• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Negativity on the boards

I'm still not over that. I'm trying to separate out Epcot from the rest of the resort. Epcot to me is ruined anyway for this and other reasons.

This kind of negative thread (and yes it is negative) only seems to come up about criticism of FP+ and also somewhat MDE. I have seen so much griping over the years and I've wondered many times why certain people still go to WDW if so much is wrong. Criticism of resorts and restaurants and CM behavior and so on and so on goes on constantly and has for many years. I do wonder why the sudden need to focus solely on any criticism of FP+? I don't agree that a certain group of posters criticize everything because if you take a close look the fuss is really about FP+.

Personally, my biggest hang up is the destruction of Norway as I mentioned above. I still feel rage when I think about it so am I too negative about that? Or does that not matter since it doesn't involve FP+? I don't get it.

Oh I'm still not over it either. But I can be more graceful about it. Still not happy.

I think that if you state that the bathrooms are more dirty or I saw guest overindulging at F&W, you have another poster state Well I never saw that. It can lead to some negativity either way.

Reactions: GAN
I view a fairly good amount of threads -but honestly, I'm not sure which threads you would be referring to because the bulk of what I read is positive. Sure there was a bathroom thread, and there always seems to be the is DVC a Value thread, and the I went to Disney and had a terrible time thread. Some of the criticism that I see is well deserved, and from people who have been visiting WDW since its onset -to some extent aimed at Disney employees that read this board. I must be either lucky or just have a good eye to stay away from threads that just have no interest to me or are potentially negative. Just my point of view -of course, my wife calls me Captain Oblivious!
Love the nickname....it made me laugh!

I look at the boards every morning. It's my version of reading the newspaper....LOL. There will always be negative Nancy's in the world. I guess that's why we can't achieve world peace. But....for the most part I hear excitement and joy when people are talking about one of their favorite places! It brightens my day....and I can celebrate with folks from all over the planet! How wonderful is that. I'm grateful for the Disney Boards. I can spend time with people who share my love for Disney. The negative comments can be informative sometimes....just a few cautionary tales. I understand people have challenges with things changing. I tend to embrace change....everything changes over time....it is inevitable. So....in the spirit of this reality, I welcome the new, commiserate over things lost and move ahead. Disney is still the most magical place on earth....even with it's imperfections!

I didn't bring this up to rehash the Norway thing but to make the point that we can all be negative about various things. It just seems that being negative about FP+ really annoys more people for some reason.

I think it is beause it seems that so many threads about completely different topics seem to get turned into FP+ criticism/bashing/ridicule/sarcasm/snarkiness by the same group of posters.

If you want to read about negativity go to the post "Magic is in the eye of the Beholder??" Someone in there doesn't believe in Magic! It may ruffle your feathers....be forewarned!

I think it is beause it seems that so many threads about completely different topics seem to get turned into FP+ criticism/bashing/ridicule/sarcasm/snarkiness by the same group of posters.
FP+ and the whole MDE system are, by far, the most monumental change to ever hit Disney World. It has totally thrown people off their game as far as how they plan, how they tour the parks, etc. I totally understand people being negative about it.

The point, though, is that people need to learn to disagree without being disagreeable. You can post something that is negative without espousing negativity.

Fp+ seems to be the biggest issue by far.
What I don't understand is why people who post a honest opinion about it get attacked?
I see it on both sides.pro fp+ and con fp+.
This topic is far and away the most negative generating discussion at this time.
Not getting into my thoughts on fp+, just how I noticed that so many of these threads get very nasty.

Didn't get to read all the replies so apologies if this has already been brought up, but I think it's somewhat human nature for people to create a review or initiate a discussion when they have a negative perspective. How often do we have a poor experience at a restaurant or hotel and feel compelled to tell the world, whether it be to friends and family or on Facebook or even a site like Yelp or Trip Advisor. If I have a good time or everything was as expected, I know I'm probably not quite as vocal about it. I do take reviews with a grain of salt, because I try to keep this in mind. IMO, I think some of the board negativity would stem from this type of behavior. And some people just like to complain!

The message of the RVA Dis Meet - both the podcast and just the event off camera in general - was coming together over a love of Disney and sharing that love with others who love Disney. I can't speak for the other attendees, but that is what I came away from the meet feeling, and that is why DH and I are going to other meets in the future.[/QUOT

As another attendee, I completely agree with you.

I think the negativity about things depends on what parts of the board you red. For example with Magic bands I see two very different things when i look threw threads in the theme park planing vs, the trip reports ones. Most of the tripreprts I've red all have positive things to say about them whereas most of the ones I see on the theme park board are all doom and gloom "we like the old way better and are never going back again until they fix it."

I think that Pete made his feelings very clear near the opening of the show as far as how he feels about the negativity. As far as I am concerned, these are his boards and he funds the operation of these boards through his company. These boards are not a platform for unbridled free speech. I think he generously allows more leeway on these boards than many I have seen in the past. He is also not a Disney apologist but can recognize when enough is enough.

But let's also take a look at what he said in hi s solo "sick podcast." "There is nothing worse than a crowded park with Cast Members who don't care...It's going on. It's out of control at Walt Disney World...and it's only getting worse....Quality has decreased dramatically as a result..."

If any number of Board members had posted that here, many would likely take those comments as unnecessary negativity and a Board War would ensue. Pete understands that Disney quality is the subject of proper criticism, and I don't think he would want to try to stifle such discussion in the least. I think that the negativity that he was talking about has more to do with personal battles and "post stalking" where certain people seem compelled to jump on every post made by certain other people. On both sides. And this creates mini-wars and results in hostility that often leads to people getting reported to the moderators who issue warning, points, suspensions and evictions. And this, in turn, leads to even greater levels of hostility and ill-will.

And this creates mini-wars and results in hostility that often leads to people getting reported to the moderators who issue warning, points, suspensions and evictions. And this, in turn, leads to even greater levels of hostility and ill-will.

Really ...the moderators do all that? Who would've guessed. I'd love to see a list of the points leaders......

I don't think Pete was implying it's too negative here. Nobody rants more than Pete. I think he would tell you his show is meant to provide a balanced view of Disney - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I would like to add a bit of positive attitude. First time using the FP+ app and I was dreading it, in reality it was really simple to use and quick and the availability was great too, a big thumbs up to Disney that that.

I get it now. When Peter or John or Kevin (luv you guys!) criticize Disney its adorable and they are looking out for all of us, but when anyone else hammers the company's clumsy, irksome changes, some posters feel we are purely "mean" or "negative."

How incredibly noble to advocate for a monolithic multi-billion conglomerate faced with honest criticism from a housewife in Peoria!

Pollyanna, or Disney PR intern, I sometimes wonder.

I have loved Disney as long as I can remember. I have also found the atmosphere in the parks toxic on my last two visits, from the rope drop herd to disdainful or disinterested cast members (NOT just the college program kids), all made worse by the incestuous shoe-horned cross-branding like Frozen Norway, and I want the parks back. As long as there is a forum to make my opinions known, I intend to use it.

Most areas of the boards, I find to be pretty much balanced. I think really the only area of the boards that has an over-abundance of negativity is the Theme Parks Strategies board. I often find myself avoiding that section because of it. It just seems there are a group of posters who are determined to turn almost every other thread into a FP+ bashing session - regardless of the original subject of the thread. I get the challenges of FP+, but at some point, you have to accept that it's here to stay and stop pining for the return of legacy FP. That doesn't mean you have to embrace FP+ and love it, but you don't need to bash it every 5 minutes either - especailly in discussions focused on other topics. There's nothing constructive in that.

The post above is quite accurate. FP+ is the issue that draws most of the negativity. That's fine..........people have their opinion and there are times I've found it constructive. When it gets whiney is when I get a bit put off...........should I be? Well probably not but I get tired of hearing "how it was so much better back in the day" and "how Disney is screwing us". That kind of talk, after awhile is wasted energy to me..........but I wouldn't stop it (unless it got rude :mad:). The forum is open.......but what I don't like is some folks (NOT ALL......) don't want to hear a dissenting opinion to there complaining...............my thought is............if you post it...........you need to be prepared for support and for disagreement.............right :D

Doug :goofy:

I get it now. When Peter or John or Kevin (luv you guys!) criticize Disney its adorable and they are looking out for all of us, but when anyone else hammers the company's clumsy, irksome changes, some posters feel we are purely "mean" or "negative."

How incredibly noble to advocate for a monolithic multi-billion conglomerate faced with honest criticism from a housewife in Peoria!

I have loved Disney as long as I can remember. I have also found the atmosphere in the parks toxic on my last two visits, from the rope drop herd to disdainful or disinterested cast members (NOT just the college program kids), all made worse by the incestuous shoe-horned cross-branding like Frozen Norway, and I want the parks back. As long as there is a forum to make my opinions known, I intend to use it.

This is a good example of the type of negativity that I was talking about. When people start using the words like "toxic" and " incestuous" to describe WDW, it just makes me angry. Just because there is a forum that allows you to post does not mean that you don't have to do so in a responsible manner. That goes beyond just having an opinion on something you don't agree with to using extreme hyperbole to bash the parks.

WOW! I love this post:) Esp the part about jumping on a housewife from Peoria for having the audacity to state an opinion, that was probably espoused already by the above mentioned on the pod cast. It's definitely okay for some, not for others. I'm tired of seeing certain posters jump on others with THEIR negativity when someone posts a comment about what they have actually seen or experienced. Obviously everyone on this board loves Disney, otherwise, why keep up with this board. I personally love to hear ALL the remarks, whether someone else thinks they are negative or positive. So, thanks DD for a really unique post:)

Oh, I meant to say to Devilsdandruff: Get ready to be flamed (but certainly not with THEIR negativity, just their self righteous opinions and attitudes! Get your flame proof cape on, and I will too:) I loved the humor in your post and think we really needed a post like that!

Bugdad --- Pete and his crew have used far more incendiary language to describe things at the parks. i would like for you to go on record, right now, and call them destructively hyperbolic. thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter