Negotiation on purchase of a golf cart

laceyinwonderland

DIS Veteran
Slightly OT, but money saved is disney money, right? :)
I am in the market for a golf cart that our family will use to piddle around the subdivision and drive back and forth to our HOA pool. Ive done some online shopping and feel like I know whats the normal price range, and I know what my budget is.
I plan to purchase from a local used golf cart dealer who offers warranties and free delivery. My question is this.... Is it normal to try to negotiate and offer lower than asking price? I wasnt sure if golf carts would be similar to used cars (lord knows they cost about the same lol) and if this is common practice? Ive never purchased anything from a dealer, so I want to be prepared, obviously get the best deal, but not be insulting. If negotiating is okay, how do you know what is a good offer? 10% lower than asking price, etc...?
I would really appreciate advice!! TIA!
:disrocks:

not specifically a golf cart, but I did negotiate when purchasing our john deere gator from a dealership. I researched prices so I had an idea of what was a good deal, but I also figured in what I would need to pay for insurance each year as part of the cost (we have golf cart owners around here that use them strictly for tooling around, and our insurance agents point out that coverage is advisable). I got the price down somewhat but the real savings was getting them to throw in a 2 year extension on the warranty that INCLUDED pickup and delivery-which if you don't have a trailer ends up costing quite a bit if you have to take it in).

I have no idea about purchasing a golf cart but do have a few questions. My DH is close to retiring and we have been thinking of moving to a retirement community. It seems like everyone has carts. What are the rules for driving them? Street legal - or just in your community, licensed drivers only, seat belts, number of passengers? Do you license/register/insure them with the state? Is this expensive? Obviously, I have just started to research this.

I have no idea about purchasing a golf cart but do have a few questions. My DH is close to retiring and we have been thinking of moving to a retirement community. It seems like everyone has carts. What are the rules for driving them? Street legal - or just in your community, licensed drivers only, seat belts, number of passengers? Do you license/register/insure them with the state? Is this expensive? Obviously, I have just started to research this.
That's going to depend entirely on your state, and maybe even local city ordinances.

Sure, we cut a deal on ours back 3 years ago plus had them install a long roof (instead of the standard short roof) and a high speed motor (top speed now is 30 mph) and then sold them back the original roof and motor.

To drive on the street here in Florida we needed signal lights, stop lights, head lamps and tail lamps. I addition we added an insurance policy that gives us the same coverage as our auto (collision, property damage, liability and underinsured/uninsured motorist) We have to stay inside our community gates and the driver must have a valid drivers license on them. No state registration is needed. We do have sheriff patrols inside the gates.

If you get a plug in electric cart, don't forget to check if it qualifies for a tax credit. Some vehicles are eligible for up to $7500. The tax credit include carts and cars, and there are some 2014/2015 models included. Look under IRS IRC 30D for info.

(as always, if this is against dis rules to post, please delete. :thanks: )

Thanks everyone for the replies! I made the purchse, and was able to talk them down from 3265 before tax to 3100 out the door. I think if I had actually had my cash WITH me, he would have done 3k. Not too shabby though for my first time trying to negotiate!
not specifically a golf cart, but I did negotiate when purchasing our john deere gator from a dealership. I researched prices so I had an idea of what was a good deal, but I also figured in what I would need to pay for insurance each year as part of the cost (we have golf cart owners around here that use them strictly for tooling around, and our insurance agents point out that coverage is advisable). I got the price down somewhat but the real savings was getting them to throw in a 2 year extension on the warranty that INCLUDED pickup and delivery-which if you don't have a trailer ends up costing quite a bit if you have to take it in).
The dealer did deliver for free and gave me a little maintenance upkeep inservice. He included a 12 month warranty. Like you said, he also advised insurance and said it is usually very inexpensive. He said most people dont, but there is also a $5 registration sticker that I need to get from the dmv!

I am so super excited. We rode all around the neighborhood jamming to disney music on pandora! Next step will be to get a cool disney vinyl sticker for it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter