neighbors cats

Interesting since some feral cat associations regularly trap the cats, neuter them and then set them free again. Cats being outside is normal in some areas in the United States too.

We only had outside cats growing up and everyone except one was hit by a car. The other cat DISAPEERED and was never seen again. My parents seem to think she either died in the woods or was kidnapped.... I have only had inside cats in my adult life. It is healthier for them and safer. People have the choice (as sad as it may be) to have their cats outside, but is it in NO WAY good for them EVER and every Vet agrees.

Ginna - I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience with outdoor kitties. I can see where you developed your point of view that it "is in no way good for them". However, I think it depends on how you define "good for them". I agree that a cat that never leave the house is safer than a cat that goes outside. The same could be said for a child - but if you tried to keep a child inside your home all the time you would likely be guilt of neglect. Outside cats have more stresses, but they also have more experiences. I can't imagine depriving my cats of their chance to hunt, or sleep in the sun, or chase butterflys in the grass

Interesting since some feral cat associations regularly trap the cats, neuter them and then set them free again. Cats being outside is normal in some areas in the United States too.

The groups I know of who do that do it because they consider it the lesser of two evils. They know that many of those cats don't have any hope of being adopted (and there simply are not enough foster homes for all of them), but they don't want to euthanize them. By spaying or neutering them and then setting them free again, they allow those cats to live out the rest of their lives (however long that may be) without increasing the feral cat population. However, those groups also adopt out the kittens that they catch rather than releasing them, and they require that those kittens become indoor pets. That may not be the case in all areas, but it is everywhere I have lived.

I'm from the UK too and concur that it is the 'norm' for cats to go outside here. However that said it annoys the hell out of me that people feel if you don't like their beloved kitty using your flower beds as a litter box there must be something wrong with you!:sad2: I do understand that cats can climb walls etc so its difficult to 'control' them but where I live is quite 'open plan' gardens and yet if my dog does it's business on someone's garden I am liabel for prosecution....yet my neighbours cats can make as much mess in my garden as they like and I can do nothing about it, Oh and I know EXACTLY which cat it is and where it lives but when I went and compalined the owner just shrugged at me and said 'what do you want me to do about it?'....well and apology might be a start. :mad:

Oh and don't even get me started about what the little £$%^&*() do to the songbirds we get in our garden. My DD is a keen bird watcher (as is my DH and we were thrilled to have some blue **** make a nest in our nest box this spring. DD spent hours watching the parent birds flying in and out of the nest box and we were even privileged enough to see one of the babies fledge....it was wonderful. But two days later we found FOUR dead young birds in our garden with next door's vile creature playing with one that was still (barely) alive. My DD was heartbroken. Again the stock arguement is that they are just following theri instincts...maybe so but my dog's 'instincts' would be to rip the cat's throat out....so is it okay if I let her do that then? :confused3

Saying this, it doesn't mean our cats physically LIVE outside, they only go out for exercise and a little play around our garden, they LOVE lying in the sun, but they know not to go far.

This might be why your cats are tolerated more in UK. Most of the gripes here aren't about innocent kitties frolicking in the sun. The gripes are about someone else's damn cat tearing up gardens, scratching paint on cars and crapping/peeing in kid's sand boxes.

I have heard the wildlife idea before and that could well be a big reason for the difference in attitude between the two countries. Certainly, if there are no dangers to the cat outside then I don't think it's irresponsible to allow the cat to be outside. I can only speak about cat ownership in the US, having never owned a cat in another country. In this country, it would be quite difficult to find a vet who would recommend keeping a cat outdoors. Most vets do consider it irresponsible to do so in the US. I have no idea if that's because of the natural predators, cars, or something else altogether. (Though when I was studying to be a vet it was a combination of all of those things that caused most people to recommend only having indoor cats.)

In addition, I think it is irresponsible to allow pets to roam at will and damage others' property, especially in an area where it is prohibited by law. If there is no such law in your area and your neighbors don't mind your cat wandering onto their property, then that wouldn't be a factor for you.

Here in the UK a cat has the legal right to roam, so cats on the street are the norm. Maybe though that as cats here are usually outdoor cats with a home, they do not roam at will, they play and return to their home for food and sleep. I also think the term outdoor cat is different to what we have here. My cats, like Hogwartsdropout said, although they go outside as well as inside they are fed inside and they usually sleep indoors either in my bedroom, on the landing or downstairs. I mean, my cats are so soft that I have 4 rabbits. They have a hutch, but our garden is secure and when we are at home the rabbits are allowed to hop freely around the garden. The rabbits actually chase and tease the cats! In fact, when the rabbits are out of the hutch one of the cats usually goes and sleeps in there out of their way!!

This might be why your cats are tolerated more in UK. Most of the gripes here aren't about innocent kitties frolicking in the sun. The gripes are about someone else's damn cat tearing up gardens, scratching paint on cars and crapping/peeing in kid's sand boxes.

Amen. No one loves cats more than I. My 18 y.o. adored, albeit demanding cat is proof of that. :lovestruc We've always lived in suburbs and keeping her indoors is the way to keep her alive, so that's what we did. Just a few years ago, her "sister cat" died at 16. For all those years, WE took care of their poop and pee. No, it was not a task we delighted in, but as pet owners, it was OUR responsibility. Let's not even get into the hairballs and vomit. :lmao:

But that's where I draw the line. I do not want anyone else's cat crap in my flower beds or bark mulch. It's just not something that gives me joy. About 2 years ago, the cat of the neighbor behind us started coming into our front yard and using it as his litter box. Once the habit was there, he wanted to do it all the time. I went to their house and told them it had to stop or I'd have to trap the cat and turn it over to the humane society. And I meant it. (And you can do it here if the cat roams loose.) He had the nerve to say to me, "What are we supposed to do? Keep it in the house? We have hardwood floors." I don't give a rat's hiney about your floors, bud. Your cat = your cat poop.

I told him that I had never once left my cat's poop in his yard and I expected the same courtesy. I won't get into what the nut said next, expect to say he told me it was okay if we killed the cat. :eek: I told him I didn't want to kill the cat. I just wanted the pooping to stop and for him to be a responsible pet owner. For about 1 1/2 years, it stopped. I figured the cat was inside, given away, or a goner. Then it started again and I confirmed it was the same cat.

I went back over with the cat poop in a ziplock bag and rang the doorbell. My plan was to tell him that if it continued, he'd get every bit of poop back daily, plus my cat's as well. But they weren't home. So I left the poop at his front door. I kid you not, as I was doing this, that *^%$#@ cat was next door, crapping the the neighbor's flower garden. :headache: I guess the owner got the hint from the ziplocked poop, because the cat stopped coming over.

My property doesn't need cat crap, thanks so much. If it did, I'd take my own cat's and spread it about. There is a reason it is called PRIVATE property. Sure, they can let their cat outside, provided it does not come on to my property. Fine and dandy. My cat bothers no one and I want the same from others. I take care of her poop and her poop alone. My child doesn't play in it and I don't want her stepping in that of any other cat. :rolleyes1

ETA: About that nut job's wood floors....When we were building a house, we could have opted for wood floors. But the 16 y.o. cat had just died and we saw what happened in the last few months when she had kidney failure. She had lots of accidents. If we'd had wood floors, they'd have been ruined. Knowing our other cat was getting quite old and she might face the same in her last days, we passed on wood floors. The poor cat wouldn't be able to help it, and I didn't want us to be frustrated if our floors got ruined. We figured we can put them in later. The cat meant more to us than the floors. Clearly, this guy couldn't say the same.

i have an indoor cat. when i adopted her, i had to sign papers saying she would be kept indoors. i live in an apartment, and i would never let her run around outside. we don't have a yard, only a parking lot. i'd be too afraid she would be hit by a car.

when i was younger, we had an outside cat. he got in a fight iwth another cat and had to have his eye removed. nope. not letting my cats outside. they could be run over, get in a fight with another animal (cat, dog, whatever.)

i'm also afraid my cat (who is very friendly) might walk up to some mean person who doesn't like cats, and she would get hurt.

my kitty stays inside, and she's in very good shape, so yes, she gets a lot of exercise and we feed her healthy food on a regular schedule. saying indoor cats don't get exercise is just silly.

Yes they will. If the animal is loose, animal control will assist. A loose cat is just as capabe of contracting diseases (like rabies) then any dog. It's a health issue. Once again this depends on jurisdictions.

Any animal not under control is considered a stray and can be handled as local laws and ordinances provide. You would be hard pressed to find a ordinance/law that specifically excludes felines from it's wording. The neighbor's animals may be returned to them once they've been cleared and the owner's may be cited for not controlling their animals. In some rural areas it is permitted to eliminate them as long as it is humanely done.

We have no leash laws for cats where I live. I guess, some places do, but not here.

I've had cats my entire life. I have two tonks, that never go outside. They have no survival instincts and are too trusting.....

Now, I also have two barn cats. They are there for a purpose. We've had cats at the barn for years. Most have lived very long lives. They are fed daily, given vaccinations, etc...just like my house pets. They are fat and happy. I think, the only complaints we'd have about them...would be from the mice and snakes....

How would you suggest people manage their cats? they are not the same as dogs and in my experience it is normal for them to wander free.

How about they keep them in the house ?? We have one person in the neighborhood that lets their cat run loose and it pisses everyone off- darn cat pees and craps all over everyones gardens and yards!
We had another neighbor that let their cat roam all over and after it bit my mother one day I got a trap and trapped it and brought it to the animal shelter. Some neighbors are talking about trapping this cat that wandering around now to get it out of here too but their owners MIGHT go get it if it was missing....

I'm just curious. What do ya' do about the squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, rabbits, deer, birds, etc? I mean, where do they pee and poop?:confused3

Cats normally bury their ..uh...waste. I have dogs too, but cats are much more...uh...sanitary. I also don't have to worry about cats chasing cars, the postman, etc.

We have outdoor cats (in our neighborhood). Until I owned Tonks... our cats came and went as they pleased (we have a pet door). I've never had a problem with the neighborhood cats. Maybe, I'm just lucky.

Anyone who thinks that its a-ok that their cats poop in other people's gardens/flowerbeds because they bury it has obviously no idea about toxoplasmosis. I had to completely give up my raised beds and flower beds because of the neighbor's outside cats (outside because "who wants a pet that craps in their house!?"). I don't want that in my food or in the dirt that my toddlers (or I) dig in. Especially at the concentration level that I have, since I have the 'neighborhood litterboxes'.

Anyone who thinks that its a-ok that their cats poop in other people's gardens/flowerbeds because they bury it has obviously no idea about toxoplasmosis. I had to completely give up my raised beds and flower beds because of the neighbor's outside cats (outside because "who wants a pet that craps in their house!?"). I don't want that in my food or in the dirt that my toddlers (or I) dig in. Especially at the concentration level that I have, since I have the 'neighborhood litterboxes'.

I was making the point....that many animals leave waste in yards and gardens....not just cats. Actually, the nastiest animas I have, that visit me, are Canadian Geese. We definitely watch where we step!!!!;)

Not every cat does this. I once had a cat that knew virtually nothing but the outdoors but still would be anxiously waiting at the door to use the litter box. (He discovered it because of our indoor cats.) I'm not saying that he never went outside but we were in the country so I doubt that it bothered anyone.

In our area, we have a lot of rabbits that eat people's flowers and ornamental plants not to mention any attempt at gardens. Ironically someone suggested cats to control the rabbit population.

One way to keep cats out of your flower beds is to lay down chicken wire on top of the dirt (or just slightly under the surface). Cats hate walking on chicken wire. Granted it puts the onus on you and not the cat owners, but it's easier than 'herding cats!':lmao:

I'm just curious. What do ya' do about the squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, rabbits, deer, birds, etc? I mean, where do they pee and poop?:confused3

Cats normally bury their ..uh...waste. I have dogs too, but cats are much more...uh...sanitary. I also don't have to worry about cats chasing cars, the postman, etc.

We have outdoor cats (in our neighborhood). Until I owned Tonks... our cats came and went as they pleased (we have a pet door). I've never had a problem with the neighborhood cats. Maybe, I'm just lucky.

If I had a deer for a pet I'd keep it in MY yard to poop not let it wander over into my neighbors yard to poop and pee. Why do people pick up their dogs poop while out for a walk? I do not understand how anyone can justify their pets pooping or peeing anywhere but their own yard. I dont care if its a cat, dog, chipmunk, bird, if its your pet keep it in YOUR yard to do its business.

Cats normally bury their ..uh...waste. I have dogs too, but cats are much more...uh...sanitary.

Tell that to the stray cats that leave their waste on my small patch of grass in front of my house!:laughing:

Cat pee STINKS on warm days right by my front door!

I live in a city, so we don't have rabbits, deer, chipmonk poop to deal with. As for the squirrels, I have NO IDEA what that looks like! :rotfl2: I mean, we have tons of squirrels, but their poop must not stink and it must be really small, because I can't say that I've ever seen it.

When the cats come near my door, my dog sees them (glass door) and goes crazy barking. And they don't run away! They just stroll and look right at him as if they know he is behind glass and can't do anything to them. So I go to the refrigerator, find the rottenest piece of fruit or veggie, and throw it near the cat to scare them off. They aggravaate me so much. Even with that, the same stray cats still come around almost every day, making their way down the block.

I agree that cats roaming around can be a problem.

One way to keep cats out of your flower beds is to lay down chicken wire on top of the dirt (or just slightly under the surface). Cats hate walking on chicken wire. Granted it puts the onus on you and not the cat owners, but it's easier than 'herding cats!':lmao:

Moth balls also work for a variety of animals....pets or not.

It seems to me that cats might be smarter than some of our posters here on the Dis. Some of these stories are hilarious... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter