Negativity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mtlhddoc2 said:
Some of the rides that people say were "sure-fire winners" I rode as well. And I thought this "sure-fire winner" wasted his time making an incredibly lame ride. Subjective it is. Knowing someone does not mean they will pick you, even 2 of the ride runnerups I know have a BAD reputation among staff. So, this judging may hav ebeen SLIGHTLY biased, of course, they always are. I though some of the rides I rode were great, some were not so great, but then some anonymous diser would come along and say how "great" this ride is and how much is "deserved to win" and all the while I am laughing so hard it is not even funny. everyone deserved to win, and guess what? EVERYONE DID - EVERYONE got an orange pin! Give it a rest. I personally have felt in the past that some really BAD room have won the best guest room, but you know what? It is subjective there as well. Life is not fair, you will not always get a trophy just for competing. Deal with it. I pulled my son out of soccer because there were no winners and no loosers, everyone got the same stupid trophy and it teaches him a BAD lesson.

mtlhddoc2 what is the bad lesson there? I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, I got mixes messages. :confused3

~C.B.

the bad lesson is that noone ever looses, it is called coddling, if you do not experience loss then you do not know how to deal with loss. My children know what loss is about and know how to handle it. My neighbors kids do not and never did. 1 of them is now in jail because he does not know how it is not possible for him to have anything he wants whenver he wants.

no mixed messages. Everyone deserves to win, but only some will. Thats life. The refs are not always blind, they do not always favor one team blah blah blah.

ash410 said:
Oh and today - I was called mean and horrible for shooting and killing someone in a capture the flag game... hmm because... its capture the flag, and I cant defend the flag?! hmm..

I can beat that! Someone called drutdrut a cheater plus a bunch of other interesting things because drutdrut shot and killd them during a Ship Battle game! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I didn't say anything, I just laughed.

My favorite stupid pirates stunt is when people get bombed to bits immediately and then tell the players who are still alive to get health. No wait, that's not my favorite, this is: The players who get bombed to bits immediately start complaining because the game is taking too long. Then they get really stupid and tell the remaining players they stink at the game! They start saying stuff like, "Stop running!" and "Shoot you dumbo!" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm just glad the Holiday Cheer almost always over powers the negativity! :teeth:

Belle1997 said:
So I will not be entering another single competition not because of bad judging because I worked too hard, cared too much and just don't have what others have in there creativity.

I think your creativity is just fine! The unfortunate problem is only 2% of the participants were recognized. More people need to be commended by name for their efforts in this contest.

As for entering another individual competition, I think you should go for it! Just don't invest so much of yourself in building it. At least you will get the participation prize.

Keep your chin up! You did a great job and deserve to be recognized for it. Hopefully this post will help with that :goodvibes but I'd really like to see your name on a VMK page!

mtlhddoc2 said:
Some of the rides that people say were "sure-fire winners" I rode as well. And I thought this "sure-fire winner" wasted his time making an incredibly lame ride. Subjective it is. Knowing someone does not mean they will pick you, even 2 of the ride runnerups I know have a BAD reputation among staff. So, this judging may hav ebeen SLIGHTLY biased, of course, they always are. I though some of the rides I rode were great, some were not so great, but then some anonymous diser would come along and say how "great" this ride is and how much is "deserved to win" and all the while I am laughing so hard it is not even funny. everyone deserved to win, and guess what? EVERYONE DID - EVERYONE got an orange pin! Give it a rest. I personally have felt in the past that some really BAD room have won the best guest room, but you know what? It is subjective there as well. Life is not fair, you will not always get a trophy just for competing. Deal with it. I pulled my son out of soccer because there were no winners and no loosers, everyone got the same stupid trophy and it teaches him a BAD lesson.

That is exactly what I have been trying to say. The winning rooms won because it was the opinion of 5 people, not because they deserved it more than others. Contests like these are always judged on opinions. If someone cooks something that one person thinks is awesome - not everyone else will think so. We all have different tastes and opinions. That is what life is all about. Everyone is different - What is great to one person may be a total dud to another. We have next to no idea what the judges were looking for - so if you didn't win, it doesn't mean that your ride wasn't good, it just means it was not what they were looking for in this competition. No big deal. If you did your best and were happy with your room, and others enjoyed it-you have done what you set out to do. There will be a next time and maybe then you will have what they want. I am not saying that no one should feel disappointed, your feelings are just that- yours. But when we all have to put others down because we felt ours was better or we were more deserving, then what is the point?

Frankly I don't see how the judges did it at all... 2000 rides split between 5 judges- that is too much

They really should have limited the number of entrants- and probably will if they ever do another individual competition

The competition is subjective and I've seen in past contests and in guest rooms that some people rave about as the "best" and I'm not impressed at all- see it is all subjective- and when you enter these types of contests you have to accept the fact that some you like may not win and others you aren't impressed with do win... same goes for contests like Science and social studies fairs, American idol, etc...

And in defense of Pink and Rolls- Pinks ride was awesome for color- it just popped off the screen- more than any other ride I saw (and only complaint I had about pinks ride was that it wasn't orange) and like Briar said before- this is Roll's first win in the three competitions- despite any friendships she may have with staff- she has made great rides in the past that should have gotten a nod and didn't- I was happy to see her name there-

I agree about the negativity and whining though- but I think it it more a reflection on real life too- people seem to whine when anything doesn't go their way- which is different from venting (venting allows you to blow off steem without bringing down others) or constructive criticism- (stating opinions on what you feel could be done to make something better)

Frankly I'd like to see an unwritten rule here- complain all you want- but for each and every complaint say two things good and if you are venting about a problem offer your own solutions- There are quite a few DISers who I often cringe to see their names because I know their posts are usually going to be something negative and then there are others who I love to read because they are always uplifting and exciting and make me smile.

and really some of the name stating and belittling of others is really sad- especially when it comes from the adults on this board- and all it does it show the kids a bad example of how to behave.

perhaps if we all used a little more restraint before posting it would be better:
1. read your post before you hit submit- does it say what you really want it to?
2. right out your post and email it to a friend and see what their response to it is- maybe you should reword or eliminate some things
3. wait a while before posting- think about it for a while, let the steam you are feeling die out a little before you post- you may find you don't even feel the same way the next day
4. Keep in mind that the written word (even with the added smilies) does not always get read the same by everyone and can easily be mis-interpreted to mean something else you never intended.
5. Is your life really over because you didn't win a contest, didn't get that rare item, lost a game of pirates? If you answered yes- time to step away from the computer, spend time with your family and friends (or make some new friends), read a book, get some exercise- but when what happens in an online game causes you to "cry all day" or "want to kill" then it really is time to do something else- take a break for a bit- and you may find a different attitude when you return.

Ok- there's my own thoughts, opinions, minor vent lol- just remember the game is for fun- not stress- let things roll off your back and move on to the next great adventure of the game.

Last time I tried to make a thread like this I got flamed... because people said i was whining about whining.

I don’t normally bump up old posts, but I was away when this discussion took place. Someone pointed it out to me, and I wanted to share my thoughts on it since some people seem to think that I won because I’m a staff pet.

As others have been so kind to point out, this is the first time I have won a ride competition. I know the sting of having a ride that you are really proud of not win. In the Everest competition, team Boogies just kind of threw a ride together with no rhyme or reason--it was OK, but not deserving of a win when compared to others. In the water slide competition, I thought team Boogies did an excellent job. We came up with a unique theme, and had a lot of fantastic rooms (several of which got recognized with best guest rooms after the winners of that competition was announced).

My only win came for my game--Doorway to Boogies prizes, which I worked hard on, kept open for long hours, and gave a way hundreds of prizes. None of my other games or quests have been acknowledged, and most have not even been visited by staff. I’ve had a least one other game, and about 10 quests that I’ve opened that were never visited by staff or recognized. So, I’m far from a regular winner around here. I have probably spent a million credits creating games and quests, and giving away prizes for them. I don’t do it to get wins. I do it because I enjoy creating games and quests for others to play. Although getting recognized by VMK staff is nice, it’s not the reason I create things--I do it because it’s fun, and hopefully enhancing the game for other players.

I will say that this competition, I went in there with no expectations. I did come up with a concept based around the tree in my third room. I was proud of my ride, and thought it was definitely in contention to win a prize (I really thought my third room was a wow room). I got great feedback on my ride from both DISers and non-DISers telling me how great my ride was--especially the tree. So, I truly think that my room won on it’s own merits--not on any friendship I may have with a host.

As for saying that my win was because I’m a staff pet, to my knowledge, Lily was the only staff member who road my ride. I have had very limited interaction with Lily (actually, it may be none at all). So, if I’m correct that Lily is the staff member who road my ride, even if the other staff were involved in the actual decision, it was Lily who must have brought my ride to their attention because she thought that my ride was deserving of a prize.

The only staff member that knows me is Hula, and to my knowledge, she did not ride my ride this time around. She has been kind to me and my friends in the game. She has even jumped on the Boogies wagon. I have found her to be exceptionally fair and generous to players on VMK. I do try to get into games when she is hosting because I think her games are fair and fun. In return for her hard work on the games, I simply treat Hula with respect, just as I do with any other host. I make sure I thank them every time I play one of their games, and just treat them kindly.

I do wish that they had given out more prizes in this competition--as others have said the amount of prizes did seem low for the amount of entries. There were many rides that could have won that didn’t. But since it is all subjective based on the thoughts of the judges, it’s hard to say what they will think, as we all have our own likes and dislikes. Lily liked my ride--maybe if another staff member had ridden it, they woulldn’t have like it. I guess I just had luck on my side this time.

Oh my word!! I just now found this thread, and seriously some of the posts here make me want to cry.

How dare some of you make such accusations against me!

For the record, I am NOT friends with ANY staff member on VMK. Not a one!! I have NEVER had a conversation with staff before that posted picture was taken. That was the very FIRST time I have talked with a staff member (other than a quick hi if I pass by in a public room) and it's the first time staff have EVER just popped into my room!! Sparky & Hula were out visiting the winning rooms - that's all. They did not stop by because they knew the name PinkGirlygirl. Yes, Hula says "Pink rocks" in that picture and I'd love to think she was talking about ME, but she's talking about the COLOR pink! I am just a lowly peon in the kingdom - staff members don't know me from a hole in the wall.

How wrong you were! You couldn't have been further from the truth. The next time you choose to make false accusations and slander someone, I suggest you get your facts straight first!!

And Mal? I know you told us to keep this civil and not name names, but I'm sorry, I have to say some things here. Lock the thread if you must, but I need to defend myself against a few immature and selfish comments made against me.

MIB Rocks -You don't even KNOW ME! How dare you suggest that the only reason I won was because I was friends with staff. WRONG!! Go back to the Universal Boards where you belong.

Tampa/Ranch - Your comments hurt me the most, "buddy". This is how you treat your MM team members? First of all, you never even RODE MY RIDE! That was a big disappointment to me in the first place. How do you get off insinuating that the only reason I won was because I brown-nosed with staff?! I am through. Take me off the team. I can't deal with your tantrums anymore. I've already gone through the "terrible twos" with all three of my boys; I have no desire whatsoever to re-enter that stage again..

And to my fellow MM team members that are reading this, I love you guys and I've made some wonderful friendships that I hope won't be affected by this decision, but I won't deal with this crap from Ranch any longer.

And to those of you that posted publically supporting me, a HUGE HUGE thanks to you all. Your comments meant more to me than you can ever know. :grouphug:

Boy, am I glad I came across this thread.... Ok, back to vacationing at WDW :wave2:

Mal, feel free to lock it up now. ;) I'm done. If I say anymore, it will get ugly.

threeboysmom said:
MIB Rocks -You don't even KNOW ME! How dare you suggest that the only reason I won was because I was friends with staff. WRONG!! Go back to the Universal Boards where you belong.

Never said it was the only reason you won. I said it helps to be friends with staff. OK, maybe you personally are not on staff friends list, but I know for a fact some of the other winners are. Heck, they even broadcast it here on the boards by letting people know that Staff was in their room for judging. I didn't enter the contest anyway so I have no reason to be jealous or resentful of you. Just making observations. :thumbsup2

threeboysmom said:
Tampa/Ranch - Your comments hurt me the most, "buddy". This is how you treat your MM team members? First of all, you never even RODE MY RIDE! That was a big disappointment to me in the first place. How do you get off insinuating that the only reason I won was because I brown-nosed with staff?! I am through. Take me off the team. I can't deal with your tantrums anymore.

It is done.

MIB Rocks said:
Never said it was the only reason you won. I said it helps to be friends with staff. OK, maybe you personally are not on staff friends list, but I know for a fact some of the other winners are. Heck, they even broadcast it here on the boards by letting people know that Staff was in their room for judging. I didn't enter the contest anyway so I have no reason to be jealous or resentful of you. Just making observations. :thumbsup2

I agree that some of the winners do have Staff on their lists they are Community Leaders they are supposed too. Other people who are not CL, I would not state you know for a fact - since you do not (unless you provide us with another screenshot). :thumbsup2 Do you realize that alot of these players have been playing VMK since Beta? - so yes Staff will know them - especially Hula and Phinny - they have been around that long. We have even played Staff games before they were even on a schedule.

Making observations is fine - as long as they are not accusatory. Providing a screenshot of a conversation in my opinion is showing sour grapes. I am glad that staff did come around and visit after the winners were announced. Hula should be able to visit any rooms she wants to.

Kudos to the winners! Kudos to the Staff - they had a hard job to do. Just like in real life - everyone does not get to win. We have to deal with that fact. Yet another lesson in life.

disvaclub92: My issue with this thread is really that many of the "complainers" have benefitted from being staff suckups in the past in other ride competitions or game room pins and are now whining because they have to share

I have been around since beta too, I know all the staff members, but none are on my lists, and I never asked.

mtlhddoc2 said:
disvaclub92: My issue with this thread is really that many of the "complainers" have benefitted from being staff suckups in the past in other ride competitions or game room pins and are now whining because they have to share

I have been around since beta too, I know all the staff members, but none are on my lists, and I never asked.

I hope you're not referring to anyone around here, bub. I've won previous
ride contests and guest rooms, but you will never find me complaining that
I didn't win THIS time.

I think there were many very talented people who were disappointed in the
outcome, but I think they all were mature enough to congratulate the
people who have won.

I am really sad that someone had to take a screen shot to vilify people.

I was not referring to anyone in particular. They ones who are, know who they are. and actually, in my opinion, staff has gotten much better in most cases about NOT catering to the suckups. Which has caused a select few to really blow a gasket when they do not win.

I would of did the competition if I would of made credits more easier, but since I can't I didn't do it. You're supposed to have fun with the competition, not complain if you didn't win. JMO

BriarRosie said:
I am really sad that someone had to take a screen shot to vilify people.

Just to let everyone know, that I took that screen shot. I posted it on a congratulations thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1295467&page=1&pp=15 and other people copied it to another thread to turned it into something that they knew NOTHING about just to ease their petty jealousy.

I'm really getting tired of all this post winning bashing going on. Friendships have been strained and broken due to inappropriate comments being made. It is sad to see people react this way, where you can't even congratulate a good friend without people taking things out of context.

Since this thread has gone way off course of the OP's original intention and does not show signs of improving, I think it's time to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter