really good food. The Neptune festival does draw crowds but I go every year and really enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter