• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Neighbors' kids

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
What would you do if neighbor kids kept coming into your front and backyards, garage, and even walk into your kitchen uninvited. These kids are not friends of my dd and they are very pushy and will not leave when asked.

Call the police? :confused3

I can not imagine, you as the adult, allowing children to simply walk into your home!

Lock all doors or screens to my house first of all and keep my garage closed (even if it was an inconvienance).

Then depending on the ages of the kids I'd talk to their parents and tell them that their kids are wandering into your home and you'd appriciate if they instructed them not to. If it came down to it I'd tell the kids that they are not welcome in your home, and push them out.

Don't ask them to leave, tell them to leave, they are tresspassing.

This happened to us once.
When we were moving the neighboors almost walked into our brand new carpeted floors with their MUDDY DOGS!!!!

I would simply call the police or tell them to leave or else your calling the police. Or make up a witty excuse for them to get off your property like "We just put down fertilizer and its poisionous so you walk further and you could die"

Zurealsoon said:
Call the police? :confused3

I can not imagine, you as the adult, allowing children to simply walk into your home!
Ha! I didn't really allow them to. They just walked straight through the house and out the back door! I couldn't believe it!

I really do lock all the doors immediately upon entering the house but, dh was going in and out that day and had the doors unlocked. I asked him, if he told the neighbor kids if they could come over...he said he hadn't.

I have similar problems with neighbors' children. They have never entered my home, but I had a deck built this summer that blocked them from coming into my yard. I came home one day and they were SITTING ON MY DECK!!! When I asked them what the heck they were doing there, they said they CLIMBED UP MY DECK because they like my back yard!!!!! They have also torn up my fence (they were practicing karate and knocked out slats) and have destroyed my banister on the front porch. The parents are USELESS--the dad stands in MY front yard to pitch the baseball to his son who then hits the ball TOWARDS my house!!! The police have advised me to post no trespassing signs. :rotfl: It's worked SO WELL (NOT!!!) Police have talked to them and it has made no difference whatsoever. They said that unless I SEE the kids damaging my property and call them so they see it, there's nothing I can do. It doesn't count that they ADMITTED they tore up my fence. There's a lot of issues here!!!

I feel your pain.

We have a bit of a crazy neighborhood. Keep telling them no! Sometimes it's hard to be more persistant than they are. My kids have learned to tell the neighbors kids they are busy if they can't or just don't want to play. It was hard at first for my DS but he got used to it. Good luck.

Lil_Tink said:
This happened to us once.
When we were moving the neighboors almost walked into our brand new carpeted floors with their MUDDY DOGS!!!!

I would simply call the police or tell them to leave or else your calling the police. Or make up a witty excuse for them to get off your property like "We just put down fertilizer and its poisionous so you walk further and you could die"
Tonight, the kids were messing around with the Christmas decorations and taking the dog for a poop. I asked them to leave. Then told them to leave numerous times. These kids just stood there, in the middle of my lawn with our Santa :rolleyes2and their dog, giving me mean looks and being defiant. Asking why, etc...

The police have been to these neighbors home several times for "domestic disturbances"... there is no way I'm going to go knocking on their door. So, I said that if they didn't leave, I'd call the police. So, of course, the mom comes ringing our bell and griping about me telling the kids I'd call the police. Her kids are scared of police...blah blah blah....(I'm thinking, that's not my fault). She'd never threaten to call the police on our kids...to which I said that our kids aren't allowed in the streets and other peoples yards unsupervised and/or uninvited. etc...

sleepyone said:
Tonight, the kids were messing around with the Christmas decorations and taking the dog for a poop. I asked them to leave. Then told them to leave numerous times. These kids just stood there, in the middle of my lawn with our Santa :rolleyes2and their dog, giving me mean looks and being defiant. Asking why, etc...

The police have been to these neighbors home several times for "domestic disturbances"... there is no way I'm going to go knocking on their door. So, I said that if they didn't leave, I'd call the police. So, of course, the mom comes ringing our bell and griping about me telling the kids I'd call the police. Her kids are scared of police...blah blah blah....(I'm thinking, that's not my fault). She'd never threaten to call the police on our kids...to which I said that our kids aren't allowed in the streets and other peoples yards unsupervised and/or uninvited. etc...

Wow... I would just (as other posters have said) continue to say no, Hopefully they will get the hint eventually. Cant you wait until they walk onto the wrong persons lawn who has a pit bull...

Lil_Tink said:
Wow... I would just (as other posters have said) continue to say no, Hopefully they will get the hint eventually. Cant you wait until they walk onto the wrong persons lawn who has a pit bull...
There isn't anyone with a big dog around here. Theirs is the biggest and, it's a lab or something.

If you have a video recorder...

Next time they are on your lawn record yourself telling them to leave, they are not welcome on your property. Record their reactions. If you don't want to do it then make sure you do it next time they allow their dog to poop on your yard. That could be a fineable offense.

Wow that totally sucks!!! One time we were having a problem with a neighbor and my step dad just went out there with one of his guns(not with the intention to shoot, harm etc.) and told them straight that it was his property and if they came again he would be protecting his property since the police were doing nothing. They called the police then and the police said he did nothing wrong and he was allowed to be on his property with a gun.... hmmmmm we never had any issues every again. ;)

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:

Next time they are on your lawn record yourself telling them to leave, they are not welcome on your property. Record their reactions. If you don't want to do it then make sure you do it next time they allow their dog to poop on your yard. That could be a fineable offense.
That was going to be my suggestion. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I would video and photograph everything. Then is the police refuse to intervene, I would let the parents know they're going to court for vandalism and trespassing.

Skylarr29 said:
Wow that totally sucks!!! One time we were having a problem with a neighbor and my step dad just went out there with one of his guns(not with the intention to shoot, harm etc.) and told them straight that it was his property and if they came again he would be protecting his property since the police were doing nothing. They called the police then and the police said he did nothing wrong and he was allowed to be on his property with a gun.... hmmmmm we never had any issues every again. ;)

:rotfl:

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:

Thank you so much for that idea! Thank you, thank you, thank you!:hug:

Skylarr29 said:
Hmmm....I wonder if a blue squirt gun will have the same effect...:rotfl2:

tell us how it turns out, it really is important to get these things taken care of ASAP

we had a similar problem...in my schools the middle schools leaver earlier than the elementry schools. So i called my mom to have her drop off a costume for my play. She was off that day and drove home to find the 5th graders who's bus stop is in front of our house having a catch....

.....with my dad's shoes. The apparently had been doing this for awhile, just nobody had caught them. My parents spoke to the parents who were of no help so due to the fact that when at the bus stop they are in school hands, we spoke to the school, who had the bus stop switched and had them suspended from the bus for a few weeks.

when they got to middle school with me it was bad, i felt like their moms half the time telling them not to distroy others property. They were horrible we had our bus stop switched every month.

i have a one year break...next year, they are in the high school....unless they get held back..... :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that you need to take whatever action is necessary to keep those kids away from your house when you have not invited them, and are not supervising them.

It is a real liability issue!!!

A six year old messing around on your propery, in your garage, even in your home, etc... Who knows what could happen. And, yes, you could be held completely liable. :earseek:

Don't be shy about this.
Take whatever action necessary to take care of the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter